2. Wizardry 9
3. Realms of Arkania 4
4. Neverwinter Nights 3
5. Planescape 2
6. Baldur's Gate 3
7. Dungeon Master 3
8. Bloodlines 2
9. Temple of Elemental Evil 2

I doubt that I would pay full price for one Game of the Hooked Gamers List with the Exception of IWD 3.

A fairly generic article with some odd choices...but anyway, I'll add some of my own to the growing throng of fellow sequel seekers. There's some obvious parallels to my list of Kickstarter projects as well.

1. Bard's Tale IV (The online petitions live on...let us hear the Rhyme of Duotime once more! Bring back dungeons that require effort to solve!)
2. Ultima Underworld III (I've read that MCA once listed this game as something he'd love to work on...needless to say, it's been ages since we saw an immersive, heavily interactive underground dungeon crawler in the same style.)
3. Arx Fatalis 2 (For similar reasons to the above; I truly love the genre and gameplay style.)
4. Icewind Dale III (Or more to the point: Just give us another party based AD&D game already! Pretty please? With critical hits on top? The beautiful wintery ambience in addition to the challenging encounters...)
5. Arcanum 2 (There is certainly a dearth of RPG's in the Steampunk genre...)
6. Might and Magic XI? (Ubisoft..the power is surely in your hands...)
7. Legend of Grimrock 2 (Inevitable now? I'm still playing it on hardcore as I write this...)
8. Dark Sun 3 (Great games; the things they could now with modern tech!)
9. Another game within the Ravenloft setting...or RPG in the tradition of Vampire the Masquerade
10. As others have imagined: Piranha Bytes restoring their connections to the throne of Gothic in some way...

That'll do for now! Plenty more to be listed, I'm sure.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to see a PS:T 2. The story was so unique, and the way it ended would make it pretty tough to develop a credible sequel imo.
I agree 100%.

Give us another game in the Planescape universe, but I'd rather not see someone try to cash in on a "Torment 2".
The Planescape universe is great….however, I passionately hate the D&D ruleset so I would rather prefer a spiritual successor.

My list:
1. Arcanum 2
(Great world with a lot of potential)
2. Alpha Protocol 2
(Yes, IMO this game deserves a second chance with better execution)
3. KoTOR 3
(but please let it be developed by Obsidian….and allow them to finish it :))

Good call on the Dark Sun games. They're very over-looked. Perhaps because they were almost impossible to run on Windows 95 even with the most minimal boot disk. There's the bugs too. But the only superior tactical RPG I can recall is TOEE, and the Dark Sun games had the virtue of a descent story.

System Shock 3
Deus Ex 4
BioForge 2
Captive 3
Master of Magic 2
Master of Orion 3 (don't say it)
Hellgate London 2
Call to Power 3
Neverwinter Nights 3
Ultima Underworld 3
Arx Fatalis 2
Black Crypt 2
ShadowCaster 2
Elite 4
Privateer 3
Freelancer 2
Warlords 5
MechForce 2
Buck Rogers 3
KotOR 3
Vampire Bloodlines 2
Alien versus Predator 4
Legend of Kyrandia 4
Hero's Quest 6
X-Com 4
Waxworks 2
Pax Imperia 3
Pool of Radiance 3
Dark Sun 3
Space Crusade 2
Incubation 2
Xenomorph 2
Wing Commander 6
X-Wing 2
Tie Fighter 2
Gothic 4
Baldur's Gate 3
Dungeon Keeper 3
Dungeon Master 3
Eye of the Beholder 4
Lands of Lore 4
Homeworld 3
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms 2
Longbow 3
Syndicate 3
Realms of the Haunting 2
Battle for Middle Earth 3
Birth of the Federation 2
Unreal 3
Sea Dogs 3
Ultima X
Kohan 3
Lords of Chaos 2
Hidden and Dangerous 3
Blade of Darkness 2
Alpha Centauri 2
Revenant 2

At first I read the title wrong and thought the article had something to do with the world's oldest profession :p

I agree with Dartagnan regarding updates for Master of Orion and VTMB. That's it for me.

I like a lot of the sequel ideas others would like to see in this thread, and I thought I'd mention a few I didn't see mentioned.

Disciples of Steel 2
Warlords Battlecry 4
Ecstatica 3(with more rpg elements than part 2)
Phantasie 4
Stonekeep 2
Evil Islands 2

As in you didn't like Ultima VII part 2 or Ultima VIII?

Well I meant a true sequal to the complete Ultima VII ( I always look at it as one game since I bought the full disk set at once ) :D I don't particualrly mind Ultima VIII but it is certainly not a sequal to complete Ultima VII, it is not even the same game genre.

Revenant was one of the first games I bought when I had an old P75 PC with an 850 MB HDD. I have to dig up a copy of that one.

Rpgs:

Baldur's gate 3.

NWN 3. Again why has nobody continued this great series?

Kotor 3. Everyone wanted kotor 3 and they gave us TOR, bah!

Arx Fatalis 2. Maybe someday the arcane studios will have a funding to make this game.

Deus ex 4. I hope eidos isn't entirely stupid and not continue where HR left us.

Gothic 4. Lets just pretend that Arcania and forsaken gods never happened. I hope pbs return to gothic universe. Imo risen games haven't had that same impact as gothic 1 and gothic 2.

Other genres

Jedi knight 3. I always thought Jedi Academy more like an expansion pack than a real sequel to JK2. I just can't figure out why lucas arts hasn't already done JK4. The series sold extremly well in the past and these games are still quite popular. Besides its a star wars first person shooter! You can't go wrong with that concept.

Outcast 2 - the lost paradise. I was quite dissapointed when I heard that the project was canceled back in the day. Ofcourse its very unlikely that anyone would buy the rights for the canceled sequel, but one can always dream.

Blade of darkness 2. The sequel is a pure fantasy ofcourse because rebel act is no more. Blade of darkness was really an unique game. I doubt other devs could do it justice. The fighting system was so brilliant. In most fantasy action games, sword fighting can be described as button smashing. Bod on the other hand is one of the those few games where fights are slow paced and belivable.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to see a PS:T 2. The story was so unique, and the way it ended would make it pretty tough to develop a credible sequel imo.

Give us another game in the Planescape universe, but I'd rather not see someone try to cash in on a "Torment 2".

I agree, PS:T 2 would have a LOT to live up to, and even if it turn out to be a good game, I might be disappointed. Another PS game OTOH would be great, especially if they brought over some key features of T.

pibbur who also would like to see Wiz 9, a good Ultima sequel of any kind, Bloodlines 2, possibly also MM 9 (disregarding the unmentionable one). And who hopes, due to limited available game time, that a few of those on Dart's list won't see the light of day.

Right now i am more in mood for some Arx Fatalis 2 , their list surprisingly doesn't suck as much as i was expecting .

I greatly enjoyed DeusHR but i am not sure i want another linear shooter with RPG elements .

I greatly enjoyed DeusHR but i am not sure i want another linear shooter with RPG elements .

Those kind of games are perfect when you are to tired for something more convoluted and tactical and just want some good immersion, preferably with a glass of wine before passing off.

OnT
I have a hard time seeing a sequel to BG2. What kind of story would it have?

I'm not that fond of the DnD system, to much magic and munchism for my taste, but there have come some good games out of it. How come that there haven't been any new, larger DnD games? As in NWN3?

C

OnT
I have a hard time seeing a sequel to BG2. What kind of story would it have?

It wouldn't have to be based on Bhaal or the Bhaalspawn. Like NWN1 and 2 it could simply involve the same cities/characters. Baldur's Gate, just like Neverwinter, is a fascinating city in the Forgotten Realms, one that hasn't been explored too much outside BG1.

It could involve another main character who visits or grew up in/near Baldur's Gate, that travels along the sword coast on some quest or other. Maybe he/she could bump into some old friends from BG1-2, like Keldorn, Minsc, Edwin, Xan and so on? A visit to Candlekeep before or after the Spellplague hit could be interesting, and I assume towns like Beregost and Trademeet are still around, though they might be in trouble after the Spellplague hit I suppose.

Lots of potential in BG3 with a new main character, as long as the setting and gameplay stays similar.

How about: Stop making sequels and come up with some fresh ideas instead?

I see no reason sequels can't have fresh ideas :)

Then again, I think most games are variations on a theme - and the theme itself isn't really the essential aspect. Not for me, anyway.

Just like with movies and books, there's a natural limitation of completely fresh ideas you can come up with - and you generally just come up with a slightly new way of doing exactly the same.

This is probably why I shrug when people call games like Portal, Angry Birds, PvZ and so on fresh or innovative.

Those games hearken back to the simplest of core mechanics, seen decades ago.

foreach($game_series_i_like as $game_series)
echo $game_series['name'] . " " . (count($game_series['instalments'])+1) ."\n";

Since people consistently want sequels of games they like then I fail to see the point of such lists and how they differentiate from a 'your favorite game series' list. What I would find interesting would be a list of games that people don't want to see sequels of even though they really like them. PS:T often comes up as such a game.

Also this:

Back
Top Bottom