Republicans thoughts on Clint's chair ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
I saw Clint's chair talk to invisible Obama. I was wondering if Republicans actually thought he was making much sense ?

To me it mostly sounded like an 82 year old man who wasn't sure what he was saying and I felt sad for him. Also, most of his points seemed to me like nothing more but rousing of partisanship.

Thoughts ?

I felt a little sad for him as well. I really like Clint Eastwood but i dont think he really added anything to the convention. Actually, it seemed more like masterbation to me. A convention of old white men brought in an old white man to what, bring fence sitters to the gop side? They werent aiming to bring in the young votes with him - he isnt relevent to most youngsters. I realize that these conventions are mainly just circle jerks, but Clint was unnecessary.

Not a republican, but I think a little light satire is preferable to a lot of other more fiery forms of criticism.

(Disclaimer: I'm a German with no more stake in this than the "rest of the world" in general has in american politics, which of course affect us)

I looked at it on youtube just to see what all the hubub was about. I think the idea was actually rather funny, but... it seemed really poorly rehearsed. With proper timing and less stuttering it could have been a nice bit of political satire (if certainly not more than that), but as it was, I thought the delivery was severely lacking. Still, the media echo seems disproportionate.

I'm not at all a republican. I thought the idea was cute, but was so dismally executed that it was a net negative. Seems like clint is slipping. I always liked him and his movies, and politics aside he seemed somewhat out of touch. Sad.

I looked at it on youtube just to see what all the hubub was about. I think the idea was actually rather funny, but… it seemed really poorly rehearsed. With proper timing and less stuttering it could have been a nice bit of political satire (if certainly not more than that), but as it was, I thought the delivery was severely lacking. Still, the media echo seems disproportionate.

That was actually part of the point: it was off the cuff; not rehearsed. It was a subtle jab at the need for teleprompters by Obama and Biden, but the execution proved to be a bit rambling. some people are taking it more than it was, but then, that's fair in a democracy.

I have another thought about this that I haven't seen brought up: it helped to serve Eastwood's own image for the flack he took over the Superbowl commercial. To some it seemed e was endorsing Obama for bailing out the auto industry.

It made sense for him to do this ad for Chrysler considering the movie Gran Torino was about the changing face of American society with the car and the auto-industry serving as a thread and a metaphor respectively.

The speech allowed him to set the record straight where his political ties are.

Its also the kind of thing that has been a truism in media since the 1980's if not (a lot) sooner: it seems more important that people are talking about you or your image than the content, good or bad.

The closest things I've heard so far to Eastwood's chair has been Michelle Obama's nails, Chris Christie's endorsement of himself in four years, Bill Clinton likes Barack now, or that Ann Romney is a good mom.

Focus on the substances! Can you imagine the possibilty of such speech be allowed when Dubya was in place? Mitt might as well be sitting on the chair. Do you really think Clint would give a $%# about "Party"?

Back
Top Bottom