RPGWatch Feature: Nethergate Resurrection Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We delve into Spiderweb's Nethergate remake and discover a fascinating world worth exploring. Here's a snip from the review:
The second major drawcard for Nethergate is the two separate campaigns – and this has a big impact on the game in a number of ways. Unlike many CRPGs that might offer “paths” through the main quest that really just hinge on a handful of different dialogue choices, Nethergate is split into two completely different (but intertwined) campaigns that together tell the story from two different perspectives. The two sides have different starting points, different quests, a different (though related) story and an emphasis on different character skills.
Read it all here.

More information.

I don't have a lot to add except 'yeah, I agree;.

I hadn't played the original, and had a difficult time adapting to the old-style movement and controls.

I only played the demo and had my frustrations with it, for the reasons Dhruin pointed out--controls and in my case visibility and map issues--but I think he's correctly identified the strong points; the storyline is solid, fresh and sometimes humorous and the exploration is well-done. Encounters are varied and there's always something to surprise you.

It's too bad we can't get games like this from companies that can up the physical mechanics to a more modern level. If this had a less frustrating interface, better character models and the ability to see the map action at a realistic magnification, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. For those who don't find stuff like this off-putting, it's a great game as it is.

I'm hoping Basilisk Games will bring something to the scene. I hear they plan for party based in the Eschalon II.

The graphics in the Spiderweb games are a huge turn-off for me. Couple this with the general view that the interface is just as bad and I'm just not going ot buy these games. The game just looks ugly. I'm not a graphics whore, but when something is plain ugly, I don't want to play it. The original Neverwinter Nights was the same after I was used to the beautiful IE games. I don't accept thtt because they're indie they can't do decent graphics and interface. AoD looks like a very nice looking, and very playable game.

I'd rather play some NWN2 mods for free than this, there are some pretty good ones surfacing now.

That's your prerogative and that's fair enough. A couple of points I will make, though.

First, in my opinion there isn't a single NWN2 module that even comes close to the content in this (or many other Spiderweb games, for that matter). Not a single one has the sheer content, none of them are as interesting to explore and few, if any, have a story as good with two entirely separate campaigns.

As for not accepting indie games can't do decent graphics - that's fine. I'll wait here while you compile me a list of complete indie CRPGs with 60-80 hours of quality content that I can play right now - preferably rock stable and bug free like Nethergate. There are a couple you might list, but isn't many and they all have their own significant flaws.

I'm a huge fan of AoD -- but it isn't out, none of us know how good it really is (or isn't) and we don't know if their model is financially viable.

If VD reads this, he'll agree. Spiderweb has proven their model works for over 10 years. That isn't to say AoD or Eschalon or TBH may not come along and prove it can be done better but only time will tell.

Nethergate isn't the best example (and Jeff knows that - it was a cheap conversion) but, honestly, Geneforge 4 has a perfectly fine interface and the graphics simply aren't that bad. You're missing out on some great content if you can't see past the graphics.

I prefer the "British" cultural crash over typical North American comic-style fantasy setting but is it so difficult for the independent companies to hire decent 2D graphic designers? Content may be different but the art-design reminds me of comic books...

Thanks for a thorough review, Dhruin. It has reinforced my decision to buy the game. I enjoyed the demo, despite its retro-tech design. I don't want indies to stay at this level of technology, but at the same time, I can still appreciate this for its story and its setting. And if nothing else, Spiderweb, as Dhruin pointed out, is one of the few proofs that indie design can work.

The graphics aren't a real problem, but the interface is. The whole "press something then choose a, b, c..." system is terribly outdated; Geneforge 4, using the same graphics even, feels and plays much better because of the less clunky interface.

I prefer the interface

I very much prefer this interface to his newer games. I find with Spiderweb's older, press something then a, b, c... I can comfortably play these games lounging around with my laptop. With his newer (e.g. more modern) point and click interfaces I find my wrist getting cramped, among other things. I personally find the Geneforge story more compelling but I simply don't like the interface. I nearly cried when A4 pulled much of it's interface elements from Geneforge. A5 was better bring back much of the keyboard control but generally I find the A1-3 and Nethergate controls fit my play style better. I suspect I'm in the minority on this.

I also was not big on V.A.T.S. in Fallout 3.

Back
Top Bottom