Pick my RPG Lineup

donjn

Watcher
I am embrassed to say that I have not played some of these games. The good news is that if it isn't listed here, chances are I've played it. I need a little help. I would like to get some opinions on the order in which I should play these games. Please think about factors such as a shock to the system by going from poor graphics to good and back. Also consider sequels too.

Arcanum (I have a save about halfway done with the game)
Might and Magic III
World of Xeen
Might and Magic VI
Planescape Tourment
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Gothic II (tried this twice already and never could finish it. Love it though. Third time a charm?)
Realms of Arkania 1
Realms of Arkania 2
Deus Ex
Eschalon II (finished the first one)
Replay the Ultima series from 1 to IX including Underworld series (never done those)

Please do not mention something not listed :)

Planescape: Torment would be my first choice, or alternatively BG 1 followed by PS:T, as that way you'll probably end up appreciating PS:T even more. Play BG2 after PS:T as it actually gives a few nods back to that game (not many, but they are there).
Preferably you want something to play between the infinity engine games, so that it won't get too repetitive, so some Might & Magic 3 would probably work quite well here.
After this, another infinity engine game (either BG1 or PS:T depending on which one you played first) and then Gothic 2.

I don't think there will be any major problems with graphics here. Realms of Arkania, Deus Ex & M&M 6 will probably be the biggest offenders, for their own individual reasons, but nothing too jarring. I would go so far as to say that most of these games actually look pretty good, even today.

So basically:
Planescape: Torment OR Baldur's Gate 1
Might & Magic 3
The other infinity engine game (i.e. either PS:T or BG1)
Gothic 2
Deus Ex (easy transition from Gothic)
Realms of Arkania
BG:2
and then I'm not sure.

I would not really recommend playing through all Ultimas, unless you are a die hard fan of the series. Ultima 1-3 have aged quite poorly, and don't have a strong story connection anyway.

Relams of Arkania appears to be getting the Hd treatment with some involvement from the orig. developers so it might be worth waiting on put it at the bottom of the list.

If i remember correctly work of Xeen is a Combination of Might and Magic IV and MIght and Magic V, with just a little linking content added.

Might and Magic VI removes the cartoonist character look to add a #D like engine that was also used in later M&M games VII and VIII.

For Ultimas I never really got into the earlier ones though it had multiple versions, I would start at Ultima IV and continue on from there if you like it. There are some excellent Modifications for the Ultima's especially noted are the Ultima IV VGA upgrade, Exult for Ultima 7 (Yay no Dosbox), Pentagram for Ultima 8 (Another no DosBox), I thik there also one for Ultima 6 called Nuvie ( I haven't tried it).

I'd also recommend Eschelon 2 I preferred it to Eschelon.

Why not play them in more or less chronological order?

Ultima 1-5. I wouldn't bother with 1-3, though.
Might&Magic 3
Ultima Underworld
Ultima VII - The Black Gate
(Darkside of Xeen)
Ultima Underworld 2
Ultima VII: Part Two - Serpent Isle
Cloudside of Xeen, or World of Xeen in one go
Baldur's Gate
Might and Magic VI
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate 2
Arcanum
Gothic II
Eschalon

And as Shaf suggested, wait for the remakes of the Realms of Arkania games.

Some of the games, especially Ultima Underworld, are easier to enjoy if you are already in "retro mode". Going from Skyrim to UU can be rough, but going from the early Ultimas and MM3 it's another matter.

I strongly encourage you to play the Ultima Underworld games. For U5&6 try the Lazarus and Archon versions with the DS engine.

I also strongly support PST, BG, Gothic2, and the M&M games. You can't go wrong with Arcanum either. The graphics on the older games are obviously poorer than the later iterations, but you could group several together as has been suggested. Gothic 2 Gold is one of the best games ever made in the opinion of a GREAT many people!!

Wait for the Arkania HD versions. Skip Ultima 1-3. Play Eschalon 2 whenever you feel like it.

I'm not sure the first Baldur's Gate is still worth playing if you could also play the 2nd game.
Planescape is worth a shot. It will be hit or miss.
Reg. M&M I would start with M&M 3. Worlds of Xeen (M&M 4 + 5) uses the same technology. So you'll know exactly if you want more of the same.

Replaying the Ultimas with the latest conversions sounds like a good idea.

The games are quite different. What would you prefer right now? A party based RPG? In that case, I'd go for BG1 + 2. More of a solo character thing? Gothic is the clear winner. What kind of setting? Etc etc.

I'd tackle Realms of Arkania. GoG has a version that runs in Win7 IIRC.

If you like tactical combat, but don't like manual mapping, MM2 is the Might&Magic game to play. MM3-5 has a much simpler, and IMO boring, combat system. It's so simple that it might just as well have been real time, so MM6-9 is a natural evolution in that regard.

Ultima Underworld I & II was pretty good, if you want to play Baldur's Gate (Gibberling3 Mods are a must have) definitely play I and transfer your party in part 2.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you not to play Ultima I, II or III. You can watch the genre evolve before your eyes. However, I wouldn't bother finishing Ultima II.

You can watch as Garriot learns to streamline a game with U3, still my favourite of the bunch - a lesson he forgot in U5. I would also give yourself about 20 minutes on Akalabeth and try out a copy of DnD which Akalabeth is effectively a clone of (with 3D dungeons).

But definitely play BG1&2 - especially U2. You will want to get the patch that skips the intro however, and I recommend doing every sidequest in the game the first time. That is a very, very long game and I can't bring myself to play it again to see what I missed.

I have to start Eschalon II again. Loved the first one but tis been stop and go on the second.

I loved the Might and Magics 1-3 but I'm afraid the cutting edge quality of the games in their time is lost now. Syncing the graphics of a horse eating hay with the clicks of data being read of the floppy drive wouldn't be considered cutting edge in this day and age. I still don't know how they got those amazing textures on the walls with such limited memory back then. Compare it to any contemporary SSI Gold Box game.

BG1 is superior to BG2 in some ways, and now is a great time to play it with the recent release of the Enhanced Edition.

I saw that on steam last night and almost went for it, but i have too much im playing right now to do that. Like thats ever stopped me...

Have you played the EE, is it all it's cracked up to be?

I was going with a next gen system with the best/largest upcoming RPG lineup.

Back
Top Bottom