The Witcher 2 - Enhanced Edition Released

I haven't tried playing it myself. Just trying to get an accurate read on it.

In that case I don't think you have anything to worry about. As a general rule, I tend to wait until a patch is released and started playing with v1.2 and I never had any issues with the controls. Most people seem to state that these control issues were taken care of by the patches.

I haven't tried playing it myself. Just trying to get an accurate read on it.

I'd suggest playing it at a friend's house first maybe if you're really hesitant about it. It is different than most WRPGs in that it seems to derive its idea of player agency from "choose your own adventure" novels rather than from PnP RPGs of yore. That's good and bad; as it is a more realistic target in terms of agency in a video game and degree of choice, it means the consequences of your choices are often far more dramatic and significant but it also means that you have to remember you are playing one of a many but finite number of possible Geralts rather than whoever you might imagine him to be.

The quality of the action combat, for me at least, was secondary to the interactive story elements of the game. I played all the way through the game before any significant patches and, on the balance, found it very worthwhile. At the same time I haven't found myself so close to breaking something in a fit of frustration since I was 7 as I had when I played this game. That wasn't because of the combat mechanics - borked as they were at launch - but because sometimes foreshadowing and seemingly obvious better choices are far more obvious to you than they are to Geralt. As badass as he clearly is, he can be a little bit thick sometimes.

Frustration aside, I still enjoyed the game far more than it frustrated me and ultimately considered it a worthwhile investment of my time and money (though maybe waiting till the re-launch and perhaps a sale would have been wiser). With the patches, additional content to the story and ending, and other improvements I would say it is far more worthwhile now than it was then.

By launching the game, the auto patcher downloaded the EE patch and everything went smoothly. As a check, I started a new game without problems so I concluded that the installation was done correctly.

Yep, the only thing that finally worked for me was finally uninstalling the game reinstalling and letting the downloader (the game automatically got) to do the job, or at least download the first 10 binaries or so. The rest I copied over from my repeatedly failed attempt to do it with the downloader link or the manual links they have provided (kept telling me the files were corrupted which I sincerely doubt).

I love these guys, but they can't code a trouble-free patcher/updater to save their lives. :)

(And it is kinda funny having so much trouble on a routine task while they have brought this huge in scope and complexity and relatively trouble free CRPG to this level of polish)

Just re-installed with no problem but I was installing everything from scratch and the auto downloader launched and took care of the rest.

Got my gog copy too. Nice touch, now I can put away my collectors edition safely in it's box.

Only played for about 30 min in the arena to test combat and didn't have any unresponsiveness.

I was sad to see that you still can't remap keys like inventory or journal and still had to remap the keys that you could change from outside the game.

Fortunately I have a Merc Stealth keyboard so I can just remap them with the keyboard software but it still would have been nice to have the option in game.

Yep, the only thing that finally worked for me was finally uninstalling the game reinstalling and letting the downloader (the game automatically got) to do the job, or at least download the first 10 binaries or so. The rest I copied over from my repeatedly failed attempt to do it with the downloader link or the manual links they have provided (kept telling me the files were corrupted which I sincerely doubt).

I love these guys, but they can't code a trouble-free patcher/updater to save their lives. :)

(And it is kinda funny having so much trouble on a routine task while they have brought this huge in scope and complexity and relatively trouble free CRPG to this level of polish)

Yes, I read about people having trouble with corrupted files during the patching procedure of an already installed game. I didn't upgrade to the new version immediately upon release so I can only assume that they must have solved the corrupted file issue in the mean time as everything went well in my case.

I was planning on doing a replay in the living room - but it's not comfortable with keyboard/mouse there. The original gamepad controls are quite horrible, to me, and I'm really puzzled as to why they don't just use the new 360 controls.

ARGH!

Yeah, but there's something going on with the responsiveness - and the way you interact with the inventory. The issue isn't so much what buttons do what - but the way of interacting when picking stuff up and manipulating it in the inventory - which is really weird to me.

Several reviews mention how the gamepad controls are much, much better in the console version - and I just assumed they would carry that back over in the EE.

I hope they fix that :( otherwise i might just as well buy the 360 version too, which also has an improved lightning shader.
The lightning differences could be explained by a lack of post-processing filters and reduced/disabled bloom. It's really not all that much it is made too be.

The 360 version is also supposed to have some improved models, seems a bit strange that they didnt put these into the PC EE version.

They didn't ?! what are those 11GB I downloaded then ?!
(matters of taste aside)

http://opa-ages.com/forums/topic/61299-360-version-of-witcher-2-graphics-pc-version/

I think i like the 360 version a little bit better, at least in those shots.. i'm sure the PC version has better looking textures, but i couldnt care less when playing on a TV from my bed or sofa. The 360 version is also supposed to have some improved models, seems a bit strange that they didnt put these into the PC EE version.

If i'm reading this correctly those pc screens are from the regular pc version not the EE version :

"In putting together this article, we were chasing CD Projekt RED for a PC version of the Enhanced Edition (Namco having already provided the Xbox 360 version) to produce a closer, more exact like-for-like comparison. We're actually rather happy the developer couldn't get the revised version to us to meet the deadline for this article - it's given us a greater appreciation of the work the firm has done in taking an already great game and making it even better. It's all the more remarkable in that the Xbox 360 version took just 11 months of work to complete, albeit employing the talents of around 100 staff members."

and this:

"It's a move that will not only generate immense levels of goodwill from its existing customers but will doubtless encourage more people to buy the full game - and based on how good the 360 release looks, the PC Enhanced Edition should be something truly special."

http://opa-ages.com/forums/topic/61299-360-version-of-witcher-2-graphics-pc-version/

I think i like the 360 version a little bit better, at least in those shots.. i'm sure the PC version has better looking textures, but i couldnt care less when playing on a TV from my bed or sofa. The 360 version is also supposed to have some improved models, seems a bit strange that they didnt put these into the PC EE version.
Heh, those 2 are the exact screens that caught my attention in Eurogamer's comparison. The bloom may be overused in some parts of the game, those glowing faces in the siege tower stood out every time I played the Prologue, but it does manage to provide a more magical/fantasy atmosphere rather than realistic gfx.

Hmm yeah, it was my understanding that most of the corrections and improvements would carry back to the PC version. 11 GB's of mesh and some texture fixes (ofcourse I haven't checked to see how much the movies are, audio is 900 mb) seemed odd...

Anyways, I do appreciate more realistic lighting sometimes rather than the warmer "fantasy" look that the lighting on the PC has. It would be nice to have the Option to test and choose the one we like (iirc the xbox has some lower precision hdr modes though, int10 fp16 etc?. It probably takes some work to rewrite back to PC to reproduce the effect instead of just copying resources I guess)

I'll still take the PC version over the Xbox version any day. A few new lighting effects don't change the fact that it's only being rendered at 720p. I think I'll keep my 1920x1200. :)

I'll still take the PC version over the Xbox version any day. A few new lighting effects don't change the fact that it's only being rendered at 720p. I think I'll keep my 1920x1200. :)

Don't care as much about graphics as i care for good controlls though, so i'd take the 360 version any day if it indeed has much better controlls. I've gotten so used to playing third person games with a gamepad, especially now after playing Dark Souls a lot..

Back
Top Bottom