Divinity 2 - Video Footage on Belgian TV

That´s a short, sad story. A CDV big shot had the idea, thought it´s brilliant and insisted on it. (At least that what I heard.)

That's what I've heard, too.

Rumor says it was the head of CDV himself.

Around the same time CDV had another, very successful strategy game with the name "Sudden Strike", which seems to me to come from the same "source".

That´s a short, sad story. A CDV big shot had the idea, thought it´s brilliant and insisted on it. (At least that what I heard.)

CDV?

My daughter really liked this game (except the broken ending) and we always wondered if the name was a "literal" translation of something that just didn't come out right.

I heard the original title was supposed to be "Sword of Lies" or maybe, Divinity: Sword of Lies--Alrik and others have amplified on this in the past but my memory is vague on how exact that is. It was definitely along those lines-- too bad they didn't go with that title or one similar as i think it would have helped their English language sales and image.

This is true. The game was originally called "Divinity: The Sword of Lies". The publisher then changed it to "Divine Divinity". Then "Riftrunner" was changed to "Beyond Divinity", since apparently they hadn't learned their lesson.

This is a bit of a weird move for Larian to not even give their fans a heads up. They are usually excellent about that kind of stuff.

From one of the artists on the Larian forum:
Madawg said:
Sorry for that but they filmed that on Friday afternoon and it was already on air in the evening. I think nobody knew (except Swen I guess) they were coming before we saw the camera...

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much. Sure, there has been a dearth of information, but I'm happy there are news about the game and it looks in good shape.

The publisher. Like EA - too much influence on things that matter. ;)

Last edited:
This is true. The game was originally called "Divinity: The Sword of Lies". The publisher then changed it to "Divine Divinity". Then "Riftrunner" was changed to "Beyond Divinity", since apparently they hadn't learned their lesson.

The name "Beyond Divinity" has nothing to do with CDV, the German publisher.

This name change from "Riftrunner" has a different story, rumor says (search for "Rifts" in your favourite search engine to get a possible clue).

Hey, don't rail against CDV, they published "Commander Keen" (at least in Germany).

I have it, too ! ;) :)

CDV was once a big Shareware publishing company.

A bitter remark I once read is that CDV still is it today - hence the behaviour towards Divinity 1.

Edit: You can read a background story on the development of Divinity 1 I once compiled here.

2nd Edit: Stories from early development

Last edited:
Yes, that's the Arcivist and the Archaeologist inside of me. ;)

Love you guys!!

It's so nice to see you all so excited about this game!! Your interest in the game really inspires me to enhance the game experience to something you've never seen before!

PS

I'm not chubby!

Some info on the video from the boss, quoted from a thread over at the larian forums.

Lar said:
Hi all,

It's good to see there's still so many people following what we're doing. I didn't expect you to react so strongly to the little tid-bit that was shown in the show, so maybe some clarification about what happened can help.

In Belgium, there's a debate going on about the government helping out game developers. Being one of the larger studios in Belgium, we were given the opportunity to give our thoughts on the matter. To be fair, we didn't expect so much game footage to be used on TV (it was recorded in the afternoon,broadcast in the evening and we only knew about it in the morning, so it took us all a bit by surprise).

We allowed the camera crew to take some development footage to underline to our local politicians that there are studios, in Belgium, who are seriously busy with games. Our goal is to have them do something about the unfair competition caused by other governments granting large subsidies in neighbouring countries. That's all there is to it.

It definitely wasn't the intention to release information about the game, for that it's still too soon. Not that I wouldn't want to talk about it, but there'll be plenty of opportunity to do so in the not so distant future.

There's a variety of reasons on why it would be counter-productive for the success and quality of our game to announce things prematurely, and I hope you can understand that. Some of these were already mentioned in this thread and are very valid.

But, we are fully in production, working towards a target, and if all goes well, it shouldn't take that long (heard that before ? ) before we can finally share with you the details of this thing we're trying to make.

The shots you saw were by the way work in progress, just in case you were wondering.

Lar

Thanks Arhu, I REALLY need to get back to visiting the Larian forums again; I used to be regular!!

Hmm, I've only seen this today but I'm a bit "iffy" on the change of gameplay... I absolutely love the preceding games so I just hope that this won't dishearten me from future releases as seeing it now, it just looks like a generic game... I hope I'm proved wrong and I hope Kiril is still doing the soundtrack! His music is class.

Do they say anything about whether Kirill will once again be doing the music? I sure hope so ...

Um ... don't remember ...

By the way, the video just stopped in the last part. It just refused to go on, and then I quit it.

But I've now seen most of it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom