Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

I was already playing RPGs for about 10 years before Morrowind, and I was still blown away by it. Stepping off the boat in Seyda Neen for the first time was an incredible experience, even if I was only seeing it at 10-12 frames per second on my Geforce 3. :lol:

And yes… some of those "seasoned" RPG players can be grumpy old farts at times.

x2 !!! (to both comments!. Only my Radeon 9800Pro was doing a little better, like 16 - 18 fps, lol).

I was a member of Beth's forums right when Morrowind came out but I stopped posting there years ago - too many kids post there (yeah, I'm a grumpy old gamer! hehe).

I'm not saying apply Radiant AI exactly as it was in Oblivion - I agree having important quest characters travelling all over the place is bad. Just have it apply to non-quest NPCs and write your quests/scripts intelligently.

And Cassius was not hard to find at all.

IMO they listened to gamers TOO MUCH and made the game much too simple. It's more like a "My First RPG" type of game where EVERYTHING is spelled out for you and it doesn't matter if you never played an RPG before.

Skill system was over simplified, you could join EVERY faction with no repercussions or penalties (I hear you could become head of the mages guild without even casting a spell!), the messed up level scaling (I mean Arena Champion at level 2?) and loot scaling (made searching dungeons pointless).

Don't get me wrong, I knock Oblivion a lot (and Fallout 3) BUT I think as an adventure/RPG-Lite console game, Oblivion is pretty good. Easy to get into, fun in short spurts, combat heavy/dialogue-light. It really does feel like Grand Theft Auto - big open world with a lot of low-depth yet fun distractions.

But as a PC RPG, especially one with a more hardcore lineage, it just fails miserably.

I too believe that OB was a fun game but because of it's nature it couldn't be done any better, spoken dialogues consumed like half the dvd , radiant AI required a compass and immortal NPCs etc , kids loved it , console gamers too plus it turned many new gamers into Morrowind (although they are still complaining about *finding Cassius is too hard* ) , it also brought Beth loads of money .
I have not play Fallout , i am only interested in bows not guns :)

I can't believe 7-8 years already passed since the release of Morrowind… still remember flamming Bethesda on the CTD bug when the in-game character first time existing the boat. The post probably still in rpgdot forums somewhere.

I can't believe 7-8 years already passed since the release of Morrowind… still remember flamming Bethesda on the CTD bug when the in-game character first time existing the boat. The post probably still in rpgdot forums somewhere.

I remember reading how buggy the game was but I played it for many months without encountering a single bug or crash. Oblivion on the other hand has given me several CTDs and Fallout3 has frozen on me a few times.

I don't recall running into any bugs in Morrowind. My only issue was the insane system requirements needed to run it with all the graphic options on.

yeah, it was a system-killer for me too.

Yep, good thing for that one program that let you adjust the draw system on the fly with the mouse wheel, made the game really playable.

Even today with a much better machine/video card than I had in 2002 the game is pretty slow in Balmora without any "fog".

Back
Top Bottom