Using Linux for Diagnostic Purposes

Rills

Sentinel
Four of my six USB 3.0 rear ports have failed almost all at once (system isn't even quite 2 years old).. I am working with Gigabyte support and then asked me to use my keyboard in the BIOS and in Safe Mode to see if the ports worked. They did not.

Someone who is highly tech savvy suggested that I burn Linux Mint to a DVD and see if the ports work under this OS. As he put it if they fail to work under Linux Gigabyte will have a difficult time denying that ports are anything but dead.

So I have successfully burned Linux Mint to a DVD. Now am I understanding this process correctly?

1. DVD drive needs to be first bootable in BIOS.

2. At start-up Linux Mint should then engage before Windows even has a chance to load.

3. While under Mint see if my keyboard works in the USB ports that are not currently working in either BIOS or Safe Mode.

Correct? One other question. Once I am done using Mint is there a place designated where I can just exit and move on to Windows? Sorry for the noob questions but I am in territory that is new to me.

Never mind. I took the chance and it worked and it actually provided the means to the diagnostics I needed. Going to have to remember Linux for diagnostic needs.

Last edited:
For the record, what was the problem with the ports?

For the record, what was the problem with the ports?

For almost two years the back panel USB 3.0 ports worked flawlessly. But then the port that my scanner was attached to died. About a week later the ports that my mouse and keyboard were inserted to died and so did the port that my printer was attached to. So 4 out of 6 ports died suddenly.

Keep in mind I never fooled with this system in any way. Once I built it I left it as is; no overclocking and no power surges to speak of (I have a really good surge protector just in case).

Following Gigabyte's directions as stated in the OP plus utilizing Linux Mint the ports are all dead. The keyboard won't work in any except the two that still function.

I will be RMAing said board to Gigabyte. That is as much as I know.

So this Sunday afternoon I will be taking out my motherboard, packing it up and sending it off. I am worried though because I have read too many stories where Gigabyte can't replicate the issue and send the board back only to have the same issues occur for the owner. Or they send it back a replacement board that has been used with wear and tear. My board is pristine.

Plus it may take 5 weeks or longer to have it returned. :(

Back
Top Bottom