If you had been considering an XBox One, now is the time to change your mind.

No matter what gaming companies try and do. No matter what system makers try and do. There will always be someone out there smart enough to figure out how to get a game for free. Most I am sure that break whatever system in place don't even care about playing the game itself. The game is being smarter than the people that put the system in place.

This is the world, how many of us used Disk Doctor back in 80's to crack games to get endless life or more exp points.

I'll never knowingly let such an surveillance tool into my home. And if, I'd call it "Big Brother" or even "1984". But that'll never be.

Not interested in Xbone. I might buy a PS4, I've had some decent play out of PS3 exclusives (Demon Souls, Uncharted, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD, God of War, MGS series) but much less so with the X360 franchises (eg Halo, Gears of War).

More importantly this product is so anti-consumer I won't support MS by buying it. If PS4 goes the same way, it won't be getting my money either.

Sorry bro, but that's one of the silliest comments I've seen in awhile. There are multiple reasons why someone might want to sell a game, and they should have the right to do so if they wish.

OK, so it wasn't just me thinking 'what?!?'

I have never gotten the 'I don't see why anyone would want to ...' line of reasoning ... to me it is as asinine as the 'if you don't have anything to hide ... ' reasoning to defend the massive encroachment into personal privacy and freedom just over a decade ago in the US (that suddenly got renewed attention again).

There exists a huge 'first sale doctrine' in the US as legal precedent, and until digital downloads that held for games as well. I understand the desire to to battle piracy, but the reality is that all of these methods do little to nothing to stop piracy in the end.

And ultimately we should be able to sell our games ... all other arguments are sidelines.

And ultimately we should be able to sell our games … all other arguments are sidelines.

I just had an spontaneous thought :

If "selling things" was one big market - then they are effectively trying to withhold us from that market.
By not allowing us to sell used goods.

In fact, this is like ... Monopoly : Shutting out other market participants.

Reselling games is BS anyway. If it's not a game you want to keep don't buy it. Things would change very fast then.

Why is it BS? Are you against used bookstores too? Onve I am done with a game, if I don't want to play it again, I should have the option to sell it to someone else. It's mine.

OK, so it wasn't just me thinking 'what?!?'

I have never gotten the 'I don't see why anyone would want to …' line of reasoning … to me it is as asinine as the 'if you don't have anything to hide … ' reasoning to defend the massive encroachment into personal privacy and freedom just over a decade ago in the US (that suddenly got renewed attention again).

There exists a huge 'first sale doctrine' in the US as legal precedent, and until digital downloads that held for games as well. I understand the desire to to battle piracy, but the reality is that all of these methods do little to nothing to stop piracy in the end.

And ultimately we should be able to sell our games … all other arguments are sidelines.

The problem is with that logic, 1 person can buy the game and sell the game to anyone and that anyone can sell to someone else and so forth. The reason why publishers want DRM is because todays games cost atleast 50 million to make and if everyone did that they cant recoup costs. Hence why you saw big publishers dying last gen. The best way they can do this is imo to treat all single player games as rentals.

Why would I want to keep the game? I'm not a collector and I don't replay games. The major reason I bought the 360 is so I could trade games easily. I've already decided to not get the Xbox 1.

I wouldn't mind so much if the games price was much cheaper but we all know it will not be. For the Indie Developers, it will be a great opportunity for them to release cheaper priced games on various platforms. I don't need games that cost $50 million + to develop, the big guys that have stupid high costs are their own worst enemy.

The problem is with that logic, 1 person can buy the game and sell the game to anyone and that anyone can sell to someone else and so forth. The reason why publishers want DRM is because todays games cost atleast 50 million to make and if everyone did that they cant recoup costs. Hence why you saw big publishers dying last gen. The best way they can do this is imo to treat all single player games as rentals.

But in that regard games are unique - I can buy a paperback book that can be resold infinitely, a car that can be resold infinitely, a table that can be resold infinitely, a music CD that can be resold infinitely, a DVD that can be resold infinitely, and so on ...

And in none of those cases is the consumer beholden to the producing company's inability to come up with a proper business model.

I can buy a paperback book that can be resold infinitely, a car that can be resold infinitely, a table that can be resold infinitely, a music CD that can be resold infinitely, a DVD that can be resold infinitely, and so on …
Don't give them funny ideas :gorath:.

.. I can't even start. I can't figure out why anyone would be considering buying a next gen console six months before they show up. Do people really need six months to figure it out?

What I *am* interested in is what I'll need in my next PC to make sure console ports run smoothly.

But in that regard games are unique - I can buy a paperback book that can be resold infinitely, a car that can be resold infinitely, a table that can be resold infinitely, a music CD that can be resold infinitely, a DVD that can be resold infinitely, and so on …

And in none of those cases is the consumer beholden to the producing company's inability to come up with a proper business model.

I agree with that.

But in that regard games are unique - I can buy a paperback book that can be resold infinitely, a car that can be resold infinitely, a table that can be resold infinitely, a music CD that can be resold infinitely, a DVD that can be resold infinitely, and so on …

You can resell it for peanuts compared to what you pay and it's worth less each time. Books are pretty much worthless for resale unless it's a collectible.

Games can get resold a hundred times and it leads to people failing to be choosy about what they buy which leads to crap games.

Lol! Microsoft had that coming.
Yes they did the video should be called how"How to Win the Console War in 2 Minutes". I never seen so many people shout for joy on a console reveal.

Sony has no no drm and no authentication, but will feature a paid online service just like Microsoft had last generation. At least the rumors and facts of both systems are known now.

It's up to the buyer now to see what they prefer.:)

Last edited:
Wait - has it even been confirmed that the XBOX One plays game? I thought it was just for movies and music ;)

It is amazing how success/failure can absolutely flip-flop things in a generation - last time, Sony was so totally arrogant that gaming was secondary and they priced the PS3 out of control ... now the XBOX is trying to be your digital living room, and is priced much higher than before ... and the PS4 is all about gaming.

Personally, I'm not bothered by any of this. I have no interest in reselling and I don't think of games as "property" in the sense that most people do. I sympathise with people who views things differently, though.

As for the online requirement - I think that's part of a natural evolution that's unstoppable. In that way, I'd prefer it came around sooner rather than later - so people can adapt in less time.

But, again, it all comes down to games - like it does for all these platforms.

It's like with tablets and handhelds.

I have no use for their home media crap - but I guess it can be fun for a few minutes on a boring sunday. I just need access to the best games around.

Will the Xbox One and PS4 have exclusives that are truly worth playing? Most likely.

As such, I will have to get my hands on both.

Smart move by Sony. Many gamers will doubtlessly switch (back) to the PS4, and as someone who owns both the original Xbox and the 360 I have to say that I have no intention whatsoever to buy the Xbox One now.

Back
Top Bottom