Two Worlds II - Preview @ Atomic Gamer

aries100

SasqWatch
A preview for this game can be found at Atomic Gamer. Here's something about the start of the game:
You start in a prison, which seems to now be considered the stereotypical only way to start out a fantasy RPG nowadays (admittedly, it was a precedent set decades ago by games that have gone down as some of the best in history). You'll be broken out of - stop me if you've heard this one - prison as part of the intro and will have to stop the big baddie Gandohar and save your sister, the convenient damsel in distress, to boot.
More information.

My RPG for October. Looking forward to playing around with all the customization options. Hope they got the balance right.

I am playing Two Worlds right now and that sounds like the same story. I am out to rescue my (only hot woman in the game...) sister and there is an NPC called Gandohar directing me around. I already suspect Gandohar is up to no good. Maybe I should just stab him in the face now and I don't need to play TW2 ;)

I had fun with Two Worlds. My minireview begun with "I could go on ranting what I did not like (about Two Worlds), but then I had to explain why I spent 13 days playing it, exploring almost every piece of the map."

I did explore about 75-90% of the map before rushing to the final fight to finish the game. It had many similarities to Gothic the way the world was crafted, but the balance was awful. I had a 99.50% combat efficiency with a mage, I only died 10 or so times near the beginning, then I finished the entire game using only 15 learning points put in fire magic. Loot was meaningless since monsters rarely got into close range anyway and I used no melee weapons.

I had maxed out firespell very early on, so almost everything dropped at range for me. I felt I only saw two monster types, either monsters could barely harm me, or monsters 1-hit killed me. Usually these two were placed in the same area. I could still kill the 1-hit monsters with only a few fireballs at range, so they were never that much of an issue. Eventually I begun using permanent potions and went from around 200hp to 1500 in a couple of minutes at which point I got pretty indestructable.

TW is smaller in content, less well written, far less balanced, but remind me about Gothic 3. The game is better than Forsaken Gods, definitely. All the content is there, with questfilled cities, an overarching quest line that brings you over the entire continent, a progressing main story etc, but also many large desolate areas with only scattered monsters. I say that if you beaten every other game of the type, nothing should stop you from trying TW out.

I am playing Two Worlds right now and that sounds like the same story. I am out to rescue my (only hot woman in the game…) sister and there is an NPC called Gandohar directing me around. I already suspect Gandohar is up to no good. Maybe I should just stab him in the face now and I don't need to play TW2 ;)

Yeah, the story really builds up suspense...

You are on to something. I believe you can end the game by killing Gandohar early:p

I found the game amusing enough. The trick was to not take it too seriously. It's a 3D free-form A-rpg somewhere between Oblivion and Diablo, and I like it better than both. Expecting a serious RPG will only lead to disappointment. Since I missed the hype (which I am told advertised the game as a more serious RPG) I didnt fall into that trap.

Balancing is just bad though. Since creature and PC damage output and HP can vary by a factor 100 or so you are likely to end up too powerful for various situations. Anyone with a basic grasp of maths could have predicted that:p

The story in the original TW was just plain bad. There's no way around that. We're talking a 5 hour quest if you rush it. When I think about it now, it might actually be even worse than Oblivion.

Still, the rest of the game makes it worth it - quite a few interesting locations, stuff to find, people to talk to. The samurai inspired place was my favourite.

Hopefully, TW2 is as good as it sounds. I'll definetly grab it once it's out.

I found the game amusing enough. The trick was to not take it too seriously.

Very true statement. The silliness and cheeziness of the dialogue often made me smile.

Same here. I'm currently playing Two Worlds I.

Some dialogs sound as if carefully read from a piece of paper. And as if the spoken dialogs were adapted to the figure's movement, not vice versa.

I remember when it was released that I actually liked the game more than Oblivion, but I got bored when I got too powerful. I reinstalled it recently and I got bored again. I'm starting to think that I should play with a "naked" character, would make things more fun.

Same here. I'm currently playing Two Worlds I.

Some dialogs sound as if carefully read from a piece of paper. And as if the spoken dialogs were adapted to the figure's movement, not vice versa.

The worst voice acting I find was all within the first hour or two, after that it has gotten better. Some of it is even quite good after that.

I agree, I've come across several more important NPCs, and THEIR dialogues are *considerably* better than of "nameless NPCs" !

Back
Top Bottom