Ultima Forever - Beta Signups

Don't worry about classes, I'm pretty sure the game will feature the eight traditionnal Ultima classes. They just haven't revealed them yet.

As for the Lady British thing, I just don't see what's the big deal is seriously…

-Sergorn

No one wants to see Richard Garriott in drag? :biggrin:

Paul Barnett said:
"Every generation deserves an Ultima," Barnett declared grandly, "And we're giving this generation the best BioWare Ultima that we can."
So, obviously this is not a game for long-time Ultima fans - he says it right there. It's for the "new" generation.

As if tarnishing the Ultima name wasn't enough, they'll also be trampling all over Ultima IV - my favorite entry in the series.

I have very low expectations for this.

Just wish someone out there could get it through their skull that what everyone is craving is another single-player Ultima game in the spirit of U4 through U7.
Divinity: Original Sin is what you might consider looking forward to :).
It comes with co-op, but it can be played SP as well and, as far as available info goes, the development of co-op aspect likely won´t take away anything from SP, rather the opposite actually.

Divinity: Original Sin is what you might consider looking forward to :).

I am absolutley looking forward to this title!

A simplified party system and linear, consolish level design?

Although I have to admit I'm really enjoying Mass Effect despite a similar recipe. :)

Actually, I really enjoyed the approach to cinematic storytelling in KotOR - and the way you got your own ship and got to choose what planet you wanted to explore first.

We definitely agree that the console limitations hurt the game - and it was not good for us PC gamers.

But the combined result of KotOR was definitely one of their best games. Mass Effect represents a dumbed down version - and it's missing a lot of the best stuff. Primarily, I miss the interaction with computer systems - and the D&D character system. On top of that, I miss the loot and modification system of KotOR - as it was much better.

But, no doubt, Mass Effect is the superior movie.

I don't see how Mass Effect is dumbed down compared to KotOR. It's simpler in some ways and expanded in others, but considering how different the gameplay is, I think it's sort of hard to compare them.

I agree that Mass Effect is less of an RPG though. Although that didn't stop me from enjoying it more than KotOR. I think it's the best game Bioware has done in terms of background lore, and that goes a long way for me.

Fair enough, we don't have to agree :)

I'm not sure I'd put Mass Effect above Dragon Age in terms of lore - but they both share strong background material.

I think where Mass Effect really shines is in terms of atmosphere and the power of the sci-fi setting. The music also helps a lot - and it's truly fantastic work.

As for the gameplay - I think it's much weaker than both Dragon Age and KotOR.

I find the lore of Mass Effect significantly more interesting than Dragon Age, but I realize that's subjective. While I enjoyed DA:O, I also felt it was terribly cliche even by Bioware standards.

Although I admit that Mass Effect has an advantage simply by being Sci-fi and therefore has less titles to compare/compete with in terms of setting and lore.

I don't see the gameplay being weaker, but again that's subjective. It's less tactical without a doubt, but tactics don't always equate to more fun for me.

Gameplay isn't just combat for me. It's about character development and the player horizon. For instance, the computer interaction in KotOR was a much bigger deal and enabled you to "hack" stuff, play logs, access security cameras, and find bits of information by having the appropriate skills.

In ME - you get a stupid minigame and super streamlined interaction with pretty much everything.

I find this streamlined gameplay in Mass Effect rather boring - and the party system is very clumsy. They don't really do what you expect them to - and I can't count how many times my members ended up dead in the first 5 seconds of the fight - with me having to clean up.

Then there's the whole shooter approach that doesn't quite work. It's a subpar shooter - and a subpar RPG.

Oh, KotOR had a pretty awful party system as well - but the "under-the-hood" turnbased D&D system meant it didn't feel quite as awkward having to pause and adjust.

Don't even get me started on the loot/mod system of ME. I don't think it's easy coming up with a more bland and uninteresting system even if you tried. But at least it ties in with the lore in a way.

I also quite liked the arenas, card game, and pod-racing of KotOR. It was just a richer gameplay experience overall.

No doubt Dragon Age - as a fantasy game - had a lot of clichés (which BW game doesn't) - but I think it was truly fleshed out in a way that almost no other games do. I also loved the whole "The Fade" stuff with magic. I think that was pretty brilliant.

Mass Effect has strong lore - and it's a relatively unique take on sci-fi. But it's not quite as fleshed out or deep as Dragon Age.

Gameplay isn't just combat for me. It's about character development and the player horizon. For instance, the computer interaction in KotOR was a much bigger deal and enabled you to "hack" stuff, play logs, access security cameras, and find bits of information by having the appropriate skills.

In ME - you get a stupid minigame and super streamlined interaction with pretty much everything.

I find this streamlined gameplay in Mass Effect rather boring - and the party system is very clumsy. They don't really do what you expect them to - and I can't count how many times my members ended up dead in the first 5 seconds of the fight - with me having to clean up.

Then there's the whole shooter approach that doesn't quite work. It's a subpar shooter - and a subpar RPG.

Well like I said, it's definitely less tactical and less of an RPG. However, ME is greater than the sum of its parts for me. The overall experience is simply better than KotOR. Maybe it has something to do with me being burned-out on the Star Wars IP by the time KotOR came around. Regardless, I simply find Mass Effect far more interesting in terms of story and characters.

Of course expectations could also be a factor. Look at what prior releases KotOR had to be compared to back then. :)

Mass Effect has strong lore - and it's a relatively unique take on sci-fi. But it's not quite as fleshed out or deep as Dragon Age.

We seem to remember Dragon Age differently then.

Well like I said, it's definitely less tactical and less of an RPG. However, ME is greater than the sum of its parts for me. The overall experience is simply better than KotOR. Maybe it has something to do with me being burned-out on the Star Wars IP by the time KotOR came around. Regardless, I simply find Mass Effect far more interesting in terms of story and characters.

As I said, that's fair enough. I'm not going to deny the power of Mass Effect. I was quite immersed in that game myself - and I've played it several times. It's a fantastic experience.

KotOR was special to me, though. Not sure why, but everything in that game just clicked at the time. I was hating on Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones - and KotOR was just what I needed to get my love for the setting back.

The plot "got me" - as did the twist. I even had something of a crush on Bastila :)

Of course expectations could also be a factor. Look what KotOR had to be compared to back then. :)

I compared it primarily to Lucas' latest work ;)

We seem to remember Dragon Age differently then.

So it would seem. It's fair to mention that they DID work on Dragon Age for a very long time.

Lady British? So lord British really had an affair with Nell the chamber maid

They can stick their lousy MMO where the sun doesn't shine. Ultima series ended with Serpent Isle and its expansion. Had they actually released Pagan the way it became after patches and with its rumored expansion it could have been half decent too. Nothing can save the turd called Ascension though. And i honestly thought they couldn't make a worse Ultima game after that. You live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom