Legend of Grimrock - Launch Week, Patch Details

I'm really disliking the interface - if it's 3D it should support proper mouselook and I'd like to be able to strafe-circle easily, if this is a tactic required to avoid damage. At the moment I tend to spin the wrong way etc. Very frustrating. I also second a way for storing spell run combos - frantically clicking while in combat is no fun. Well, after the first few minutes. Still, its fun and I'm glad they're doing well of their sales.

So do you consider the mouse look they currently have (click right and move the mouse) to be 'improper' mouse look ?

I'm really disliking the interface - if it's 3D it should support proper mouselook and I'd like to be able to strafe-circle easily, if this is a tactic required to avoid damage. At the moment I tend to spin the wrong way etc. Very frustrating. I also second a way for storing spell run combos - frantically clicking while in combat is no fun. Well, after the first few minutes. Still, its fun and I'm glad they're doing well of their sales.

So do you consider the mouse look they currently have (click right and move the mouse) to be 'improper' mouse look ?

Compared to, you know, just moving the mouse? Yeah.

The current directional turn is a bit flaky - there's some lag and if you click/drag at the wrong time it does nothing. Each time I die in combat, its because I didn't move where I wanted to go. Perhaps I'm just clumsy, but if so its a new things that evolved over the last few hours of me playing Grimrock ;-)

I'm loving it, tbh. The puzzles actually require thought and, in some cases, some real dexterity. The best rewards I've seen so far have been from figuring out hidden stuff, not off the monsters themselves. I'm not sure how much more I have left, I'm currently on level 6, but I'll be buying the next game, or add-on for this one as soon as they're released.

-Carn

Love the game, but I'm annoyed by their limited choice of character portraits - no way to have more than 2 females in my party, for example - no way I complete this crawler without my usual all-girl squad! :O

Love the game, but I'm annoyed by their limited choice of character portraits - no way to have more than 2 females in my party, for example - no way I complete this crawler without my usual all-girl squad! :O

Yeah, the choice of avatars is disappointingly limited. It would be nice if they could add some more in a future patch.

Otherwise, the game is fantastic. GoTY for me so far.

12 hours in and on dungeon level 6. Really enjoyed the first 8 hours. Starting to really tire of the puzzles now though. It's switch, button, pit, switch, button, pit over and over again and now i'm hitting timed area's where you have to make it to a gate or something before it closes. It wouldn't be so bad but many are just trial and error, get so far mess up and puzzle resets then get a little further and reset until you finally finish.

Really hoping to make this the first indie I ever finish but it's starting to feel like a real slog now. Just stopped playing hopefully I get the ambition to return.

Finally completed it, but... I only found 41/71 secrets 6/10 skulls etc. etc. I thought I had been pretty thorough too, seems I wasn't. Time to start again, and see if I can find more hidden goodies than last time.

I liked the game and it's ending. There isn't a lot to complain about, it's very solid. An optional permadeath mode would be nice.

3 hours and dungeon level 5 - and it's getting kinda stale with the endless samey puzzles. I expected this to happen, but I still think it's surprisingly strong for such a simple concept.

I'm not sure I'll get through it - but I'll definitely keep an eye on their future products.

+2 ;)

Even if it's quite premature, at the moment LoG will have my GotY vote.

I don't get the complaints about the puzzles. In a DM-styled dungeon crawler, the puzzles have always (IIRC) been of this variety, with switches, pits, pressure plates, teleporters, puzzle alcoves, etc. Nothing more, nothing less. Your asking for something more/different is like going to a pizzeria, ordering a delicious pizza, eating it and then complaining you would've wanted cake instead (or better yet, have the pizza turn into a cake half-way through). C'mon, guys! This is an unabashed DM clone, not an adventure game (with elaborate puzzle mechanics), not a Wizardry clone (with turn-based combat), not a Biowarian dating simulator (with NPCs to romance and talk to). And most of all, this is not a big company, multi-million dollar project, but a first game from a small indie outfit and you want it to the be-all and end-all of dungeon crawlers. Sheesh, you're a hard crowd to please.

