Game Informer - The Best BioWare Characters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Game Informer has a new opinion article about the Best BioWare Characters.

With our Dragon Age: Inquisition coverage in full swing, the time is ripe to celebrate the best BioWare characters. BioWare has provided us with many extraordinary party members over the years that making a list was no easy task. After debating internally and with my fellow staff members, it was decided that certain characters simply had to make the cut. Cast members are memorable for different reasons, whether we love them for their sarcasm, development, or merely because they're different from the standard video game archetype. For this list, I have some of the obvious choices and some neglected standouts.
More information.

Other than Minsc and Alistair (Yes, whiny Alistair) I never really cared for anyone in a Bioware game. They were mostly good, sure, but not truly stand out good. If you want real CRPG standouts, look at Forgrimm from the Drakensang games, or Harold from Fallout 1/2, or Diego from Gothic, or just about *anyone* from Anachronox.

You're not fair. Anachronox had abnormally awsome both playable and nonplayable characters. "Heroes", "villans" and those in between (grandpa who "if falls down, I get all his mystech") were all too good to be true.
Since it's unbeatable even by Drakensang, FO1/2 and Gothic, don't expect Bioware to make Anoxcharacters "killer".

But there were some Bioware characters that were made more than okay. Who didn't have a crush on Vicky (BG2) for example? And who wouldn't want to play another game with Garrus (ME series)?

But there were some Bioware characters that were made more than okay. Who didn't have a crush on Vicky (BG2) for example? And who wouldn't want to play another game with Garrus (ME series)?

Amen joxer :)

Tomi Undergallows was popular they hired another voice actor to replace him.

Deekin was cool too.

I think one of the key signs of Bioware's cluelessness is when they actually started defending Caspinar.

Minsc - the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be. HK-47 was great, too. Shale was pretty good, I'll give it third place. I don't remember anyone from the Neverwinter series...

Varric did have some great moments. The bit where he was telling the story about meeting his brother in DA2 was great stuff.

Varric did have some great moments. The bit where he was telling the story about meeting his brother in DA2 was great stuff.

By far the best part of the game. Hilarious!

I cared for practically everyone in BG2 except Mazzy and Cernd. Other that BG2, I did get really fond of Garrus. I wouldn't say Bioware is bad at character writing. I suppose that is necessary though as their games are always require/encourages you to carry x number of companions :)

I think one of the key signs of Bioware's cluelessness is when they actually started defending Caspinar.

Caspinar?? Cespinar the imp in BG2?? If you are talking about Cespinar the Imp, I found him absolutely cute and hilarious :p

Minsc - the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Overrated, but yes, funny - although I much prefer the hyper-megalomaniac hijinks of Edwin. Minsc always kind of rubbed me the wrong way in my first BG playthrough, since he turns on the party if you don't go do his Dynaheir quest fast enough. ;)

And as for Viconia, I was more of a Branwen fan personally (it's the Teutonic/shield maidenesque blonde thing) and kind of liked the sultry smoothness of Safana's voice and character too.

@ Purple_Blob. I'm with you on Cespenar. I don't get Lucky Day's point at all. He's kind of like the AD&D version of Orko from He-Man. "Why bastard sword you think, no parent?" :p

P.S:
Morte was a Black Isle character; not a Bioware one. *finger shake*.

I liked Xan in the first Baldur's Gate. "Our quest is doomed". Pessimistic party members are too few and far between in games, I think.

I also liked Mazzy in the second Baldur's Gate. Really wanted to help her become a paladin, and was actually a bit surprised/disappointed that she couldn't reach her goal within the game.

The more fleshed out characters in later games are hampered by not leaving enough room for the player's imagination, I think. Xan only had a few lines and didn't play a big part in the story, but I kept him in my party along with the ever optimistic Garrick, becaused I could imagine their banter. Made the party less than optimal in battle, but that's role-playing.

P.S:
Morte was a Black Isle character; not a Bioware one. *finger shake*.

Sure … but once you start listing good characters, it's kinda hard to keep focused on one studio. ;) As proven in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom