What RPG released since 2013 that I shouldn't have skip?

Sanglon

Watchdog
I was wondering how identify RPG released since 2013 I shouldn't have skip.

I used "best of" lists, I also used few steam curators/gog lists, and I tried use more extensive lists, I know 4, gamespot, rpgwatch, rpgfrance, steam.

I ended with a very short list among those I haven't played or tried: The Age of Decadence, Balrum, Dead State: Reanimated, Celestian Tales: Old North, Consortium, Demonicon, Dex, Grim Dawn, Mars: War Logs, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Styx: Master of Shadows, Underrail.

I kept track of a second list, rejected but that worth more investigation: Agarest: Generations of War, Bound by flame, Child of Light, Cosmic Star Heroine, Cypress Inheritance: The Beginning, Dragon Fin Soup, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Far Cry 4, Heroes of a Broken Land, South Park: Stick of Truth, Templar Battleforce, Thea: The Awakening, Ultimate Space Commando, Watch Dogs.

So can you share your suggestions?

It's not a list of RPG I enjoyed, it's also RPG I didn't enjoyed much or even didn't played much but I felt it was worthy to have check them:

Almost all better known series: Age of Wonders, Avadon, Avernum, Baldur's Gate, The Banner Saga, Batman, The Binding of Isaac, BioShock, Blackguards, Borderlands, Crusader Kings, Dark Soul, Deus Ex, Diablo, Divinity, Dragon Age, Elder Scroll, Endless, Eschalon Book, Fallen Enchantress, Icewind Dale, King's Bounty, Legend of Grimrock, Mass Effect, Might&Magic, Mount & Blade, Pillars of Eternity, Realms of Arkania, Risen, Shadowrun, Space Hulk, System Shock, Thief, Torchlight, Warlock, Wasteland, The Witcher, XCOM.

Plus: Age of Fear 1&2, Antharion, Bionic Dues, Chroma Squad, Darkest Dungeon, Delver, The Depths of Tolagal, Dishonored, Eldritch, Enemy, Expeditions: Conquistador, The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, Fallen: A2P Protocol, Halfway, Hand of Fate, Hard West, Heroes of a Broken Land, Heroes of Steal, Icy, Inquisitor, Invisible, inc., Jagged Alliance Flashback, King of Dragon Pass, Lords of Xulima, Massive Chalice, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Son of Nor, Neo Scavenger, Paper Sorcerer, Path of Exile, Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic, The Quest, Raven's Cry, Renowned Explorers: International Society, Serpent in the Staglands, Sorcery! Parts 1&2, Spirits of Xanadu, Steam Marines, Strife, Sunless Sea, Sword Coast Legends, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Telepath Tactics, Transistor, Undertale, UnReal World, Victor Vran, This War of Mine, Warhammer Quest, Warmachine: Tactics, Xenonauts, Ziggurat.

Those lists exclude some specific genre/subgenre/mechanism as MMO, MP only, Platformer, RTS without an active pause system and a small team, Early Access/Game in Development (but my list include a few exceptions).

Welcome to RPGWatch.

Bound by Flame and Demonicon are in different bundles at BundleStars at the moment. BundleStars is a daughter company of the publisher Focus Interactive.

I kept track of a second list, rejected but that worth more investigation: Agarest: Generations of War, Bound by flame, Child of Light, Cosmic Star Heroine, Cypress Inheritance: The Beginning, Dragon Fin Soup, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Far Cry 4, Heroes of a Broken Land, South Park: Stick of Truth, Templar Battleforce, Thea: The Awakening, Ultimate Space Commando, Watch Dogs.

So can you share your suggestions?

Dragon's Dogma - skip if you hate grinding, if you love grinders buy immediately.
FarCry4 - skip and buy FarCry3 instead.
SouthPark - buy now!
Watch Dogs - buy only if you find it for $5 or less, make sure you install the mod which unlocks visual spectacle on PC, the game gets boring fast but visuals Ubi locked so the unmodded game on PC looks like it's on Playstation1 are worth a few bucks

Can't say anything for those others.

If you liked the old Might and Magic games I thought Lords of Xulima was fantastic. I have played thru Wasteland 2 twice. I play mostly turn based games and those 2 have been my favorite of recently released games.

From your list I can recommend Underrail and Grim Dawn without a second thought.

Mars, Demonicon, and Bound by Flame, Dead State, Child of Light, and HOBL are all games I enjoyed, but none of them are a must play, in my opinion. They are decent games if you don't have anything better to play.

As far as Age of Decadence goes, its a very unusual game. Its very hard, and has sort of a choose your own adventure feel. Its also ugly and has a bad camera. That said, it does a lot of things other games don't. I'd recommend playing it, though you may hate it.

I liked and have replayed several times, Risen 3 Titan Lords (August 12, 2014).

__

I can only second Lords of Xulima. There were no other must plays in the RPG sector since 2013 IMO, although Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Underrail and Age of Decadence are good games.

If I can only pick one game then its Dark Souls 3 as it s the best game I played in the last 5/10 years.

Xulima, Grim Dawn, Underrail, Balrum, and The Quest would be my picks, though I added the last one. The Quest is a single-player, single-character game that plays like Might and Magic 3-5.

