Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition - Review Roundup # 1

aries100

SasqWatch
Several websites have reviews for his game. I'll quote from two of them and list the rest.
Metro has a review 8/10. A quote about how you start the game:
You exist in a land where the bad guys have already won - society is in terminal decline and everyone is turning into undead 'hollows'. That's how you start the game, but some trick of fate allows you to keep your human mind. You can even transform back into a person by obtaining 'humanity' from dead enemies - although it's a rare commodity and, as you may have heard, dying is a very frequent occurrence in Dark Souls.
Inc Gamers has a review as well 10/10. A quote about how
Dark Souls is a game that pokes at our soft, flabby bellies and laughs at the way other titles have babied us with cheap gimmicks and easy rewards. It’s a game whose mechanics are the perfect reflection of its bleak, desolate world. You will suffer, you will learn and you will feel triumph after elated triumph when you succeed. The subversion of traditional RPG thinking (levelling up is nothing compared to good equipment, and skill trumps all), tremendous physicality of its combat and clever integration of co-op play are just a few highlights from a truly outstanding title.

Review at Cheat Code Central 4/5

Atomic Gamer's Review 7/10

More information.

Jesus Chris, that Atomic Gamer's review is crap (and no, I'm not referring just to the average score, I'm specifically looking at what he wrote).

How exactly you think it was crap? I read it as honest an truthful. He made it to point out many good things about the game but also said it was not for him (reviews are always subjective), then pointed out how utterly crap the port is.

How exactly you think it was crap?
I´d say it´s crap because it´s very sparse on info about the game.
The author just goes on and on about the porting issues and how difficult the game is, but there´s no mention of stuff like art direction, combat system, itemization or level design (which I think are all superb).

How exactly you think it was crap? I read it as honest an truthful. He made it to point out many good things about the game but also said it was not for him (reviews are always subjective), then pointed out how utterly crap the port is.
Well, for a start because he reviewed a game that apparently he didn't even bother to finish.
He also made a lot of *false* statements, like saying that the game is based on very frequent "gotcha-moments" that kill you unfairly and one-hit kills, which couldn't be more far from the truth.
Then he went talking about how the game, cause of these very (false) reasons he gave us, is not for him, which I have no idea why we should care.

In all this, he also forgot to offer some actually useful information about what kind of game it is, the mood, the setting, the mechanics. IF that wasn't enough, he also namedropped features that he didn't explained, taking (wrongly) from granted that everyone already knew what he was talking about.

Overall, it's a damn poor and unprofessional review.

Back
Top Bottom