I'm just glad we got a game for a genre that has lain fallow for 15+ years and it does not suck, but honors its ancestors in a magnificent way and plays very well. Eagerly awaiting what lies in the future of Grimrock and Almost Human. More plz!

Your asking for something more/different is like going to a pizzeria, ordering a delicious pizza, eating it and then complaining you would've wanted cake instead (or better yet, have the pizza turn into a cake half-way through). C'mon, guys!

It's ok to be a fan of the game, but try not to impose your opinion on others as some kind of objective truth.

There are dozens of these games, and they all have very different approaches to puzzles. Some don't even have them, like Captive.

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of riddles and exploration than a constant bombardment of timed brain teasers. I never played any of these games because I wanted to play a puzzle game.

However, if you enjoy it - I think that's great. There's no denying the game is of a high quality for an indie - regardless of my distaste for the handling of puzzles. I don't want it to be perfect in any way. Well, obviously we all want that - but I'd be just fine with fewer puzzles.

I'd say replace 25% of the puzzles with riddles - and replace 25% with exploration/story exposition (like the notes you find). THAT would be fantastic, but that's just my opinion.

As for games with a better balance, look to Black Crypt. It's my favorite in the genre. Lands of a Lore is another great example of a game with puzzles and riddles, but with the emphasis on story/exploration and combat.

It's ok to be a fan of the game, but try not to impose your opinion on others as some kind of objective truth.
No, I'm not trying to impose my opinion as an objective truth. I'm just offering a differing opinion to counter-balance the more negative ones. Also, I'm not targetting any poster here personally, nor trying to start a pissing contest, just giving my subjective opinion. Apologies if it reads otherwise, not my intention at all.

No, I'm not trying to impose my opinion as an objective truth. I'm just offering a differing opinion to counter-balance the more negative ones. Also, I'm not targetting any poster here personally, nor trying to start a pissing contest, just giving my subjective opinion. Apologies if it reads otherwise, not my intention at all.

Actually, I'd say my overall opinion is positive. I don't have to personally enjoy the puzzles to recognise that the game is very strong for what it is.

So, if you think pointing out a subjective distaste for so many puzzles is a "negative opinion" of the game - you're wrong.

Also, even if the opinion WAS negative - it would be the minority opinion around here, so I'm not sure much effort is needed to attain "balance".

But, no worries.

It just bothers me a little that people let their enthusiasm for a new title cloud the fact that nothing is perfect, and valid criticism exists for every game in existence.

As for the puzzles and the amount of them, it's apparently something many of you enjoy a lot. I think that's great. Maybe that means they shouldn't change anything about that for their next title. But I think it's important to let it be known that we don't all enjoy so many puzzles.

I'd say replace 25% of the puzzles with riddles - and replace 25% with exploration/story exposition (like the notes you find). THAT would be fantastic, but that's just my opinion.
I don't miss story or exposition at all. LoG is a pure gaming experience and I think the reason it's so popular is simply that they set out to make a game.

Bioware on Dragon Age 4: I want to tell a really great story.

Legend of Grimrock: I want to make a really great game.

It's all about the gameplay, and nothing else.

So, you don't think of Black Crypt and Lands of Lore as games? Strange.

Is that trolling D'Artagnan? :)

I even think DA4 will be a game, of sorts. But I do prefer games where gameplay is the number one priority, which it very clearly is for LoG. If I want story to be the priority, I'll watch a movie.

Is that trolling D'Artagnan? :)

I even think DA4 will be a game, of sorts. But I do prefer games where gameplay is the number one priority, which it very clearly is for LoG. If I want story to be the priority, I'll watch a movie.

No, it's my way of pointing out that I'm not asking for a story driven game - but gameplay that isn't saturated with samey puzzles. The two games in question are excellent examples of how it can be done well, in this specific genre.

Actually, I'm not really asking for it - I'm just pointing out that I don't like so many such puzzles.

Replacing some of them with story exposition is just a suggestion of what would work better, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom