Might & Magic X - Preview @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Since many of you enjoyed the last RPG Codex preview of Might & Magic X here is the continuation posted today.

The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same

Oh, you want a final verdict? Alright, here's one: MMXL is actually a Might & Magic game. Limbic and Ubisoft made no presumptions here. They asked the fans what they wanted, and then they used the hallowed titles of the series as a blueprint. After a decade of wandering in the wilderness of sordid action games masquerading as roleplaying games, of suffering through people citing Oblivion as "one of the old-school greats", Might & Magic is back as something other than a strategy game. And it's genuine. Whatever its flaws, no matter how many bugs get stomped between now and release, MMXL will sink or swim based on the answer to one terrible question: do enough people still want to play this genre?

I fear the answer to that question, even as I hope it's a resounding 'YES!'.

Broseph: I can already smell the burning of torches and hear the sharpening of pitchforks over our overly positive assessment of this game. In all seriousness, MMXL has everything it needs to be the next great title in the series. A few design decisions grind my gears, there are a lot of bugs yet to be fixed, and the game suffers from a slowness which plagues a lot of turn-based RPGs. In spite of these flaws, MMXL could end up being the best game in the series yet(!). I can only hope that the late game content ends up being as entertaining and well-designed as what's been presented so far in Acts I and II.

Zeriel: Whoa there, cowboy! I don't think MMXL quite manages to rival Xeen, several decades of technological advantages notwithstanding. We shouldn't expect it to, anyway. This is an entirely different team. That it'll come close to matching Xeen would be enough of a miracle for me.​
More information.

Interesting, sounds like it'll be a decent game, would prefer the non combat skills in the game though.

Daniel.

question is will it be ok to play on 25 january? from i heard its not near to complete

RPG Codex? More like UbisoftDex. ;)

I think to some extent we're reacting to the relentless negativity that certain Might & Magic fans are showing towards this game. Contrarianism can be both positive and negative.

I already preordered the MM X - full boxed collectors version some month ago.

Maybe sometime before I die I'll even see the making of Wizardry 9 and Ultima 10!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom