Avernum - Encumberance?

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
I am currently loving Avernum. Most fun I had in a RPG since... uhm. NWN2.

Thing is, I do not see anything indicating that there's an encumberance system in this game, except that it's more difficult to hit with weapons if you have heavy armor.

There are knives in the game. I have found at least one really great one. But are there any reason my Rogue should not have a longsword and the heaviest shield/armor I can find? My Rogue have lots of Assassination and I have reached the level where it starts to pay off.
Both my Cleric and Sorcerer have Natural Mage that is supposed to allow heavy armor, so I have them wrapped up in the heaviest armor I can find. Are there any reason why I should not?

There is an encumbrance system in this great series (BTW, I've just finished Avernum 2 :)). If you give heavy armor to you rogue, you'll soon begin to see "item is too heavy" messages. It's directly connected to the character's Strength iirc.

Unfortunately, there's an annoying bug present in at least the first two Avernum games. Suppose you've hit the limit of items per char (20) but you're carrying items which should stack (e.g. energetic herbs). But, when you find more herbs, you won't be able to pick them up unless you throw an item away for a second (and then of course pick it up again). It's quite annoying later in the game, but the series is wonderful anyway!

But all I have to do to circumvent this is to beef up the Rogue's strength right?

At the moment my rogue and my fighter are very similar. Only difference is that my fighter have more Melee/Defense/Hardness while my Rogue have the thief skills instead.

Yes, I think so.
My party is usually a Fighter, Fighter/Rogue, Cleric and a Mage (roguhly speaking of course since it's a classless system). After a few levels the difference in fights between the fighter and fighter/rogue are minimal.

I agree, though I personally prefer to have a human pure-type fighter, a nefelin archer/figher/thief for the ranged and thiefing bonuses the nefelin has, a human sorceress and a slith priest - while the last has the offset of gaining levels more slowly it has some fighting abilities on its own for just being a slith.

Back
Top Bottom