Fallout: New Vegas - News Roundup #2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Fallout: New Vegas items are coming thick and fast with only a few days left before release.
Podcast with Chris Avellone at Adrenaline Vault
Senior Producer Jason Bergman answers fan questions on the the Playstation Blog:
Will there be any Vaults to explore in New Vegas? (thanks @LewJ1196)
Yes there are! We have five different Vaults in the game. They serve as unique dungeons, and depending on what path you follow through the main storyline, you may have to venture into one of them to retrieve something.
Audio Director Scott Lawler writes for Gamasutra about The Music of the Mojave Wasteland:
Atmosphere is the key ingredient in the Fallout: New Vegas soundscape. From the long-decayed, echoing gunshots to the dense, layered ambiences, these are the sounds that pull the player further into the post-apocalyptic world of the Mojave Wasteland.

My goal for Fallout: New Vegas was to make sure the music fit in seamlessly with this soundscape and would help to subconsciously guide the player through their 100+ hour experience. In order to do this, the music had to match the atmosphere of the world to a T.

We wanted to pay homage to the history of the series and draw a line between Mark Morgan's musical style from Fallout 1 and 2 and Inon Zur's musical direction from Fallout 3. To this end, Inon brought everything full circle in Fallout: New Vegas with a masterful score that perfectly fit the environment.
Apparently some re-mastered Mark Morgan pieces are in the game, which is pretty cool:
I contacted Bethesda and Mark Morgan about including a selection of remastered Fallout 1 and 2 pieces in New Vegas, and all parties were fully on board. I also felt that some of the Fallout 3 tracks should make a return to help forge a synergy between all of the games in the series.
More information.

I like that they've included remastered versions of the original 2 games' music.

I also really like that the location music for the major locations can change based on whether you're considered an enemy and how you act there. It wouldn't make sense to have happy music playing in Goodsprings after you've slaughtered all of the residents.

+1
An example - Vault City music from 2 is a masterpiece that should be included at least in one small area.

Any words on possible level cap under 99? I'd hate to see it again.

Yeah it looks like most of the songs done by Morgan have been licensed and remastered for use in Fallout: New Vegas. The two I've heard confirmed to be used are the Vault City and Redding themes- though they suggested they will be using many more than that. I suppose the low-key and wonderfully subtle nature of the music from Fallouts 1 and 2 means they will likely find their way in as many of the ambient loops - though whether they will be used as location specific music or for the wasteland is unknown. They haven't confirmed if ALL of them will make an appearence but it seems they have intended to use a good deal of them.

Also, on a related note, here's a recent but still partial list of the licensed music new to Fallout New Vegas:

* Blue Moon by Frank Sinatra.
* Jingle, Jangle, Jingle by Kay Kyser.
* Orange Colored Sky by Stan Kenton and Nat King Cole.
* Big Iron by Marty Robbins
* Ain't That a Kick in the Head by Dean Martin
* It's A Sin by Eddy Arnold
* Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell
* It's A Sin To Tell A Lie by The Ink Spots
* Stars Of The Midnight Range by Johnny Bond
* Love Me As There Were No Tomorrow by Nat King Cole
* Why Don't You Do Right? by Peggy Lee And Benny Goodman
* Hangover Heart by Hank Thompson
* Johnny Guitar by Peggy Lee
* Mad About the Boy - Sung by Helen Forest
* Something's Gotta Give - Bing Crosby

This is not a complete list, but there are some impressive songs on there. There is some speculation about other new tracks too. From the acheivements list, it looks like we may get:

1) Volare! (Dean Martin)
2) G.I. Blues (Elvis Presley)
3) The Arizona Killer (Katie Lee)
4) That Lucky Old Sun (Beasley Smith and Haven Gillespie)
5) You'll Know It When It Happens (Frank Sinatra)
6) All or Nothing at All - (Sung by Frank Sinatra)
7) Ring-a-Ding-Ding! (Sinatra- this is unlikely to be included as it was post-period)
8) Let's Walk That-A-Way (with Doris Day)
9) Little Wheel (John Lee Hooker)

I hope that ends up being more than idle speculation though- since some of those songs are really great. They have said there will be some Elvis music in there (though it will likely NOT be original recordings of Elvis but rather a faithfully produced cover).

They'll also be including a lot of the Fallout 3 licensed songs as well and the licensed song from the Fallout 1 intro. Not sure how many of the Fallout 3 songs are included in the complete mix though.

30, but I couldn't source it for you.

