Rampant Games - Impressions from Age of Decadence

aries100

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson writes about his time with the demo for Age of Decadence, the game made by Iron Tower Studios. A quote about the branching of the quest:
The branching nature of these quests and events is definitely interesting, leading to some cool replayable options. But there are always limitations. One downside of the branching dialog is that the game sometimes assumes a behavior on the part of your character that doesn’t match your intention. Some of this could be prevented by giving your character more limited dialog – not putting words in his or her mouth – but that makes for less compelling dialog. The branching events also mean that as a player, I tend to consume quests pretty quickly. With a couple of failures and some dumb purchase decisions, I soon found myself kind of stymied in one play-through, where the only remaining quests on my list either demanded money I didn’t have, or seemed to not yet be implemented. It’s tough to tell, as the game gives you few hints on some of the later quests as to where to go.
More information.

I really liked the demo, although I agree some of the dialogue options need to be more clear about the consequences. There was also at least one playthrough where I got stuck because I could no longer progress due to insufficient stats or resources.

Imo, they need to make combat just a tiny bit more forgiving and try to make the environment more interactive. It's a definite purchase for me though.. if it ever gets released. :)

I thought it was coming in a bundle sale on Steam with Grimoire and Dungeon Lords 2 :D

Jay makes a ton of small factual errors [stat points are based on Class, you don't get Skill points for kills] in this article.

Actually, I have to say this is about the least accurate/thorough review of the demo I've read anywhere. I usually really like Jay's stuff, but I think in this case he really had to spend more time with the demo (he says combat options are limited to bashing on each other?!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom