PCGamer - How I Game: Brian Fargo

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamer has a small interview with Brain Fargo as part of it's "How I Game "series of interviews with developers.

What’s on your desk?

I keep my desk pretty clean which means it has a simple configuration of my monitor, keyboard and mouse along with any pesky bills I have to pay.

What are you playing right now?

I tend to bounce around a couple of games at one time and currently I’m about halfway through Metro: Last Light which has done a fantastic job setting a mood. And then when I want my brain to hurt I jump back to an Indie puzzler game called Swapper.

Why do you game?

How can anyone not game? The absolute most fun entertainment experiences of my life have been when I was wrapped up into a great game. It’s intellectually challenging and highly entertaining and I enjoy it from an admiration level of how the game was put together technically or design wise.
More information.

Yea, shooters (Diablo included) are really intelectually challenging, right.

Well, compared to watching TV or something similarly brain dead any video game is intellectually challenging.

Not to mention people seem to be dumber and dumber all the time so who knows, there could be people who find Diablo intellectually challenging. Every time I see public chat in MMOs I'm quite sure that a lot of people aren't that bright.

Anyways.

It's nice that Fargo does so many interviews with entities nobody has ever heard of. But how about more details/footage/anything about Wasteland 2?!

I suppose they're only bothering to update backers, which is somewhat understandable but it's no way to build buzz for the game.

The same could be said for numerous KS games in development right now (near complete lack of info/updates/footage/anything nontrivial).

Well, compared to watching TV or something similarly brain dead any video game is intellectually challenging.
What stuff do you watch on TV then? Soap operas?

We have movies and series section on the forum, check it up. Maybe you'll find out that there are movies (recently added was The Machinist) and series more intellectually challenging than all 3 Diablo sequels packed together.

And honestly I adore Fargo's low amount of "updates", my poor mailbox is overspammed by those "updates" from different KS projects.

Haven't played last light, but Metro 2033 had great atmosphere and was told in a pretty stimulating manner.

If only joxer knew what he was talking about once in a while :)

A vista machine with a steam punk look. That sounds right. :p

Well, joxer, if you want to play video games that are intellectually challenging, try the Mysterious Journey series and the Rhem series of PC games. If you are actually honest in your assessment of these games instead of sidestepping your inability to handle them by pointing out irrelevant issues such as the older graphics, I believe you will find them more than adequately challenging.

Well, joxer, if you want to play video games that are intellectually challenging, try the Mysterious Journey series and the Rhem series of PC games. If you are actually honest in your assessment of these games instead of sidestepping your inability to handle them by pointing out irrelevant issues such as the older graphics, I believe you will find them more than adequately challenging.

I recommend MM6 or MM7 if never played. They are a lot of fun and require some thinking and planning. Graphics are old but the gameplay is awesome.

Guys, please don't start listing games we all know are good.

B.F. spoke generally, I've commented it. If he did state "challenging RPGs" or "challenging adventures", I wouldn't shoot a sting. But no, he spoke about games in general. Who knows, maybe there really are intellectually challenging FPS. Or intellectually challenging Diablo clones? Haven't find one myself, sorry. Those still might be fun, but intellectually challenging? Not a chance.

The answer on his question - how can anyone not game - is simple. Too many games suck, are boring, annoying, unpolished, not fun and buggy. Players who are not masochistic can and will not game when you serve them something that doesn't deserve to be called - a game.

You really do love your strawman.

Maybe he meant for the intellectually challenged? That would make more sense... (I for one, actually agree with everything Joxer has said...in this thread.;))

Back
Top Bottom