Morrowind Starting a new (modded) Morrowind play-through

I've seen a clear day in Ald'ruhn, so it is possible. Maybe it's just a rough season for ash storms.

Uploading a video now that shows a clear night in Ald'ruhn. Hopefully I can head back out in the daytime and get a good view from atop the Silt Strider port there. It's pretty impressive. I'll do that in my next session (taking a short break because of a migraine right now).

Also, I'm about to head into my first Dwemer ruin! That should be a ton of fun. That episode will either be coming later tonight as my 2nd episode upload of the day or tomorrow.

Man, this video encoding business is just silly.

If I encode a lower quality vid, it takes about 30 minutes but the end result looks bad.

If I encode a high quality vid, it takes an hour and a half and comes out 4+ GB.

I'm going to experiment in future episodes with some sort of middle ground approach to cut down on these outrageous times a bit.

Thrasher and Gloo, please keep me updated in the future with how the videos look to you. I want them to be as high quality as possible but they have to be reasonable to upload and encode.

Thanks!

Thrasher and Gloo, please keep me updated in the future with how the videos look to you. I want them to be as high quality as possible but they have to be reasonable to upload and encode. Thanks!
As things go for now I've nothing to complain about regarding the quality ! Keep it up that way, it's perfect.

As for my personal play through, I update my post with the mod list I'm currently using (on top of the Morrowind overhaul), so here are those that, for now, seem to run smoothly (I'm currently playing a Dunmer Thief Lvl 4) :

- Fire hurts.
- Rogues.
- Fair Magicka regen.
- No thieving start.
- Advanced herbalism.

Each of these are (AFAIK) the latest versions. No problems to report with it but I ran into glitches and seemingly bugs while playing with two other mods : Primary needs and Sleep or suffer. I'm playing on WinXP SP3, 3Go RAM, a nVidia GPU (EVGA 460 GTX OC 768Mo) and with a UK Collector version of Morrowind patched with the official patch but not with the Unofficial one and despite of that the game is fairly stable. I got only a CTD a while back but I suspect the aforementioned mods to be responsible for that, instead of the game per se. The MGSO mod is a real visual blast and much more easy to install and set up than it used to be (I previously tried an earlier version that was buggy as hell !). The game runs at 60fps indoor and an average 25fps outdoor (on a range of 15-40Fps). The stability seem to be no longer a problem, as far as I can tell after some hours of play through. I'll try to upload the many screen shots I took and will post here the link to my Dropbox directory to it :)

Awesome! Good luck with your playthrough, Gloo!

Interesting that you average 25 FPS outdoors. I am using a AMD 7970m card and I get about 25 outdoors as well. Do you have anti-aliasing turned on? In places like the middle of Ald'ruhn my FPS dips to about 18/19.

Awesome! Good luck with your playthrough, Gloo!
Thanks ! :) My pilferer is doing quite well actually. He's currently exploring a little island near the Bitter coast, a few breaststroke from Hla Oad. It's amazing how my game differs from yours in many ways. That says so much about the richness of Morrowind !

Interesting that you average 25 FPS outdoors. I am using a AMD 7970m card and I get about 25 outdoors as well. Do you have anti-aliasing turned on? In places like the middle of Ald'ruhn my FPS dips to about 18/19.
I forgot to add that I'm playing on an AMD Phenom II X4 840 CPU. Here's the link to my Dropbox dir for this play through (some captures refer to a previously abandonned character though) :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y4shmsq5oe6uviq/omkPxqtTHv/Captures/Morrowind

The average FPS are shown in the upper left corner so you'll be able to compare it with your own results (the visual options are all maxed, with AAx2 and Anisotropic filtering set to 8x).

Wow! Very beautiful screenshots, friend. I really enjoyed those!

I think my Distant Land is set to 30 cells, so that's why my FPS dips a bit. Default is 20 or 10, can't remember.

Wow! Very beautiful screenshots, friend. I really enjoyed those!

I think my Distant Land is set to 30 cells, so that's why my FPS dips a bit. Default is 20 or 10, can't remember.
Happy to hear someone appreciate the screen shots, thanks ! :) If I do not mistake, the draw distance in my game is set to 12. 30 seems really high a value as I guess you can see Vivec from Seyda Neen ?! That's the kind of high values that make the whole island appearing even smaller than it really is.

I don't know, I still get the feeling that the island is enormous, even if I can see Ebonheart from Vivec (which was pretty cool, actually!). It just means you can see a little further in the distance. Great for standing up on a mountain top and looking around.

I'm afraid my thief reached a bitter ending while dealing with a Greater Bonewalker, as seen on the latest screen shots. I think a nasty bug has affected my avatar as he seems to have been cursed but there's no icon showing the curse depleting his Strength and Endurance to zero ! I've tried to cure it with a Cure common disease potion and a Panacea spell but to no avail. I then tried to wait (even many days !) in an attempt to see if the effects would wear out but nope ! All I can do is use a spell of Almsivi intervention to go back to Balmora temple but while there, no body comes to see that poor soul standing idled in front of the entrance door. That's really a sad sight to see, especially as he actually killed his opponent and his yet condemned, solely for not traveling with a bunch of the appropriate potions of restoration. How ironic is such and ending ! If someone his aware of a solution to this problem… otherwise I'll play by the rules and start over with a fresh new avatar.

Hmm. Have you tried purchasing Restore Strength and Restore Endurance potions? They should do the trick. If that doesn't work then it appears you've been hit with some sort of glitch. Sorry to hear.

Hmm. Have you tried purchasing Restore Strength and Restore Endurance potions? They should do the trick. If that doesn't work then it appears you've been hit with some sort of glitch. Sorry to hear.
The problem is that I can't go anywhere since my Strengh & Endurance are reduced to 0 > I can't move, even after dropping every piece of equipment (my load is 0 of 240 !). I'm completely stuck. I even tried a levitate potion, without success :(

I guess my last resort is in starting a new character and hoping not to encounter such a show stopper bug again… !

Do a web search for cheats/console commands. Hopefully you can find something that will allow you to temporarily boost your strength so you can purchase the potions you need.

Also try Bethesda's forums if you haven't already.

Not a bug, unfortunately. Some of those beasties cause permanent (until cured) stat loss. That's why finding the Restore Strength spell in particular is so essential.

I think you can spawn a potion with player->AddItem p_restore_strength_e 1

Not a bug, unfortunately. Some of those beasties cause permanent (until cured) stat loss. That's why finding the Restore Strength spell in particular is so essential.

I think you can spawn a potion with player->AddItem p_restore_strength_e 1
Thanks to you all for those good tips. I'll try to use the console, just to see if it does the trick, but I think I'll learn the lesson instead and start a new character that'll stock at least one potion of each kind of Restore and act wiser in front of those Ancient tombs entrance… :)

Back
Top Bottom