I'll add my voice to Lords of Xulima, if you haven't played it. Wasteland 2 and Pillars are probably my two favorites from the last years, along with Might and Magic X, Underrail, Lords of Xulima, Shadow Run:Hong Kong, Legends of Eisenwald, Divinity:Original Sin, and Expeditions:Conquistidor.

Pillars of Eternity with White March part one and two.
D:OS
Thea: The Awakening (if you want to play an addictive lil indy game.)
The Witcher 3

You don't say which ones you've played -- I'm not sure if your list omitted standouts like Divinity:OS and Pillars of Eternity because you don't know them or because you already have them. If you haven't yet played those, do.

Wasteland 2 is also great, especially after the big post-release revision.

To me, Xulima lacked something. It was just a little bit plain and I didn't finish. I had a lot more fun with Might and Magic X, which I liked enough to seek out the old-school entries in the series for the first time.

You don't say which ones you've played.
Yeah that was deliberate, in spoiler tag I only put a list of RPG series and RPG I consider classified, played them or tried them or rejected them, but consider they worth all a check.
-- I'm not sure if your list omitted standouts like Divinity:OS and Pillars of Eternity because you don't know them or because you already have them. If you haven't yet played those, do.

Wasteland 2 is also great, especially after the big post-release revision.

To me, Xulima lacked something. It was just a little bit plain and I didn't finish. I had a lot more fun with Might and Magic X, which I liked enough to seek out the old-school entries in the series for the first time.
All those are in my list in the spoiler tag.

Too many filling with combats that's in my opinion the problem of Xulima, the first parts are also rather weak but it gets better after. I didn't finished it but it's too huge, that's a good future replay. I had quite more fun with MMX but for me MMX is less coherent overall. I played MMX 3 time including with the DLC but I didn't finished the 3rd play. For me both worth the check. I had also more fun with Loren the Amazon Princess with DLC than with Xulima, played it 2 times. The strength of MMX combats over those of Xulima and Loren is the multi front combats, that changes a lot, it's just more fun.

DOS, WL2, PoE, are also in my spoiler tag, and are for me clear "worth the try". For me WL2 DC version is the more overall coherent of the 3. DOS is the more original and eventually my fav anyway but I felt there was wrong changes in EE version. PoE is for me slightly over hyped particularly for the writing aspect, DLC shows something quite better on that aspect. A second point are the combats system, plenty good ideas but for me it's not working fully well, moreover too many combats didn't get a tuned design. For me PoE is still an obvious "worth the try".

Dragon's Dogma - skip if you hate grinding, if you love grinders buy immediately.
FarCry4 - skip and buy FarCry3 instead.
I quote for Dogma, I totally dislike grinding.

Yeah FC3 is fun (FC1 too, FC2 worth a try). I still don't know for FC4, for me a second FC3 is a good idea at reverse FCP is a definitive no go for me, I know combats will bore me.
SouthPark - buy now!
Even if I'm not fan of the cartoon? I watch some with pleasure, past that it gets me tired and I'm tedious to find that back in a game. Moreover I can't bare CRPG that use auto irony. Let say there's no SP elements in it, it still worth it?

I can only second Lords of Xulima. There were no other must plays in the RPG sector since 2013 IMO.
Don't you feel a bit extreme? Anyway my question wasn't "must play" but "worth try". :)

I liked and have replayed several times, Risen 3 Titan Lords (August 12, 2014).
It is in my lists in the spoiler tag, but it was a hidden reject. I was quite fan of Gothic 1&2, even more the 2 with its DLC. But I failed get into Risen and Risen 2&3 don't look better.

Don't you feel a bit extreme? Anyway my question wasn't "must play" but "worth try". :)

Nah. I had high hopes for the first slew of crowdfunded games, but they all turned out to be good, but not excellent. If I had never played PoE or D:OS I wouldn't have missed much. I have higher hopes for the next generation of kickstarters, Dungeons of Aledorn, Bard's Tale IV, Torment, D:OS 2.

The Quest is a single-player, single-character game that plays like Might and Magic 3-5.
Already in my lists in the spoiler tag, but it was a hidden reject. I played it a bit with an ipad many years ago and didn't enjoyed much. Roughly at same time I played Undercroft and had quite more fun with it. I didn't finished both but was probably quite close to end with Undercroft. I didn't played The Quest enough to be sure I gave it a fair chance.

Nah. I had high hopes for the first slew of crowdfunded games, but they all turned out to be good, but not excellent. If I had never played PoE or D:OS I wouldn't have missed much. I have higher hopes for the next generation of kickstarters, Dungeons of Aledorn, Bard's Tale IV, Torment, D:OS 2.
If I keep only one CRPG released in 2013-2016 it's Dragonfall. For me KS was a bless, a lot of enjoyment, and finally not clones of clones (thinking of AAA single character CRPG).

If I keep only one CRPG released in 2013-2016 it's Dragonfall. For me KS was a bless, a lot of enjoyment, and finally not clones of clones (thinking of AAA single character CRPG).

Yeah, there were lots of party-based games in there, which was nice. But the mechanics weren't suited to building interesting characters IMO. So that was a wasted opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom