Lord of the Rings Online - Free Trial Program

Inauro

Watcher
Turbine has announced a free trial program for Lord of the Rings Online.
WESTWOOD, MA -- August 29, 2007 -- Turbine, Inc. has launched the official 7-day free trial of The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM: Shadows of AngmarTM (LOTRO). Beginning today, fans in North America, Australia and New Zealand can play the best online game for free by visiting http://trial.lotro.com/.
LOTRO has received critical acclaim from around the globe. Since its launch in April, LOTRO has quickly become the second largest MMORPG with an estimated 4 million characters calling Middle-earth their home. The game continues to grow with two massive updates that have increased the world by over 20%:
  • 10,000,000 square meters of new landscape to explore
  • Over 200 new quests that extend the epic story
  • Introduction of Legendary Play where players can experience PvP as a powerful Ranger or a fearsome Troll
  • New and updated features including the Reputation, Bartering and Music systems
"We have surpassed our goal of combining the greatest fantasy of all time with a state-of-the-art online social experience," said Jeffrey Anderson, CEO of Turbine, Inc. "And now we want everyone to have the opportunity to walk through the Shire, climb the Misty Mountains, fight with their own fellowship in the War of the Ring and fully experience the greatest fantasy of all time."
Eligible fans can participate in The Lord of the Rings Online trial program and play the game for 7 days free of charge. At the end of the trial, players will have the option of continuing to play LOTRO, and to keep the characters created during their 7-day free trial time, by purchasing the game either online or at retail. To participate in the 7-day free trial or to find out where to buy LOTRO, visit http://trial.lotro.com/.
The Lord of the Rings Online delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the quaint surroundings of the Shire to Angmar, the vile kingdom of the Witch-king, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before. The Lord of the Rings Online is available for purchase at major retailers across North America. For more information about The Lord of the Rings Online, please visit http://www.lotro.com/.
More information.

Anyone playing LotR online, if so, are their any solo classes and content?

I was thinking of trying the free trial but don't want to be obligated to find a party to make any progress, in the 7 days.

Thanks. :)

don't do it man. just say no. friends don't let friends play mmorpgs.

I've played both Lotro and WoW, Lotro is basically an unpolished version of WoW, with a more interesting setting. Yes, you can do stuff solo, but no, you can't really "achieve" anything. The solo content is limited, as in all online games. Also, there are even bigger balance issues in Lotro than WoW (in PvP that is).

All in all it's a solid MMO, but there is no reason to play Lotro instead of WoW unless you do so for the setting.

Hehe, nice one curiously undead. :)

Maylander I really have never played WoW, mostly becasue overcrowded servers and most experinced mmo players have said it's really sort of easy.

Had a good time when I tired Vanguard's free 7 day trial, I was able to hit 20th level mostly solo, even though it was very buggy/incomplete and mostly a group centered game.

So I was thinking since LotR is newer maybe they wouldn't be so over crowded, can you suggest a solo classs and race combo for good effect. please? :)
I usually play a Summoner or Mage type characters for soloing, but the descriptions on the sites don't offer much help.

Thanks. :)

Well, the community does certainly not have the same "crowded" feeling, that's true.

As for class/race, I suggest the Loremaster, he is both a mage and a summoner in a way - without a doubt one of the most powerful classes. He's a bit hard to play, as most casters in most games, up to a certain point, but then he really starts to shine. Getting the bear as a tanking pet at lvl 16 usually does the trick.

I think Loremaster can only be Elf and Human, so it's a simple matter of picking either one. I've tried both their starting areas, and I feel the Human ones are the easiest, but you should choose whatever you like - you'll be levelling in the same zones soon enough anyway.

Hope that helps.

I had gotten an invite recently but still haven't had time to even install yet ...

I have tried it, I don't like it.

LotRO has its weaknesses and strengths though it is certainly worth playing until you tire of it. And the combat is great.
It contains a lot more "hardcore" RPG elements than many singleplayer hack'n'slash RPGs do.

Sorry for reopening an old thread.

I bought LotR Online Special edition back in 2007. Played it for a couple of days and than put it on a shelf because I had some issues in real life.
Now Codemasters are offering free "Welcome Back Week" and I have been randomly selected to receive 50% off a LotR lifetime subscription for 125 dollars.
Is this worth buying? I won`t play it right now or even in a year as I have tons of other games to complete and not that much free time but I might try it in the future. Is 125$ a good deal or do these special offers appear regularly.

Sorry for reopening an old thread.

I bought LotR Online Special edition back in 2007. Played it for a couple of days and than put it on a shelf because I had some issues in real life.
Now Codemasters are offering free "Welcome Back Week" and I have been randomly selected to receive 50% off a LotR lifetime subscription for 125 dollars.
Is this worth buying? I won`t play it right now or even in a year as I have tons of other games to complete and not that much free time but I might try it in the future. Is 125$ a good deal or do these special offers appear regularly.

I think it's a good deal. I paid much more than that when I bought a lifetime subscription a couple of years ago. IMO the game is worth it, and it's nice to have a mmo where you don't feel your wasting money if you don't play it for a while. So I say: go for it

That's a lot of money for a "maybe".

Back
Top Bottom