Elemental: War of Magic - Third Quarter 2010 Release Planned

magerette

Hedgewitch
Big Download has a bit of an update on the estimated release date of Stardock's turn-based strategy title, Elemental: War of Magic.
While the game's pre-order listing on the Impulse web site shows a February 15 release date, Big Download has confirmed with Stardock's PR rep that the game won't make that date. Instead the game is now set for a release sometime in the third quarter of 2010 (between July and September).
Third quarter of 2010 sounds realistic given that in their December update, the devs mentioned that the beta process still had several iterations to go. For those interested in more information on how multiplayer will be handled, there's a recent developer post on the official forums with videos and explanations, as well as a look at the tribulations of the beta testers.
More information.

They really should update the info on their web site. The community is, as always, very aware that it won't release in February, due to an extended beta (~12 months beta testing). But other people really might buy it in false hope of playing a finished product soon.

They should have a caveat that Brad has been harping publicly on the "It ain't coming out till we like it and if it takes more than a year to like it, I can pay the damn bills" line.

That's too bad for Stardock but I'll wait. I've got a full plate already with ME2, Draken2, Risen, DivDiv2 and Alpha Protocol coming up soon or just waiting for my gaming budget to recover. Heck I'm still planning on buying Sins of a Solar Empire yet someday.

Actually, end of July could be really good timing for them. After Alpha Protocol in May/June but I haven't heard of anything else coming out this summer/fall. Diablo 2 I think but there's probably not much direct competition for that.

If what's delaying the release is the multiplayer part, I wish they released the single player part and leave the multiplayer as a patch or something. I couldn't care less about multiplayer in any game (except MMOs of course).

No, it isn't just the multiplayer, from what I understand. Check the december update link which states Beta 2 is multiplayer/editor features, Beta 3 more fleshed out game, Beta 4 tactical battles, beta 5, polish and perfect and so forth.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/372152

Yes, the multiplayer is not that important to them. They simply wanted to let the community have a large say on the game mechanics and therefore added a really long beta-testing phase without any fancy graphics. Brad said something like: it has to be really fun without good graphics.

Works for me, would be happy to play it then.

Also means it won't clash with my strategy fix from Starcraft 2 :)

Too bad, I was looking forward too playing it soon. Maybe I should have preordered it so I could get a little taste of the game in the betas...

Works for me, would be happy to play it then.

Also means it won't clash with my strategy fix from Starcraft 2 :)

I'm *really* anticipating SC2. I'll be seriously pissed off if it gets delayed yet again.

Elemental looks interesting. I'm generally not a big fan of cel-shaded graphics, but it seems to work fairly well here.

http://www.elementalgame.com/media.asp

I'm *really* anticipating SC2. I'll be seriously pissed off if it gets delayed yet again.

Elemental looks interesting. I'm generally not a big fan of cel-shaded graphics, but it seems to work fairly well here.

http://www.elementalgame.com/media.asp

Pushed back to June apparently, don't know when you last saw a release date. Most annoying, but at least one can feel confident that the finished product is going to be flipping awesome.

I was sold on elemental the minute they said it was Master of Magic inspired, if they capture even a fraction of the charm of the original it'll be a definite buy

Pushed back to June apparently, don't know when you last saw a release date. Most annoying, but at least one can feel confident that the finished product is going to be flipping awesome.

June, Seriously? Last I checked it was still "to be determined". That sucks, but at least they kept their promise that it would be released in the first half of 2010. That is, if it doesn't get delayed again. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom