The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Currently listening to a recently released preview song from the upcoming Cynic EP.

They seem to be covering a bit new ground, which I´m glad for because their comeback album didn´t work for me as well as the classic Focus (Veil of Maya and such) - it was a bit too disjointed for my tastes (at least when it comes to this particular style, I love Mr. Bungle´s Disco Volante, for example :)), I wasn´t much fond of the vocal production and, well, the album overall felt kinda forced to me.

Anyway, if this new song is of any indication, I like the direction they´re taking. Motives have more time to breathe, there are more post rock-y, as well as "poppy" elements, harsh vocals, which felt tackled on on previous album anyway, were probably removed altogether.
Amazing instrumentation and moments with distinctively "alien" atmosphere are still there, plus I think the overall production is superb and helps the bass in particular.

Aaaand here´s the tune:
Carbon Based Anatomy

Why does so much music I like come for Sweden I often wonder? :)
Haha, at least when it comes to metal in ´90+, I´ve often asked similar question, broadened to Canada + Scandinavia.
However, from where I´m sitting, nothing can quite compare to what was happening with rock music in Great Britain during the circa ´68 - ´75 period :).

Last edited:
I have to say that if you want what's tops on my gothic doom list, try Draconian's "where lovers mourn" or Tristania's "widows weeds", both acts changed their sound later but those are the quintessential gothic doom albums for both.

I had no idea there were so many like minded individuals as far as music is concerned. It's wonderful!

As for gothic doom, I'd also recommend two of Tristania's albums: Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil. Widow's Weeds takes a more gloomy, slow melancholy approach while Beyond the Veil is a more fast paced, powerful choir based album. I would consider Widow's Weeds is a personal favorite, though.

Draconian's album Where Lovers Mourn is also wonderful. Although, I dropped that off my favorite list some time back.

You may enjoy Lethian Dreams as well. I absolutely adore it, but others comment on how some of their music tends to drag on. The Bleak Silver Streams album has songs that are each at least 8 minutes in length, with roughly six tracks, I believe.

Lethian Dreams - Severance

Trail of Tears and The Sins of Thy Beloved were great before they both disbanded after their first couple albums, if I recall correctly. I like to think of them as a mixture of Doom/Gothic.

I'd have to say that my most listened to band at the moment is Sirenia (though particularly their first two albums, as I was generally disappointed in anything after produced thereafter).

Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens

Lately though, I've found myself slowly moving away from the heavy, bombastic beats of metal and more toward symphonic music (usually a lot of Gregorian chanting involved of a choir of some sort). It may be due to my current mood and state of mind, but at the moment I find it absolutely captivating, such as Sirenia's Obire Mortem. It certainly sets an atmosphere, and that's what I aim for in my taste of music. Of course, Tristania's very oldest works far outclass them, in my opinion.

Tristania - Preludium…
Tristania - …Postludium
Tristania - Sirene
Sirenia - Obire Mortem

An then, there's my all time favorite neoclassical act, Dark Sanctuary.

Dark Sanctuary - Funerailles

Last edited:
yeah, unfortunately Sirenia's become a total joke. Look at any of their newer stuff, Morten is hilarious in the videos.

Thanks alot for the Lethian Dreams referral, never heard of them. I really like the beauty/beast gothic metal genre, make it slow and doomy and I'm in heaven. I assume youve burned thru Theatre of Tragedy as well? Just like Sirenia, first couple or so are good, then they went totally downhill. Some would say Tristania did as well, but at least they were good up until roughly World of Glass.

xSamhainx said:
yeah, unfortunately Sirenia's become a total joke. Look at any of their newer stuff, Morten is hilarious in the videos.

Couln't agree more (hence the reason I mention the first two albums only).

xSamhainx said:
Thanks alot for the Lethian Dreams referral, never heard of them. I really like the beauty/beast gothic metal genre, make it slow and doomy and I'm in heaven.

It's my favorite type of music as well. I've been around it for so many years, and never seems to grow old.

xSamhainx said:
I assume youve burned thru Theatre of Tragedy as well? Just like Sirenia, first couple or so are good, then they went totally downhill.

Indeed! Although they've been deemed the "creators" of beauty and the beast gothic/doom, I can't say I ever really enjoyed any of their songs. Perhaps Venus, but that's about it.

xSamhainx said:
Some would say Tristania did as well, but at least they were good up until roughly World of Glass.

Agreed, and again, it's identical to what I mentioned for Sirenia - only the first couple of albums. World of Glass wasn't too bad, but not so much a favorite, either.

If you don't mind the somewhat cheesy music videos and J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth music theme, I would also give Battlelore a listen. They're the one band I wouldn't say has gone downhill after 11 years. The lineup has stood strong, and they haven't really dabbled in the "unfamiliar" (if you know what I mean), which keeps their work very solid. They're more akin to gothic than doom, however. I like to think of them as another personal favorite of mine as well.

Battlelore - House of Heroes

I also adore The Sins Of Thy Beloved, but they've been on haitus since 2000! Their only two albums, Lake of Sorrow (1998) and Perpetual Desolation (2000) are some of the best out there. They are more doomish than anything I've mentioned thus far (next to Lethian Dreams, I believe).

The Sins of Thy Beloved - The Flame of Wrath

Trail of Tears is another, and most people discover them when they look into The Sins Of Thy Beloved, and vice versa (they're mentioned together about 99% of the time). Still an active band, but I haven't heard any of their later works post 2002. Their albums Profoundemonium (2000) and A New Dimension of Might (2002) are beautiful (but A New Dimension of Might is exceptional). They're more akin to gothic/black.

Trail of Tears - Ecstatic

Last edited:
Hell yeah, you got good taste! Someone I can talk real gothic metal with. A lamentable trend is this stupid notion that any metal band w/ a female lead dressed in black is gothic metal. Bullshit. Nightwish is not gothic metal, while they have some good stuff, they arent gothic metal period. Leaves Eyes is not gothic metal.

I like Sins of Thy Beloved first cd, the second one they went a bit more bombastic and I just didnt like it as much. The other problem I've had w/ Sins is that I cant understand a lot of their stuff, I need to be able to grab onto lyrics or I lose interest. Sounds awesome tho.

I'm a major Battlelore fan, I love them in all their awesome Tolkien goodness! We're big LOTR fans, I swear if Battlelore came to San Diego we'd be in the front row dressed as elves or something. Unlike most other acts mentioned, Battlelore is also consistently great thruout their career.
Journey to Undying Lands was the first glimpse i got of them a long time ago trawling Youtube, and it still remains my favorite.

Favorite cd is "where the shadows lie", followed by "Sword's Song".

have you ever listened to How Like a Winter? highly recommnded.

Listening to Blood Ceremony's "Living with the Ancients", it's not as good as their debut but I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:
My preference for Battlelore is identical to yours. I still adore Journey to Undying Lands, because that's also how I discovered them. Where the Shadows Lie and Swords Song are tied for favorites, but I prefer Shadows a tad more. Similarly, I felt the Evernight album was pretty dark and well composed.

About Battlelore being consistent, they're the reason they still remain my top current favorite (as we both mentioned earlier).

I'll give the other two you mentioned a listen later today. I haven't traversed the realm of other bands out there in a little over a year now. As you stated, most modern acts tend to pass off as gothic, so it's tougher to wade through the dirt and discover the real gems as it was, say, 10-15 years ago.

I'll spend some time rediscovering some others that I've forgotten over the years. The bands I've mention so far are only a fraction of what really captivated me.

Last edited:

Ah yes, good old Dead Can Dance.

I used to listen to DCD, and Summoning is one of their finest works. I still prefer Dark Sanctuary myself, I think they set a darker mood and atmosphere as opposed to DCD. But DCD is always a wonderful choice.

Dark Sanctuary - Présence (Presence)
Dark Sanctuary - Les Mémoires Blessées (The Wounded Memories)

I really like that song you linked (Watching From a Distance), and the singer is decent but at times he seems to have too high of a pitch for my tastes.

I still prefer Dark Sanctuary myself,
I quite like DS as well, sorry for the "c´mon" remark, that was a consequence of me being weekend-y drunk :).

One more nice, a bit neoclassical-y tune:
Ulver - Eos
It´s from the Shadows of the Sun album which I don´t find all that engaging as a whole, but I love this particular piece.

Also, one pretty good gothic doom album that hasn´t been mentioned yet, Virgin Black´s Requiem - Mezzo Forte:
Domine
…and I Am Suffering

Last edited:
Came across this band/project on emusic: Öresund Space Collective. A psychedelia/prog rock outfit from Denmark. Here's Rumble part 1 from their Black Tomato album.

Says pibbur who also likes Goth Metal.

Opeth / Katatonia tour

I was at the Opeth / Katatonia show in Portland last night, so here's a brief review for anyone who might be planning to catch this tour.

Katatonia opened and they were very good. They were actually heavier than Opeth (more on that in a second). They played a good mix of their newer material and some of their older stuff. I'm not super familiar with all of their albums but I've always enjoyed them - great, dark, emotive music.

Now on to Opeth. I can sum it up like this: if you like the "new direction" they are taking with the Heritage album - you will love the show. If you prefer Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries (like I do) - you will be very disappointed. They didn't play any songs that had the growled vocals or extreme metal elements. The played a few older songs but they were softer ones, like "Face of Melinda" from Still Life.

I was disappointed with Opeth's set but I still had fun. They are great musicians there is no doubt about that. I just am not sure I like the "new" Opeth as much as the one I knew. To me, the mixture of heavy / soft and extreme / delicate elements of the old albums has always been part of their appeal. Now they are mostly just prog with very little metal at all.

Bummer. At least Katatonia threw you a few bones w/ the older stuff. I dont like any of their newer stuff, admittedly I havent given it that much of a chance. "Brave Murder Day" and especially "Dance of December Souls" grabbed me right away and held me in their grip for a while, I really liked those cd's a few years ago.

