Looking for an RPG with Huge Dungeons

Yeah, I was playing daggerfall awhile back in dosbox and I found that site...it looked great. However, even with updating it to run on modern machines and look a little better I think it needs some tender loving care to modernize it a bit. But overall, it still has a fun feel.

I can almost pee myself laughing that after all these recommendations you ended up playing Dungeon Lords!. Too bad Mike isn't around anymore to defend his glowing review LOL

You know what dungeon lords was cool...for what worked which wasn't much. So much potential that just never materialized.

Ha ha wait until he hits Fargrove and realizes just how ridiculously uncool the game is!

I don't think there is a "they". Afaik, it's basically just one guy doing everything by himself.

Indeed, and he's actually quite productive when he sits down and goes to work. DarkXL is pretty damn close to finished.

Want a really HUGE dungeon? Pool of Radiance 2. There are a few of us here the played and finished it. Myself and Thrasher is one and I believe mute got pretty far. Its pretty epic, don't listen to the haters ;)

I wonder why you think to be alone to have played it. The one I didn't finished is PoR3 but I finished the 1 (for me the best) and the 2. That was the Mac version so some time after their PC release but still a long time ago. I doubt I could play them now, anyway in no way I feel I can play a RPG where I have to do hand map making.

I repeat : Stonekeep.

But that has no connection to the upper world; instead it is nothing but a giant dungeon in itself - although you can trade there, too (with some inhabitants; not with all, though).

Zork! It has an overworld and goes plenty deep. And it's first person, too! Oh wait… "You take the leaflet"… I guess that's speaking in second person, isn't it? Rats. Well, maybe there's a mod? ;)

I need to get that claustrophobic feeling of being way underground
You know, that's really something that has been missing from these games. The dungeons are always big things with wide corridors suitable for combat in full plate armor with two handed swords and even longbows. I can't think of any where you're squeezing through cracks and praying you don't run into a pocket of dead air.

Some great recommendations already made - but it never hurts to add a couple more:

Secret of the Silver Blades. Of all the AD&D goldies, I always felt this game had the biggest dungeons. The snow section in particular was a lengthy test for my party's endurance I remember.

Mid Period SSI AD&D games - Stone Prophet (this has some large dungeons and much exploring to be had in an ancient desert environment), Strahd's Posession (Ravenloft) and Menzoberranzen (Forgotten Realms).

Well if your looking for a dungeon crawler and are not to concerned about to much story, then check out "Darkstone" it's pretty much Diablo in 3D. It's older and the graphics are bit dated but it's a fun romp.

I repeat : Stonekeep.

But that has no connection to the upper world; instead it is nothing but a giant dungeon in itself - although you can trade there, too (with some inhabitants; not with all, though).
Then Avernum, it's all and only dungeon and rather gigantic. :biggrin: Well ok caverns and dungeons isn't the same. Ultima Undeworld is also underworld but not fully dungeon.

Mentioned already but it sounds like you want Arx Fatalis.

And although not a first person or 3D game, Divine Divinity had some pretty large dungeons, very dark and atmospheric with tons of combat. A great RPG overall and not the "Diablo clone" some insist on calling it.

Just keep playing Phantasy Star 1 (and 4) again and again, that's what I do. ;)

zombie.gif

I actually replayed Phantasy Star just last year. :)

I no longer have a SMS, so I played it on an emulator. I wish that Playstation 2 remake had received an English translation.

I'm not a big fan of PSII though, and even less of a fan of PSIII. Those games were basically just one big grind, and the characters were very forgettable. PSII did have a great ending though…

I was also disappointed in how the later games abandoned the first-person view in dungeons in favor of an isometric view.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom