RPGWatch Feature: Legend - Hand of God Developer Diary #4

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The latest Legend - Hand of God Dev Diary reveals one of the game´s most innovative features: A mix of party member and mouse cursor named The Bright Elf.
By pure coincidence I saw the 3D Mark 2005 graphics benchmark; one of the scenes was about a dot of light zipping through a nightly forest. Magnificent! It was the best tech demo I have seen so far. I just thought: Hey, what if this was our light source? What if the player was in control of it? You could define your own light and shadow; you could have the dot scout ahead of the hero to illuminate dark corners! This would also serve to accentuate the shadow system, one of the greatest accomplishments of our Master Engine. And thus, the Bright Elf was born.
Link to article
More information.

Continuing our slightly chaotic posting schedule we break the original order and post the latest diary entry. The RPC 2007 in Münster (Germany) is this weekend, so the article would have been outdated if we had delayed it.

dtp / Anaconda sent out a PR today reminding the press that Legend will be playable to the public, new Drakensang infos will become available and that the visitors will have the chance to win phat lewt, including a 140 cm Drakensang-style deco-sword.

Colour me skeptical of this fairy idea. I guess part of my issue is that I'm an old grouch and like my RPGs dark and weighty...I'll be interested to see how the press reacts.

I think they have found good way to tie cursor lighting to ingame. Actually I'd hope to see more of this in games instead of moron indicators like bouncing exclamation marks over npc heads, those really break the suspension of disbelief and ingame feel if there were any to begin with that is.

It can become a burden if the pixie's personality is really cheesy or plain annoying, but the same could be said from any npc that is forced to group with the pc character.

Back
Top Bottom