GOG - Anvil of Dawn Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG has released a classic RPG called Anvil of Dawn. The game is avaiable for $5.99.

What's cool about it:

• A tough, but accessible to newer players, classic RPG with a vast world to explore!
  • Features a "learn by doing" skill system without the need to collect and grind for experience points.
  • Customize your character as you see fit as there are plenty of character stats to fine-tune to your liking.
Overview:

The world of Tempest is in need of a champion! You have been summoned to embark on a noble journey to save all of humanity from an evil fate. You must keep your wits about you, your sword must stay sharp and ready, and your spells charged as you forge through Tempest's massive landscape. Descend into the maws of many a dark and and dangerous dungeon in search of your quest's end.

You'll have at your disposal more than 25 spells and items of great power, each drawing upon one of the elemental forces such as earth, wind, fire, and lightning. Whether you prefer a more tactical approach or attack all-swords-swinging, Anvil of Dawn features a hybrid of real-time and turn-based combat to satisfy your needs. Remember, your choices and actions affect the ebb and flow of combat so think, and act, wisely. Are you prepared to pay the ultimate price, to steal away the gift of a dark god, and journey to the Anvil of Dawn.
More information.

I remember that I really enjoyed this when it first came out, probably about 16-17 years ago. I am not sure how well it would have aged, I remember the inventory system was kind of clunky.

From 1995.. isn't that the same year Stonekeep was released? This game looks like it aged a lot better.

It was released at the same time as Stonekeep.

It was published by New World Computer in US (makers of might&magic series)

Great dungeon crawler.

The first game where I played a female avatar.

I too played both this and Stonekeep around the same time but that was way to long ago for me to remember which game I played first. But I do remember liking AoD more than Stonekeep.

A good one, I recommend trying it out. It is really playable by today's standards (despite its old age), provides a fair challenge, lots of environmental puzzles and it has the BEST EVAR automap.
Two things that are wrong, however: the story is as uninspired as it gets, and the graphics are a strange mix of early 3DStudio renders (i.e. crap) and low-key pixelart (i.e. dull).

If you have enjoyed Grimrock recently, you might love this one.

This game has some of the most original enemies I have seen in any RPG. There are many types of them and are well designed. Unfortunately the combat is repetitive and not as challenging as in Eye of the Beholder series or Dungeon Master for example.

Loved this game when it came out. Spell system was real cool. There was one puzzle at the end I could not figure out where you had to place rocks on a clock or sundial. Never got to the very end sigh.

Good game and I have fond memories of it. It's one of the VERY few classic dungeon crawlers I didn't actually get very far in.

One issue I remember was that enemies only have "1 angle" - meaning they don't ever show their sides (not sure about their backs, actually) - and I had a problem getting past that back in the day.

Pity….

I think I remember this one . . . I have a vague recollection of being quite pleased to find the bodies of the adventurers I didn't pick as my player character scattered about the game world.

Played it once and still got the original. When I played it the game bugged out and it gave me unlimited magic. Was very happy with that. Will buy it when it's cheaper.

Hopefully GOG's next NWC release is Hammer of the Gods. Cracking game.

Top game - played it non stop when it came out.

Back
Top Bottom