The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

NOOOOOOOO! Not Daler again.

Still in my Tarja mood--found this one on YouTube:

Die Alive

Also enjoying my Nightwish CD --it has this on it, and a lot of other cool songs--thanks, Jaz for the left-handed introduction. :)

Have to admit I also still like this slightly different Over the Hills and Far Away...

Led Zep and some peacenik stuff, eh? Well, I think that calls for a little lightening of the mood. Gotta love Les' bass work.
"Winona's Big Brown Beaver" by Primus

Which kinda demands an answer from these guys:
"Brave Captain" by fIREHOSE

Last edited:
Trespassers William finally put up a tune that's been on Vertigo for a while. Great stuff. Pretty, but a little sludgy at the same time.
"I Don't Mind"

Well, I think that calls for a little lightening of the mood.

Or something. :p

I was expecting some dreamy, ethereal shoe-gazing stuff--quite a shock to see plastic cowboys from you, dte--but you did definitely change the mood. :)

Well, perhaps I should have gone with a Woodstock moment? :D
"My Name is Mud"

So I kissed him upside the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat...my name is Mud...

I just discovered a good band doing a little something different with ska.

Ska Cubano

Wait a couple of secs for the music to load. The YouTube stuff was pretty miserable sound wise so I linked to their MySpace page.

Oh Sammy...get help, man. Get help now.

Just to show I'm not a one trick pony, how about a little dinosaur rock? Don't really like these guys, but this song has always been a favorite.
It will just have to be a surprise

I may be old, but at least my mummy wrapping hasn't come unravelled yet. :)
Good tune though.

BTW, Re: priceless pearls of wisdom from the legends of rock--check this moving and insightful message to the troubled stars of today.

I'm sure this will help Winehouse turn her life around. ;)

I do like the Stones music, btw--it's just quite ironic to hear this stuff from them when Richards is still writing songs about heroin (i.e., "Flip the Switch", etc)

At least they can still write songs, though, which in itself is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
The Catchers have added a song to their profile. While the beginning sounds a little like a showtune, at around the 3:00 mark, the song takes flight. The audio compression kills some of the fullness of it which is a real shame, but you can still get the general idea.
"Spellbound" by The Catchers

Alright, if Sammy's going that direction, it's my turn....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj_K85_SI2M

..A little David Lee Roth... without the rest of the band.
I don't care who you are, that's friggin' halarious!

New discovery for me last night. These ladies would have been very comfortable in the 80s. This tune has a fair bit of twee mixed in. They probably would have fit into the Sarah label reasonably well.
"Dark Halls" by Au Revoir Simone
(a miniplayer is in the upper right of the screen, fast forward 5 or 6 songs to get to this selection)

Pyramaze - What lies beyond

You can listen to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYriF89HPxQ

Cheesy? Absolutely.
Good? Very.

Wow, at first I thought that was the lead singer from Queensryche - very similar.

@dte: I liked some of that Au Revoir Simone. Maybe not enough to buy it, but I'll probably give the songs another run just to make sure, thanks for the link.

Sounded like a Queensryche cover band to me at first. :D

I finally put my finger on that sound in the instrumental section of "Dark Halls"--Speak & Spell / Broken Frame era Depeche Mode. Glad you enjoyed it, Jabber. Not really trance stuff like we were discussing earlier, but fairly good. I'm on the fence on purchasing, too. (edit- purchase made, along with Elika's debut (reprinted!!!) and an EP from the band below)

Another new discovery for y'all today. Got these folks off the shoegaze board I visit. I hear a fair bit of Slowdive and Ride, although they have a pretty wide range of style. Fortunately for me, they took the good parts of Ride, since I'm not really a fan of that band. I think "Waiting for the End" is probably my favorite track of the site, but I'll put up a different one for a little different take on my usual formula.
"Mind the Wires" by Tears Runs Rings

Last edited:
Proof that there's more to Sweden than ABBA.

Caramelldansen

It's hard to listen to this and stay grumpy.

Sorry, I know I've put this duo up a few times now, but it IS a "currently listening" thread doncha know.
"Pale Sister" by Titania

Well, just got Sarah Brightman's new Symphony album, and I gotta say I am a little disappointed. When she was quoted a while back as saying "it has a Gothic Metal feel to it" she must have only been talking about the album art, because with the exception of the intro track, there's not a single sliver of gothic influence in the music whatsoever.

The album art is incredible though - best I've ever seen I think. Here's a linkie: http://www.sarah-brightman.com/sound_vision.html

...It's bizarre how different the packaging is compared to the music. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom