Gaming-Enthusiast - The Force Is Strong With EA

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well with the news that EA has exclusive rights to all StarWars games, we have a new editioral article from Gaming-Enthusiast defending EA.
After EA acquired the rights for the Star Wars franchise last night I’ve seen a lot of negative feedback from ‘non-EA’ supporters who don’t realise the studios that EA actually own. I can be somewhat cynical when it comes to EA, but I can’t help to be excited by them taking the rights from Disney to produce Star Wars titles for core gamers in the future.

It seems that gamers have seen the dreaded EA label, and forgot about the studios that EA own. The likes of Bioware, DICE, Criterion, and Visceral Games. As a massive fan of Star Wars, and a gamer, I can’t help but get excited for the possibilities to come from the Star Wars gaming rights being in EA’s hands.

I was surprised to find that not many people knew that The Knights of the Old Republic series is already being made under EA, by Mass Effect developers Bioware since 2003. Surely Battlefront being in the hands of DICE and being developed on their Frostbite engine, can only prove to be a positive thing, right?

There are possibilities for EA to take the Star Wars gaming franchise forward, Need for Speed developer Criterion taking the handles of a pod racing title, maybe even another Rogue Squadron game developed with Most Wanted’s Chameleon engine? Dante’s Inferno developer, Visceral Games to unleash the force in the form of a Jedi hacks and slash title. – These are just a few ideas I’ve thrown together, no doubt EA have already started planning their strategy with they’re studios.

EA have a bit reputation with gamers, they can’t afford to make the same mistakes with unfinished (seemingly untested) Star Wars titles being released. Star Wars is a very sensitive subject, and EA could suffer if they don’t get things just right.

As you can see I’m excited by EA taking the reins since Disney closed down Lucas Arts – who haven’t exactly produced the greatest of Star Wars titles in recent the years, in my eyes. Hell! Look at that god awful Kinect game. Hopefully, EA will bring a fresh new approach to some titles, while revitalising some previous titles that have falling off the track, as well as bringing back some titles – like Rogue Squadron – back to the fans.

I’ve thought of other developers that could possibly take over, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. In my opinion EA are the perfect choice with the developers they have in their portfolio. So I ask you, with their assets, are EA really that bad for our beloved Star Wars?
More information.

Last edited:
Ah they fixed the typos. My OCD is sated.

Last edited:
I will admit, I've already been thinking a bit about what DICE could do with Battlefront. Otherwise, I'm more frustrated than excited. It's not so much EA taking it over as much as the incredible lost opportunity this is. LucasArts was so fantastic, and now.. EA is taking over? The true LA has been long dead, but it's still a sad one-two punch. Once you grasp with the reality of it all, it's merely shrug-worthy.

Ok someone define this term "core" gamer to me. It's making me all kinds of queasy when I read (2x now) that a game is being made for "core" gamers.

Star Wars: The Micro-transactions Strike Back.

I'm going to wait for the reviews on these...

"I’ve thought of other developers that could possibly take over, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. In my opinion EA are the perfect choice"

So basically what he is saying is the three worst companies in the world for screwing over their customers with DRM, DLC and Micro transactions are the only ones who should be in the running to work with Disney on the Star Wars IP?

I guess that does kind of make sense, Since Disney would screw over their grandmothers to make a buck.

Ok someone define this term "core" gamer to me. It's making me all kinds of queasy when I read (2x now) that a game is being made for "core" gamers.

"core" gamers can mean both mid-core gamers (between the hardcore and the casual gamers) and hardcore gamers, although I think here it mean mid-core. They buy more games than casual, prefer more complex gameplay, but don't live for gaming. They just fit them into their schedule. It's a bit of a redefinition of mainstream, but without the casuals.

Everyone that visit the watch would fall into the core RPG gamers group.

"I’ve thought of other developers that could possibly take over, Ubisoft, Activision, etc. In my opinion EA are the perfect choice"

So basically what he is saying is the three worst companies in the world for screwing over their customers with DRM, DLC and Micro transactions are the only ones who should be in the running to work with Disney on the Star Wars IP?

I guess that does kind of make sense, Since Disney would screw over their grandmothers to make a buck.

No, I think what he's implying is that those are the only companies that have the sort of money necessary to strike a multi-year deal with Disney for the rights to publish Star Wars games. If the Star Wars license was going to be taken over by someone, it was pretty obvious that it would be one of those three, not a smaller more independent publisher with far less revenue to throw around.

Back
Top Bottom