Games for Windows Live Pricing Revealed

txa1265

SasqWatch
Another GDC tidbit -

Microsoft finally, finally revealed just how much they're going to be charging for the Games for Windows Live and despite popular speculation (and hope), it's no where near free. In fact, the model rings in at the same price as a yearly subscription to an Xbox 360 membership: $49.99 a year ($7.99 a month, $19.99 for three months) for Gold, while Silver, as it is on Xbox, is free.

Apparently if you are already an XBOX Live (paid) member it carries over, but otherwise expect to shell out in order to get ... um ... 'achievements'?

Another note:
With Live working as a matchmaking service and not hosting games (that's actually what you're doing), is it fair for Microsoft to expect PC owners to pay the same for the Live experience?

My thought - NO!

you mean we have to pay if we want to play Halo 2 online on the PC ?!?!?!

you mean we have to pay if we want to play Halo 2 online on the PC ?!?!?!

If you actually want to get matched against 'friends' or be able to play against XBOX people, my understanding is 'yes'. There is a 'non-pay' level that is like GameSpy Arcade or XFire but not as good.

Laughable news, if true.

Laughable news, if true.

It will be less laughable when people find themselves unable to play games in the way they have been used to doing without sending MS $4 a month for pretty much nothing.

I never thought Microsoft's Windows gaming initiatives would really amount to much but I did think anything was better than nothing...now it just looks like their idea is to simply make the PC and Xbox 360 identical - same games on both platforms, use the 360 controller in Windows, pay the same online fees...

No thanks.

I have a policy of never paying for online play. Nothing has so far changed!! :)

I heard some rumors that they might not charge at all to preempt Sony from making any inroads ... should be interesting!

Back
Top Bottom