RPGWatch Feature: The Whole Game in My Hand #10

Dhruin

SasqWatch
What's going on in the RPG world for portable gaming systems? Can you get a decent role-playing experience on the go? Join Mike Anderson as he continues his quarterly quest to keep you informed on the hits and misses of RPG's on the GBA, DS and PSP. As usual, Mike covers more games in a single article than I've played in the last year with around eight mini-reviews and a full, detailed review of Square Enix' The World Ends With You.

Read it all here.
More information.

Any idea why there is few RPG games on psp???

2 Days ago i buy the gods of war psp and i can say that i really enjoy it, bad thing is that is a action rpg, i am looking for a good rpg, i saw there is a final fantasy core something (VII). There is any other significant game out there?? i just see car games and shooters (lol).
________
Penny stock picks

Last edited:
I have a psp as well, there are rpg's out for it....check out wildarms...jean d'arc(sp) and valkyrie chronicles....there are more but can't member off the top of my head.

Totally stuck on final fantasy tactics a2 for DS though....

Any idea why there is few RPG games on psp???

Note that this is #10 - there have been good times and bad for the PSP, and some speculate that this period of inactivity is due to the 'near death' experience of the PSP is late 2006. But as was said, there are plenty of good games, particularly strategy-RPG's and a few decent jRPG's.

alot of publishers are scared to make games for it due to piracy.....it is very easy to do.

alot of publishers are scared to make games for it due to piracy?..it is very easy to do.

I hear nintendo DS got the same piracy problem, weird the number of games on nintendo is really high, also i notice there is lot of ports of games on psp but not on ds? weird.
________
Arizona Dispensaries

Last edited:
The piracy on DS issue is very small compared to the PSP. The PSP is second only to the PC in terms of ease and breadth of piracy. But that isn't the only reason for the current lack of games - but it is part of a larger trend. PSP also has the lowest 'tie-in' ratio of game platforms,

Actaully saying the psp is easier to use for piracy is wrong. With the ds all you have to do is buy a special cartridge that allows you to put a mini sd card in it and you can play homebrew and ds games off of it.

With the psp you either have to get a psp that has a downgrader specifically for it or go through the convoluted process of making a pandora battery and installing new custom firmware. Also there is always a risk that you will brick your psp by upgrading the custom firmware. (Which you would need to do to play newer games)

I know a lot about this because I like to use homebrew on my psp and when I had a ds I used a M3 to use homebrew on it. (I didn't like the rpgs out for the ds at the time so got rid of it)

PS. Also since ds games are on a cartridge they are smaller then psp games are.

PPS. Also mini sd cards are cheaper then memory stick pro duo.

PPPS. The only thing that is really better on the psp (besides playing music and videos) is the amount of homebrew out for the psp. There is so much more because it is much more powerful and can handle better software.

True - when the hacking scene was forced to do the Pandora thing it became much harder, but the other thing is the target audience. Sony has largely targeted the exact people who are most likely to be pirates.

And honestly, anyone who says they only hack their DS / PSP for homebrew is almost certainly one of those who 'reads Playboy for the articles' ... or part of a 0.1% population.

Note that this is #10 - there have been good times and bad for the PSP, and some speculate that this period of inactivity is due to the 'near death' experience of the PSP is late 2006. But as was said, there are plenty of good games, particularly strategy-RPG's and a few decent jRPG's.
Oops, guess that I missed the good times as far as RPGs go for the PSP.

I've always thought of the PSP as a nifty device for carrying around and playing some of the old PSX games that I really liked, or just never got around to finishing for one reason or another. The PSP also has some nice homebrew and is just about powerful enough to emulate even an N64, but the native games have always seemed to be incredibly lacking to me, along with the host of poor PSX ports.

Nice, well written article as usual. Too bad some magazine(or maybe newspaper) wouldn't pay you to actually write the column...

TWEWY: Couldn't really get into that one, but I expect that I'll give it another shot eventually.

Summon Night: I liked the GBA games, but this one on the DS just didn't grab me, but maybe I haven't forced myself to play through enough of it yet so I guess that it'll have to go onto the try again later pile.

[EDIT]
PSP & custom firmware, well when (if) I do get a PSP I surely don't plan on spending $600 extra for a dongle to allow me to play my old PSX games the way that Sony wants me to. Nope, I'll just slap on a custom firmware and pick up some pro duo memory sticks and make my own eboots from my original disks.

DS Flash cart: I actually use alot of the homebrew, but I also dump ROM images onto them in order to save me from carrying around a ton of cartridges like I used to do with my GBA, GB/GBC, and other handheld consoles that I've owned. Too many lost games/manuals.
[/EDIT]

You can direct purchase PSX games from the PSN Store on your PC and they are a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom