RPGWatch - 2009 Game of the Year Voting

I played Risen, Armored princess, Geneforge 5, and Torchlight. Armored Princess was undoubtedly the best of those, but I have this gut instinct that DA:O was the best RPG of the year, despite not having played it. I don't know whether to go with my trust of hype or personal experience on this one.

If I had 2 choices it would have been a tie between Risen and Divine Divinity 2 but since I didn't have 2 choices I chose Risen. I needed several choices for most anticipated since I had a several way tie so I ended up choosing Fallout: New Vegas.

PS. You didn't have my most anticipated game on the list which is Precursors.

I wouldn't analyse it too deeply - these things are always a bit of fun, more so than serious measure of RPG-ness. If you loved KB: AP, go with it.

Anyway, DA:O for me but I struggled with most anticipated. I really want to play Age of Decadence, I have high hopes for Alpha Protocol and I can't cant to find out about New Vegas.

If I had 2 choices it would have been a tie between Risen and Divine Divinity 2 but since I didn't have 2 choices I chose Risen. I needed several choices for most anticipated since I had a several way tie so I ended up choosing Fallout: New Vegas.

PS. You didn't have my most anticipated game on the list which is Precursors.

You can type in your own choice. We didn't want to make the list ridiculously long and Precursors doesn't have any English release date we know of but you're welcome to choose it "manually".

Well, between Drakensang, Geneforge 5, and Dragon Age: Origins, I picked DA:O. It really grabbed me with the companions. But for gameplay, I'd have to pick GF 5. I'm a sucker for turned-based tactical combat. :)

Well, only played Risen and Dragon Age, and it was a tough decision between those 2, but I ended up picking Dragon age.

Most anticipated was a battle between Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3 New Vegas and Mass Effect 2. But picked Mass Effect 2, since I enjoyed the first one so much.

For me Dragon Age was the winner by far although there were some other good ones Risen, Drakensang, and NWN2 MoW (Borderlands was also decent). Most anticipated for me is Mass Effect 2 followed closely by Alpha Protocol.

Sorry I didn't see the place where you can type in your own choice.

PS. I'm not sure if The Precursors is going to be released in English but there will be a fan translation which is currently in development in the official The Precursors forums.

DA:O was the game for me. It has its flaws, for sure. I even wrote in a thread in Bioware forums about things that should have been different and the list was pretty long. But this is Bioware. They always change things for the better in sequels, like they did with ME 2, which looks like every bad aspect was improved. I'm positive that DA 2 will be great.

As for upcoming RPG's my choice couldn't be other than Drakensang: River of time. The first one was really good and i'm sure the second will be better.

You can type in your own choice.

Ah, damn.. I thought that field was a shortcut to posting a comment. Guess my "most anticipated" entry doesn't make a whole lot of sense then :)

Anyway - GOTY must be DAO for me, even though I love the Piranhas and found Risen to be a *great* game.

2009 really was a good year for RPGs. Other great games that I played was Geneforge 5, Drakensang - and to a certain degree Divinity 2, which I'm still not done with yet. A bit of a rough game that one, both in terms of technical execution and enjoyment. For some reason I'm not really enjoying the KB games nearly as much as many of you guys (and girls), but oh well...

Most anticipated: I was tempted to vote for "New Vegas", but I don't really know anything about that game yet. After having played the german demo I believe the RPG I'm currently looking forward to the most is "Venetica".

There are also some very interesting indie games comming out that I'm surely going to play - Eschalon 2 and Avernum 6.

As a final comment, even though I understand that many people here are following AoD closely it does seems a bit of a stretch (IMO) to add it to "most anticipated in 2010" list... because honestly it seems very unlikely to me that it will actually be released in 2010 :) But if it does, all the better!

You posted four times in the comments thread of the "Russian release on Dec 4th" newsbit.

Eh? That must have been some time ago, I don't recall talking about Precursors anytime recently. That, or it's just my alzheimer's acting up again. :)

*Edit* Just checked, that was last November. Next time I'll make sure to obtain your permission before asking a question. ;)

Tough call between DA and Risen. Ended up voting for Risen, because it offers an experience that is very original (only previous PB titles have a similar approach).

As for the most anticipated game of 2010: ME2, followed by Alpha Protocol. Both offer settings and stories that I've rarely (if ever) seen elsewhere (in RPGs).

Eh? That must have been some time ago, I don't recall talking about Precursors anytime recently. That, or it's just my alzheimer's acting up again. :)

*Edit* Just checked, that was last November. Next time I'll make sure to obtain your permission before asking a question. ;)

It wasn't meant to be snarky or anything. I only checked because I was sure we'd covered it.

It wasn't easy having to choose between Drakensang or Dragon Age, but eventually the latter won. Drakensang needed some warm up time, while Dragon Age pulled you completely in right from the start. That, and it was a bit too easy.

Yet I really, really loved Drakensang though :S

I'd also vote for KB-AP to be concidered as a 2010 game. Due to the constant reminders of GothicGothicness, magerette and JDR13 about how good KB & KB-AP are, I actually went and bought them. But I haven't had enough time yet to play them! So if they're really that good, I wouldn't want to be the one commiting high treason by not putting them as nr.1. So give me a year !

I'll even finish The Witcher if you put KB-AP on the 2010 list, I promise :p

Last edited:
As I am still busy playing older games, but since Dhruin said "this is the internet" I voted based on the demos I played, with Drakensang coming out winner ;)

Age of Decandence got my vote for most anticipated, just because I became so involved in its creation process and because its a project I want to see succeed. Hopefully in 2010 ;) Other interesting games on that list though!

Back
Top Bottom