What games are you ashamed to say you've never played?

txa1265

SasqWatch
Based off a blog post at Joystiq, there is the question ... nobody has enough time to play everything, so what have you missed that makes you think "how can I call myself a gamer when I haven't played _____"?

Planescape:torment, Baldur's Gate 1, Arcanum, all of the ultima and wizardy games, there's a whole bunch of them really.
I just came into RPG gaming too late, and some of those I can't get hold of, some of those I can't get to work, and others make me cringe everytime I see their graphics...

Hmmm... sometimes I miss a game I'd like to play because of negligence on my part (I rarely follow ad campaigns), sometimes I miss it because it's not published here. If the urge to play it is so strong I actually feel regret, I try to get it anyway: in one case it took me several years.
None of these missed occasions lowered my self-esteem, however. And I don't think myself a lesser gamer for not having played some of the games considered must-haves by many, either.

planescape:torment
grim fandango
utlima 6-7

Of course the before-my-time games as Sorcha says. Playing an old game for the first time on Dos box after you've been weaned on today's graphical splendor is not the same experience.

Quake, Duke Nukem and all the fps genre, Deus Ex(I died four times in the tutorial)System Shock, Thief, Myst, Final Fantasy(which I still can't figure out if it's single or multiplayer)the Ultimas(same problem, single or multi?) and many many more I'm sure.
Oh, also I sometimes hang my head for never having the courage to play any MMORPG. But not too often;)

The Ultima games, and early Zelda games. Games with Mario in them.
Star Wars games for consoles.

I bought the Ultima games as an compilation in disquettes on a flea market a few years ago, and there they sit, still unplayed.

One rather creepy moment was that I found out what some folks had burned in an illegal small camp-fire within a local park one or two years ago : Deducing from the fragments I collected, these must've been handbooks from Ultima games ...

Quake, Duke Nukem and all the fps genre, Deus Ex(I died four times in the tutorial)System Shock, Thief, Myst, Final Fantasy(which I still can't figure out if it's single or multiplayer)the Ultimas(same problem, single or multi?) and many many more I'm sure
Vhoa,then you missed most of my favorite games/series :).

GTA - San Andres

I'm ashamed because I got it for christmas 2 years ago and still never installed it

y'now I can't think of any?
over the years I started making good money and so I was buying a new game every paycheque.

anything that got too old to find - suddenly this new fangled thing called the inter-net popped up. then there was a move to make emulators. I ended up trying out everything that I felt I missed out on. some got me curious like the vic-20 Ultima but I never had any real interest in it. it was thought lost for a long time but now someone found a working copy out there.

I'm more ashamed to have bought many games I have no use for.

I buy every game I think I will enjoy!! It's the only hobby I spend a great deal of money on. (Most of that is upgrading my PC :) ) I've played every RPG (not MMO, or JRPG) and quite a few of the classic adventure games (QFG, MI, S the S, IJ, KQ, etc, etc.)

zeldas
system shock 1
arcanium
the dig
thief 2
gabriel knight series ( I do plan to correct this, please don't crusify me)

Ambermoon/Amberstar and Darklands. Pretty much played every other rpg(english ones) ever made, and I'm saving these till I have a gaming drought.

Privateer. I completely missed those games despite being a Wing Commander fan. Also, Wizardry. I don't remember which one I tried to play but it made me feel dizzy.

Other than that I think I've gamed to my heart's content. I spent a long time between high school and real life relaxing and doing whatever whim struck me.

Vhoa,then you missed most of my favorite games/series :).

I know--sometimes I have to go look up your games (after I figure out the acronyms) on wikipedia :) I did buy Lands of LoreII:: Rise of the Necromancer(?), but I died pretty thoroughly in that also.:'( Too bad, because what little bit of it I survived I remember as being really fun.

I didn't mean to make you cry! :'( I just thought our tastes in games were rather incompatible; it's not as if you *had* to play 'my' games, or vice versa, there are enough genres and sub-genres to make us all happy!
Oh: It's Lands of Lore 2: Guardians of Destiny (and if you start to randomly kill things, it becomes rather difficult indeed... happened to me on my first play-through). 'Rise of the Necromancer' is a Heroes of Might & Magic campaign, if I recall correctly.

The Final Fantasy series, started on #1 but got bored.
The Resident Evil series, got bored when I left the mansion.
The Metal Gear Solid series, never got hold of them.
The Zelda games past #1, got bored half-way through #2.
Arcanum, reached the first city.
Ultima 2-9, never got hold of them.
System Shock 1, looks too old.
Quest for Glory 1-5, planned once the #2 VGA version is released.
Phantasmagoria 1-2, planned for next summer.

The Ultima series (only played through some of the Lazarus remake).
Any of the games in the M&M franchise, with the exception of some of the later "Heroes" titles.
Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast (although I did play through BG2).
Icewind Dale series.
The Krondor games.

Back
Top Bottom