I just remembered Mike A. of Opeth is the the ex-vocalist for Katatonia (at least on B.M.D.), weird having both bands playing the same gig

In Silence Enshrined

Blackened Roses in the Cradle of Sleep
whisper "Our Death is Eternal"

Bleak bleak album, but good

I like both instances of Opeth, I don't mind their new direction, as I like both metal and prog rock. At least Opeth don't stagnate. But I can understand the disappointment from primarily metal aficionados.

FWIW Dream Theater also migrated to a more prog rock sound on their latest album, I suspect that has something to do with Portnoy leaving the band.

BTW - What is correct English, writing "Opeth doesn't stagnate" or "Opeth don't stagnate". Opeth is one singular band, but consist of many members.

says pibbur who wants some English guidance

Bummer. At least Katatonia threw you a few bones w/ the older stuff. I dont like any of their newer stuff, admittedly I havent given it that much of a chance. "Brave Murder Day" and especially "Dance of December Souls" grabbed me right away and held me in their grip for a while, I really liked those cd's a few years ago.

I just remembered Mike A. of Opeth is the the ex-vocalist for Katatonia (at least on B.M.D.), weird having both bands playing the same gig
Well, by older stuff I didn't mean they went as far back Dance of December Souls / Brave Murder Day era. But still albums 10+ years old. I would have loved for Mike Akerfeldt to jump in and do a Brave Murder Day song with them live. That is a great album!
I like both instances of Opeth, I don't mind their new direction, as I like both metal and prog rock. At least Opeth don't stagnate. But I can understand the disappointment from primarily metal aficionados.

FWIW Dream Theater also migrated to a more prog rock sound on their latest album, I suspect that has something to do with Portnoy leaving the band.

BTW - What is correct English, writing "Opeth doesn't stagnate" or "Opeth don't stagnate". Opeth is one singular band, but consist of many members.

Well the thing is, that I like both metal and prog too. I like plenty of "pure" prog bands, like King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Rush, Yes, ELP, etc. But what I felt made Opeth special was putting extreme metal in a prog context. Very few other bands had done that before (when they started out), and none had done it as elegantly. I don't want them to stagnate and do the same thing over and over again, but it seems they are throwing out 90% of their repertoire. I suppose I will adjust to the new direction if they put out quality material. So far, Heritage doesn't really grab me though.

As for the English question - "Opeth doesn't stagnate" sounds better but I think both are valid. I'm not 100% certain though.

…But what I felt made Opeth special was putting extreme metal in a prog context. Very few other bands had done that before (when they started out), and none had done it as elegantly..

I guess you're right, that was special, and it will be missed. Maybe they'll go back to metal later (despite what Åkerfeldt said), like they did after "Damnation"?

In the meantime, there is Gojira, although they don't combine clean singing and monster cookie. And are not as productive.

says pibbur who thinks their performance of A sight to behold at Live at Vieilles Charrues Festival 2010 is a sight to behold.

I like both instances of Opeth, I don't mind their new direction, as I like both metal and prog rock.
Well, in my case it´s not about genre preferences, but simply about perceived quality.
I consider Heritage overall average-at-best not because it´s prog rock.
I think quite the same about Watershed - and that´s still album more in the vein of "old" Opeth - because it suffers from what I consider similar deficiencies.
I like Damnation a lot more than both and that´s pretty much prog rock as well, though maybe not as typically so as Heritage.

Anyway, Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (2011)
When it comes to prog and as far as I´m concerned, now we´re talking :).
Can´t say I enjoyed the latest Porcupine Tree or Blackfield, but this solo hit the spot.
Index
Postcard
Remainder the Black Dog
Kinda hard to do the album justice with few songs as it´s a pretty eclectic one and works well as a whole.

Also,
Came across this band/project on emusic: Öresund Space Collective. A psychedelia/prog rock outfit from Denmark. Here's Rumble part 1 from their Black Tomato album.
This rawks.

Last edited:

You could probably get away with either one without anyone noticing, but the "correct" usage would depend on context. Since in this case you're talking about "the sound", that refers to the entire band as a whole--treat it as a singular noun (Opeth doesn't stagnate). If you were, for instance, referring to the outfits worn by the band at a concert, that refers to multiple individuals within the band--treat it as a plural noun (Opeth wear lots of black--not Opeth wears lots of black).

To topic:
Depreciation Guild for me today

Anyway, Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (2011)
When it comes to prog and as far as I´m concerned, now we´re talking :).
Can´t say I enjoyed the latest Porcupine Tree or Blackfield, but this solo hit the spot.
Index
Postcard
Remainder the Black Dog
Kinda hard to do the album justice with few songs as it´s a pretty eclectic one and works well as a whole.

Indeed it does, just got it, it's great.

says pibbur who likes every PT album (and who knows it's a great way of inspiring the attention of women)

Back
Top Bottom