MMO News?

• Yes

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Specific

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
OK, quite a few regulars here do play MMO's. The 3 which seem to be the most popular right now are DDO, LoTRO, and GW2. There's a few others on the horizon such as ES and NWN which many appear interested in. That being said, these game do get some coverage in various related forum threads. The bottom line as hinted at by Myrthos is that it can be quite time consuming posting MMO news and we don't want to burn out our few news posters.

Be careful about a poll. Blizzard employees could stuff the e-ballot box. ;)

Don't give them any ideas.:) I can imagine they would do it to.

Until we have easily accessible filter options for visitors in regards to news type (default: don't show MMO news?), I'm with Gorath and would stay out of MMO waters.

I'm fine with the occasional MMO newsbit, just as I am with the occasional news of general interest, or news about adventures or strategy games with a relationship to RPGs. The editors have generally shown a good feel for what is of general interest and what isn't. The focus should remain with the SP RPG genre.
(with that in mind I am choosing "specific")

There's a bit of a chicken-n-egg situation in play, but if you really want your answer, take a look at the traffic in our MMO forum. There's 1 thread going wild... that involves all of 3 people (safe to say more are reading, but it's still 3 folks doing the work). There's the occasional drop-in for Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars. There was a thread going for DDO that's run out of gas. And there are the MU spammers, whatever the hell MU is. If we had "critical mass" to support a genuine interest in MMO news, there'd be more traffic in the MMO forum. Without that baseline level of interest, adding coverage will be largely wasted effort.

Just look at the number of people who took the poll. Only 20? Has this community shrunken that small, or do a lot of us not care?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no interest in MMOs, so naturally I don't read the news about them. I leave it to others and what you feel like keeping tabs on, though.

Just look at the number of people who took the poll. Only 20? Has this community shrunken that small, or do a lot of us not care?
We have quite a lot of visitors, but not that many participate on the forums. Most don't get beyond the front page. They are the silent majority :)

*Drunken Post incoming*

In theory MMOs could be the best thing for us nerds since sliced bread - but they just are not. Between Grinding and Pay to Win Mechanics the Roleplay in MMOs is AFAIK non existent.

I played a few Years WoW and while I can't stand what the Game slowly but surely became, I had some really great times with it - but that was because of great Roleplayers and not because of the Game - i.e. there was one Guy who tried to organize Adventures as a Dungeon Master, it was some kind of virtual LARPing (lots of emotes and talking), but I had fun :) He gave up after a few months though. There were some Roleplaying Events where I had the urge to strangle my fellow gamers, because this guys and gals just couldn't shut up and let the plot advance - Hell is other People :)

Well, one moment of greatness was the cross-community fair, where the german and the english community gathered for one fair:

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_062109_173718.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_062109_173718.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 48
I'm not overly fond of the sudden resurgence of MMO news, and unless there's a way to filter or separate the feed, I vote to omit them.

Back
Top Bottom