The UK is crumbling

Paki was a genuinely (vaguely) neutral term once. It's like negro used to be the polite term for black in the USA, but now it's frowned upon. But not quite the same. It wasn't that emotive anyway. Look at British 70's TV. I wouldn't get excited about it. It's like calling an Irishman "Paddy": so boring and lazy it's barely abuse.

And even as an Irishman, and thus a member of the only sole remaining ethic group it's politically correct to take the piss out off in the US, I find PC incredibly tedious. Oh look, it's an Irish themed episode of [insert show name here] and we're all portrayed as violent drunks. Again. And Again. It's a good job I've never met a US TV executive as I'd probably just beat him up and loot his mini bar.

Anyway, Scots independence. That's an oxymoron. Protestant heretics. The Scot's are England's bitch and always will be. The best that can be said for the Scots is that they're not English. You suck Scotland. Let's get drunk and fight.

Paki was a genuinely (vaguely) neutral term once. It's like negro used to be the polite term for black in the USA, but now it's frowned upon. But not quite the same. It wasn't that emotive anyway. Look at British 70's TV. I wouldn't get excited about it. It's like calling an Irishman "Paddy": so boring and lazy it's barely abuse.

And even as an Irishman, and thus a member of the only sole remaining ethic group it's politically correct to take the piss out off in the US, I find PC incredibly tedious. Oh look, it's an Irish themed episode of [insert show name here] and we're all portrayed as violent drunks. Again. And Again. It's a good job I've never met a US TV executive as I'd probably just beat him up and loot his mini bar.

Anyway, Scots independence. That's an oxymoron you tartan protestant heretics. You're England's bitch and always will be. And the only positive thing than can be said for any Scot is that they're not English. And the only decent thing any true son of Ireland or Britain can do is kill each other while the EU steals all our shit.

And even as an Irishman, and thus a member of the only sole remaining ethic group it's politically correct to take the piss out off in the US, I find PC incredibly tedious.

You mean you really wouldn't smack an asshole who would call you "Paddy" to your face and with intent?

Errrr you know that you can delete unwanted post NZ?

I lived in the UK for a year. If I hit everyone who called me Paddy I be severing quite a long time in prison at her majesty's pleasure. The point is these terms like Paki or Paddy are trivial. Some of the best friends I ever made were in England. The extreme everyone-has-to-be-friends anti (but utterly obsessed with it beyond nazi levels) racism is an American import.

People can call me whatever they like, but if they expect me to care - they should probably back it up with some kind of sensible reasoning.

As long as they don't invade my personal space or that of someone I'm protecting - they'll be quite safe.

Racism is about ignorance - and being ignorant is universal. So, the only way to react is to educate if there's any hope of the message being received - or simply not responding.

I lived in the UK for a year. If I hit everyone who called me Paddy I be severing quite a long time in prison at her majesty's pleasure. The point is these terms like Paki or Paddy are trivial. Some of the best friends I ever made were in England. The extreme everyone-has-to-be-friends anti (but utterly obsessed with it beyond nazi levels) racism is an American import.

And I have lived in London for 27 years and some of my best friends were Irish. I have to tell you that I don't recall that Irish suffered abuse except low level comedian/Hollywood generalization crap. And while "everyone-has-to-be-friends" attitude is pure wishful thinking, there is a lot of middle ground between that and calling somebody "Paki".

I have to tell you that I don't recall that Irish suffered abuse except low level comedian/Hollywood generalization crap.
You don't have to tell me anything as I had to listen to that "low level" shit for a year. Not that I wouldn't have done the same myself under different circumstances. It's traditional.

You don't have to tell me anything as I had to listen to that "low level" shit for a year. Not that I wouldn't have done the same myself under different circumstances. It's traditional.
It is traditional and almost democratic :) English stereotype Irish, Scots, Welsh, German, French etc, etc, etc and vice versa. And clinically PC Americans have their Polack jokes.

Well, I feel offended!! There's nothing there about Aussies!!!! :D

Wellll, it's funny actually… Ausies usually get an easy ride in UK and the worst English managed to come up with is "convict" which is actually a point of pride to an Aussie. Some try to call them "diggers" without realizing where this term originates from.

I like how morons on this page (well, just one moron, but big enough for a bunch) keep trolling themselves centuries after I stopped posting in it. Perhaps I really am a trollmaster. Perhaps the best troll is one who seeks not to troll, but to merely post a reasonable, non-offensive post, based on their independent experience and opinion. Perhaps anyone who isn't a moron is a troll. We may never know.

I like how morons on this page (well, just one moron, but big enough for a bunch) keep trolling themselves centuries after I stopped posting in it. Perhaps I really am a trollmaster. Perhaps the best troll is one who seeks not to troll, but to merely post a reasonable, non-offensive post, based on their independent experience and opinion. Perhaps anyone who isn't a moron is a troll. We may never know.

The only reason we put up with you is your avatar picture.

Back
Top Bottom