Is Fable like Gothic?

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
I was overwhelmed with games earlier this year and had to be selective. One game that I skipped in hope it would not haunt me later was Fable.

Now I am almost completely drained of games to play and I checked back to see if there was something that I had missed, and then I read a review on Fable. What I read reminded me alot about the "free roaming" aspect of Gothic.

I wanted to ask if there are similarities between the two and ofcourse if Fable is a decent game. I am more for the storyline/exploration than I am for fighting and statbuilding.

Fable is a decent game by any means (that is, in my opinion :) ). But it's not like Gothic at all... apart from the perspective. There is no freedom of roaming. Well, there actually is, but it's just good for XP ; basically, there are no substantial - or even remotely interesting - quests to be found when roaming. The story in itself is linear; the game is fun, but don't expect a long or difficult game. What I liked best was the fact that looks were defined by attributes and behavior.

Fable is nothing like the Gothic games. There is no roleplaying at all, aside from choosing your hairstyle and whether you want to be nice or naughty; it's an action game you'll finish in about 15 hours. Very linear, like Jaz said, and with practically no replay value.

Eww. Ok, I guess I save it for later then. :(

Not at all, Gothic is Gritty Realism and Fable is Fairy Taleish, none the less its worth playing especially since you are just now considering playing it and if you didn't buy into all the hype and expect the greatest RPG evar! ;)

Falbe is a good enough game to play, especially if you have nothing to play atm.
I thought there were some inovative quest and new features in gameplay.
Slight spoiler your actions of good and evil define your looks and how others treat you which range from Holy to Evil.
Your age is also shown through out the game as an effect, as with your nature.

You can buy and upgrade a house in every town, think there are 5 or 6 towns, been awhile.

Some fall down funny quests, look out for a guy in the first town (not in the tutorial) whom wants a Hero to meet his daughter. :p

Art style is very unique ( at least to me it was), though most of the game is console centric.
So you might have to find these 50 of these special chest throughout the game, special coins or solve riddles at 20 different doors to access special items.

Another very funny aspect is the Hero Titles you can buy which like most everything else is commented on by Townfolk.

Think of it as a comedy RPG if there is a such thing and its much easier to enjoy, if your not taking it too seriously. :)

The sex 'scenes' were also very funny :lol:. And the fact that you could fart and belch (the ladies and/or gents were not amused). And the book 'The Trigamist'... heaps of fun, but not for the weak-hearted!

Acleacius has it right. The Gothic series is gritty realism (realism being subjective, ofcourse lol), while Fable has very much a fairytale feel to it.
Fable was cute in a WoW sort of way, but it gets old imo. I haven't played Gothic 3 yet, but Gothic 1 and 2 felt much deeper and open-ended than Fable. I would liken the feel of the Gothic series as similar to Call of Cthulu (A great gothic horror-themed CRPG. Grab it if you see it floating around in the bargain bin.).

Yeah Fable TLC should be very reasonably priced at this point and worth playing if you enjoy humor, if its $30 or under and your not playing anything else it would be woth it to pickup it up for some good laughs, JemyM. ;)

Fable took me ~15 hours for everything including TLC - and by playing evil I finished *everything* the game had to offer in ~25 hours total. It is a fun game, not very deep, and very, very short. Crap, I think I spent more time being lost in the midlands of Gothic 3 than I spent in my first run of Fable ;)

I would liken the feel of the Gothic series as similar to Call of Cthulu (A great gothic horror-themed CRPG. Grab it if you see it floating around in the bargain bin.).

Call of Cthulu is a linear action adventure with first person perspective. I wouldn't compare it with any of the Gothics which are involving nonlinear CRPGs best played from a third person view.

It's a decent game to play through a couple of times, there are some interesting ideas there, for instance how people react to you if you're good or evil. If you have the time to play it, I'd give it a go. I would definetly take TQ over Fable though, if those are your options at the moment (considering your two recent threads here).

I personally enjoyed Fable a lot. I remember trying to get as evil as possible, but after most people just kept running away and guards were always giving me a hard time I had this urge to start again and become a respectable citizen :)
Definitly a very fun game in a comic kinda way, but don't expect it to keep you motivated for more than a few days.

Gothic is a men's world. There are very few women.

I haven't played Fable, but I guess you could at least play as a female char, right ?

Lol, no you only play as guy, though if your into it I heard you can marry a guy <eeeuu>. :)

I hear in F2 you are a play as a girl and sure hope thare is more freedom with the Hair Cuts as that was some funny stuff but I guess the Beads and Mustaches are out for F2. :p

Yep, you can! I married a man here, a woman there, and so on, until I had a spouse in every town on the map. And you can marry even more often if you have the guts to marry the Mayoress of Bowerstone (in which case you can have two spouses in this town). And filing for divorce is the quickest way to become evil: you need to beat up your spouse to succeed. And quite often at that. I wore a halo of flies pretty quickly in my evil game... but I hated what the horns did to my hair.

I always marry her! How can I refuse? Wealth and power, yes indeed, wealth and power.

Suckers! :p

Fable was not enjoyable to me. It felt very much geared towards a younger audience (for example, being taunted with "chicken chaser" for much of the early game brought me back to junior high school memories...but I digress!") and that hurt the immersion/fun for me.

Much worse than that was the missions where you couldn't save your progress and with some missions taking 30-45+ minutes that meant a lot of stress for me (not knowing if I actually had that time to set aside) plus if I died in the mission (especially in the boss at the end) I had to replay the whole mission and that was extremely not fun.

All that said it wasn't terrible at all but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Gothic II (I didn't play I and haven't yet purchased III) was enjoyable, it had its negatives but the positives outweighed the negatives for me. I don't compare it to Fable in any real way other than being rpg's.

Ewww... Fable have no quicksave. :(

Well, that does it. No Fable for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom