The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

There are so many great soundtracks from bloodlines tbh, Darling Violetta, Tiamat, Chiasm, Lacuna Coil. But one that tends to get overlooked is this one

I'm usually pretty alone on this stuff, but here goes :smitten:

Good stuff. I prefer "Wings of Steel" off that CD.

Ah, new ears. Let the indoctrination begin! Ethereal goth and darkgaze, coming right up. Let's begin with this one:

"A Waiting Time" by Autumn

And raise the stakes with Ms. Victoria Lloyd:
"Deep" by Claire Voyant

And perhaps a slightly different direction courtesy of Ms. Erin Welton:
"Falling Sky" by Autumn's Grey Solace

Last edited:
Good stuff. I prefer "Wings of Steel" off that CD.

Ah, new ears. Let the indoctrination begin! Ethereal goth and darkgaze, coming right up. Let's begin with this one:

"A Waiting Time" by Autumn

But hear! That's more like it. Good stuff, haven't heard this yet. Autumn will definitely be on my list of new stuff to check out. Still digging my head into it all, mostly by the stuff last.fm keeps suggesting me..and the occasional youtube visit. Started with collide after discovering a poster in bloodlines. Instantly fell in love, especially songs like Falling Up, Wings of Steel, Razor Sharp and Slither Thing has made me fall completely in love.

edit: After listening..her voice reminds me so much of Emilie Autumn, funny coincidence

Last edited:
You might have a difficult time finding those. Pretty sure both of their cds are out of print. "The Hating Tree" is, IMO, the better of the two. I haven't actually checked in on them in a while. One of the guys left the band to focus on his Indian tribe a few years ago and I don't know if they ever replaced him or not. I believe Julie got married and had a kid, so I wouldn't be surprised if the band fell apart.

So you prefer stuff with a little harder edge, then? I don't have quite as much to offer in that direction since my interest in "goth" (to use a sloppy summary term) is an offshoot of my shoegaze stuff rather than a more direct interest. We'll see what I can dig up, though.

There are others here with a much deeper "goth" catalog to choose from. We might entice Jaz to offer up a few.

You could say that, but not necessarily. I don't feel bound by any sort of genre, as long as it peeks my brain cells in a positive way. I'd say my general range in examples would be Pink Floyd, anything from Steven Wilson, Collide/The Secret Meeting, Tool, My Dying Bride, Darzamat, Hanging Doll, Portishead, Vagrant God, Arkona, Eluveitie, Nirvana, Nox Arcana, Peter Gabriel, The Pineapple Thief, Dead Can Dance…I guess that list sort of shows some sort of variety of stuff I enjoy. Doesn't really have to be goth.

Finding stuff isn't really the biggest issue in these times. Even stuff out of print can be found overpriced at amazon or through digital distributors.

Last edited:
I'm usually pretty alone on this stuff, but here goes :smitten:

//Collide video skipped.

Interesting. Something I have to take a closer look (or listen) at. Thank you.

pibbur who notices that they have collaborated with Danny Carey of Tool fame. And who is not bothered by noise in music. And who is pleased by finding another Steven Wilson fan. Ahh.. The sky moves sideways.

Interesting. Something I have to take a closer look (or listen) at. Thank you.

pibbur who notices that they have collaborated with Danny Carey of Tool fame. And who is not bothered by noise in music. And who is pleased by finding another Steven Wilson fan. Ahh.. The sky moves sideways.

In that you are correct. I did not know that, pretty neat!
Oh, The Sky Moves Sideways are one of my favorites. Hugely underrated song of his as most tend to stick to the In Absentia/Fear of a Blank Planet albums...both which of course are great too with all due respect.

Well then, a quick glance gives me some more and less well-known acts.

I'd definitely look into Concrete Blonde, although you probably know about them already. On the rougher side of things, we've got:
"Wasteland" by Dreamgaze (Michael is tremendously cool and does some amazing drawings in addition to his music)
"Bandaid Covers the Bullet Hole" by Scarling
"Remember Me" by The Birthday Massacre

Smoother fare:
"Stir About the Stars" by Love Spirals Downward (one of my favorite tunes)
"In the Darkness" by Orchards and Vines (not really the track I wanted for this list, but it's all I could find)
"Where the Wind Goes" by The Shroud

What the hell, I'm on a roll… :)
"Clean the Traces" by Chandeen
"When Will It End" by Falling You (last.fm link)

Last edited:
Well then, a quick glance gives me some more and less well-known acts.

I'd definitely look into Concrete Blonde, although you probably know about them already. On the rougher side of things, we've got:
"Wasteland" by Dreamgaze (Michael is tremendously cool and does some amazing drawings in addition to his music)
"Bandaid Covers the Bullet Hole" by Scarling
"Remember Me" by The Birthday Massacre

Smoother fare:
"Stir About the Stars" by Love Spirals Downward (one of my favorite tunes)
"In the Darkness" by Orchards and Vines (not really the track I wanted for this list, but it's all I could find)
"Where the Wind Goes" by The Shroud

Still some of the more known stuff that I maybe should have known that I've yet to know, and some lesser known stuff that I have no idea how I ever got to know yet I'm grateful that I know..coincidence sure has a strange way.
From this list I only know The Birthday Massacre, which I love, and I'll sure have a look at this list. Thanks!

Back when MySpace was good, I discovered a lot of good stuff outside of my shoegaze roots. You started with a band you knew, jumped to some of their "friend" bands, and after getting about 4 levels deep you could get to some pretty obscure stuff and some of it was even good. ;)

Check out last.fm..you can do something similar there. Go to an artist page, then look for similar bands (should be at the right hand side). Pretty much how I found some of my obscure stuff that I listen to this very day.

Holy crap, somebody finally put up a youtube for blueScreen. That first cd was an absolute classic, no filler tunes at all. This was the song that introduced me to the band, but it's probably only my 4th favorite track on the cd. Ah, Delphine's sweet pipes. Connections...bass player Rob Lambke spent some time with An April March.

Enjoy the shoegaze bliss!

"Blue" by blueScreen

I find the shoegaze term hard to define to be honest, other than alt rock(?). But I just saw that Alcest is considered shoegazing..with roots in nothing less than black metal. Makes for interesting stuff. French band with french lyrics..but nevermind the lyrics, their music is great. Recommended if you don't know them already.

I find the shoegaze term hard to define to be honest, other than alt rock(?). But I just saw that Alcest is considered shoegazing..with roots in nothing less than black metal. Makes for interesting stuff. French band with french lyrics..but nevermind the lyrics, their music is great. Recommended if you don't know them

….
You've given me a lot of interesting music to examine more closely. We obviously (based upon the bands you've listed) have much in common when it comes to musical taste (including Alcest). My main interests are prog rock an progressive metal (dream theater), but I listen to many different flavours of metal, including goth metal. Beauty and the beast vocals!!!!

Thank you for that - and welcome to the watch!!!!!

Pibbur, who from the 13th foor, not particularly devilish, wishes that Tool would release new material more often. He still remembers the first time he listened to Lateralus

Last edited:
You've given me a lot of interesting music to examine more closely. We obviously (based upon the bands you've listed) have much in common when it comes to musical taste (including Alcest). My main interests are prog rock an progressive metal (dream theater), but I listen to many different flavours of metal, including goth metal. Beauty and the beast vocals!!!!

Thank you for that - and welcome to the watch!!!!!

Pibbur, who from the 13th foor, not particularly devilish, wishes that Tool would release new material more often. He still remembers the first time he listened to Lateralus

That's great! Thank you :thanks:
Have you ever heard Nahemah? It's a little more demanding, due to growling, but it's my favorite prog band. Deserves a lot more attention than it has.

That's great! Thank you :thanks:
Have you ever heard Nahemah? It's a little more demanding, due to growling, but it's my favorite prog band. Deserves a lot more attention than it has.

Never heard of them. Liked them and bought the album on eMusic. I'm not particularly fond of monster cookie vocals, but I like some of it. Especially when there's a mix of growls and clean vocals, either when there are two vocalists typical for goth metal bands, or when the same singer switches between the styles, like Åkerfeldt in Opeth. Which to some degree seems to be the case also with Nahemah.

This was acceptable to my ears, and their music is interesting, definitely a sight to behold. They surely know their instruments. In fact, they remind me a bit of Gojira, which i think is a great band.

pibbur who …. something

Somebody mentioned Darzamat. They give me an Evanescence feel to their music, not bad. I have to be in a certain type of mood to listen to this kind of music, but you might try a song called Virus by them. Cool tune. I'm not much of a music linker, so if someone else likes these guys, drop a link.

Somebody mentioned Darzamat. They give me an Evanescence feel to their music, not bad. I have to be in a certain type of mood to listen to this kind of music, but you might try a song called Virus by them. Cool tune. I'm not much of a music linker, so if someone else likes these guys, drop a link.
Probably me..I'm a massive Darzamat fan :blush: Never really considered them to be similar to Evanescence though. It's in many ways, to me at least, a little unique style. Sort of a symphonic style but with much deeper roots in black metal than most symphonic bands like epica, yet not as deep as bands such as Dimmu Borgir.
And the singer, Nera, has the most astonishing voice I've heard. She also has her solo project under the name of NeraNature.

Back
Top Bottom