Here's an interview where they confirm it at 30. Levelling is supposed to be more gradual above level 10 or so- it SHOULD be less likely for you to hit the level cap halfway through the game like it was in Fallout 3 at its original cap of 20.

I do expect to be installing a mod to extend that myself though- if I end up creeping up on it without finishing all the content.

Not sure if this was already posted. I've seen a review today in a print mag. XBox 360 Live! or so. 8.5/10, and they say it's what Fallout 3 should have been.

I've only briefly skimmed over the article. Don't know how they rated F3.
It's this mag http://www.360-live.de/
The October issue is available since Sept. 22nd. So it's really hard to say for how long they've actually played the game.

Fallout: NV is on the Cover. The headline is pretty hard to translate. It's something like:

Radiated
Postapocalyptic-Action
Fallout
New Vegas
Viva Las Vegas: more colorful, more brutal,
funnier. Send (or "sends", hard to say what they mean) Part Three to the Wasteland!
(I can't read the blue stuff.)

I can't read it either, from the little I see there.

Are you sure it has been available since September 22nd Gorath? Seems weird that no one talked about a review until now.

That's what their homepage says.

Wow- I'm suprised it got that high of a rating in a german game mag. The german version is the most heavily censored version since it was required to be zero-gore. Apparently this meant a little more than a few changes in the art resources and a decent amount of content had to be cut and altered to make it acceptable for sale in Germany.

I guess that makes me optimistic then if the Disneyfied version of the game still gets a realatively positive rating.

Wow- I'm suprised it got that high of a rating in a german game mag.
It's a relatively low rating. ;)
The german version is the most heavily censored version since it was required to be zero-gore.
Not true. Bethesda decided to play it safe and cut a lot of stuff out. It's more than likely they could have gotten away with far less changes. But they didn't even try. Maybe because every re-submission would have cost time and money.

The German rating criteria seem to be incredibly hard to understand for deciders without a German passport. Maybe because there is no list of forbidden things. More often than not they come to totally stupid conclusions.

Apparently this meant a little more than a few changes in the art resources and a decent amount of content had to be cut and altered to make it acceptable for sale in Germany.
Many, many changes. And half of them superfluous. As if the the USK cared about a couple of dead bodies as deco somewhere. Leaving them in wouldn't have changed the rating. Divinity 2 also has bodies and blood everywhere - as deco, not gameplay element. Rating: 12.

I talked about the blood art the Games Com. I expressed that I couldn't understand why people wanted to have blood & gore in games anyway. To me, the rguzment of it being more realistic" just doesn't count. If games were made to be more realistic, then they would have to have people vomiting in them as well. Or farting.

The omen I talked to said she couldn't underastand it either, but the fans or/and the players just wanted it. And that some things in that direction would be cut for the German market.

I told her about tht riddle/jump & run game called "Trine", which was advertised at Amazon Germany being "Uncut".

Amzon Germany puts the "uncut" tag to all games which contain blood and gore. Especuially to import versions, so gamers can decide whether they'll take the game with (imported) or without (local) blood & gore.

But this leads Amauzon to placing the tag "(Uncut)" even to games where this is total rubbish. Play the demo of Trine and you'll see what I mean.
Now you'll probably say "but this is a weak example" or "this is only one of many games", and I reply : "next they are calling "So Blonde" as "(Uncut") too ???" It is a bad sign for me that the pressure is so high that mazon or the publisher places this tag "(Uncut)" even on harmless jump & run games. How much pressure is needed that they label just jump & run/riddle games as being "uncut" - even if they don't contain ANY blood at all ???

And to make it clear _ You won't find this anymor. Because the tag "(Uncut)" was placed on Trine as long as Ascaron wanted to publish it - which was in fact only very few months or even weeks before Ascaron went bancrupt. I wonder what they were thinking, then, because they probably had sent this item description directly to Amazon, I assume.

There is still a glimpse of the original description here : http://www.vista-spiele.de/353-trine-pc-englisch-uncut.html

There was nothing to be cut from Trine, it was pretty gore-free if my memory serves me correctly. Sounds more like marketing than anything.

Yes, marketing seems to be the only rational explanation of it.
And - of course - there must be people falling for it, of course.

@JDR13 : I never said I was normal. ;)

When I was younger, I did eat enough meat. My father is even a hunter. That's not the problem.
The problem is the inner belief. And the sensitivity.
Now I'm to 70-80 % Vegetarian. Because of the inner beliefs.
Believe me, there are times when I'm about to curse my sensitivity. I can only guess that I've got too many "mirror-neurons" as well. It can be a real nuisance sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom