Diablo 3 - 3.5M Sold in 24 hours

Yes, because it seems that not even Blizzard believe their DRM will prevent people from eventually pirating their game.

No, because in fact - de facto - it works out like an DRM.

I can dress myself as a banana and say that I'm not a banana but instead a melon - but IN FACT everyone will see me looking like a banana.

It doesn't really matter what kind of philosophy you cite for their "always on" policy - because de facto it ACTS like DRM.

You must decide between the philosophy and the sheer practical results.

however when someone like blizzard who have the power do it,

"Industry Standard"

But are you a Diablo fan ?

You can say that , i have played LoD for countless hours

And are you a pirate?

Because apparently, disagreeing with the online requirement has to come from pirats.

It is not possible it comes from people with different reasons like I dont know, being charged unneededly for work that has no interest to a SP.

Being forced in a security tax for a security issue that does not even concern you has to be the choice.

cute
Have you ever thought that some people will pirate a game instead of buying it because of DRM ?

Which leads to the piracy bit. I suspect that actually pirats wont be bothered that much by it as they will have spare cash to buy the game through the other games they do not buy.

Might be - but they have earned enough money within the first few days that they'll have enough profits for the near future.

the other segments of the demand side will be forced into a corner: either comply or not play.

The term "peer pressure" comes to my mind here.

cute
Have you ever thought that some people will pirate a game instead of buying it because of DRM ?

Cute.
Have you ever thought of people just outright not buying games because of DRM ?

It is in the interest of any supply side to charge unneeded work. Thanks to the buyers, Blizzard has achieved that. And when the supply side is mostly composed with perpetual online requirement, the other segments of the demand side will be forced into a corner: either comply or not play.
Which is to say, it's not a corner at all, because not playing is no hardship at all. The value for money question remains equally valid and can be answered by those players playing the game or not. This 6M figure indicates that a lot more people think D3 is value for money compared to other PC games.

Alrik Fassbauer said:
Have you ever thought of people just outright not buying games because of DRM ?

I'm in the camp that will buy it if a working, offline crack emerges. So in my case Blizzard will increase their sales if the game is cracked (albeit this will probably be more than offset by the hordes of scummy pirates who will steal the game once it is cracked).

I wont be buying the game either. I just want to say thank you to all the 6.5 million people who bought it for influencing sp online requirements that are bound to appear now.

They could have made Diablo 3 single player playable offline in that case…. either way what you mentioned is just another positive thing about their always online solution. Yes the technology needs to mature a bit still, but I am sure in the future all games will be like that. You're right that people will not put up with that kind of unmature technology from a unknown company, however when someone like blizzard who have the power do it, they'll get the ball running and technology like that will become more and more mature. On top of that you have the entire achievements, talk and brag to your friends, connection to forums and other online portal service, as a huge benefit.

I'm not interested at all for the social aspects or options that supposedly improve the game with there online service.

Last edited:
I thank the ignorants (who bought it and hate it) + the Blizzard fanboys for promoting PC games + Top down !

You can say that , i have played LoD for countless hours

cute

Well, we've had two persons saying they like Diablo but they won't buy it because of DRM, and one won't buy it unless it is cracked. However obviously majority is not like that considering how much they sold.

It'll be interesting to see if there will be a "sales spike" when the crack is out. I seriously doubt there will be though.

I'm not interested at all for the social aspects or options that supposedly improve the game with there online service.

If you don't like achievements or no cheating or bragging about your game online or talking to your friends or whatever nothing forces you to use these features. However in the future their could be benefits even you are interessed in, how about automatically getting latest patch when starting up without noticing it? or getting new content etc to your favorite single player game? or how about playing in highest resolution on any device ? could be you're not interested in those either.. but still probably there is something you'd like.

What I really like is not having to worry about my save games getting lost, and not having to worry about saving at all, also crashes that will not destroy progress.

If you don't like achievements or no cheating or bragging about your game online or talking to your friends or whatever nothing forces you to use these features. However in the future their could be benefits even you are interessed in, how about automatically getting latest patch when starting up without noticing it? or getting new content etc to your favorite single player game? or how about playing in highest resolution on any device ? could be you're not interested in those either.. but still probably there is something you'd like.

What I really like is not having to worry about my save games getting lost, and not having to worry about saving at all, also crashes that will not destroy progress.

I already have something like that its called steam. Really in all honestly nothing will make me interested as I prefer solo offline play. When all games require me to play on a server I'm done with gaming.

I think even without DRM number of sold copies would be around same because 1.Games made by blizzard always sell well
2.Hype is building since around 2008
3.it's squel to one of best PC games ever
As for DRM I think they hurt us that pay for game most .There will be craked version of diablo 3 or any other game they can't stop it so publishers should stop hurting us who actualy pay for their game.Good games(or thoses with good marketing campaign) sell well being pirated or not(look at skyrim for example)

All the gnashing of teeth over the online requirement is really getting tiresome.

Look, early on this development team made the unilateral decision that Diablo was, at it's core, a multiplayer game. From that moment on, all design decisions centered around that basic pillar. And it's inarguable that the online-only requirement provides huge, huge, HUGE benefits to the people who enjoy playing Diablo in a multiplayer setting. Playing with my friends has never been easier or more fun.

I know many here would disagree with the emphasis on multiplayer enjoyment, and the subsequent priority shift in game features that happened because of it. But the reality is that the title of this game may as well be, "Diablo 3: Single Players Need Not Apply." Sure, you can do it, but even the huge Diablo fan in me has one simple question: Why?

What amuses me is the uproar this causes in the hardcore RPG community, who generally aren't interested in multiplayer, and ironically are usually some of the biggest critics of Diablo to begin with! I can remember vividly many of the flame wars that surrounded Diablo 1 & 2 in their prime, about whether they were really RPG's, about how Diablo ruined the RPG genre, and about how nothing could be more boring than simply clicking on things in a pretty world to advance through a game. And to be honest, I agree with a lot of this. At least as it pertains to the single-player experience. It really is kind of a pointless endeavor.

Well, it seems to me that Blizzard finally initiated a break-up with those folks. Like a pretty girl with not much going on upstairs, she finally came to her senses that you would really be happier with something deeper and finally said, "Sorry, it's just not working out," and proceeded to focus her attention on those who are happy with nothing but a pretty face (and happy to shower money on her for her…ahem…auction house. Sorry, this analogy got way out of hand, LOL).

So in the end, I really don't see the need for all the fuss about what Blizzard has done here. Many here have clearly seen where Blizzard has placed their emphasis, and have chosen to sit this one out. And that's totally cool, more power to you. It's not like we have a shortage of RPG games to play.

I'm having fun with D3 for what it is: A multiplayer RPG-lite game that I can play and have a good time with my wife, my daughter, and my gaming friends. On that criteria, the game is a 10/10 for me. But if you're not interested in an MP experience, there's really no reason to buy this game IMO. If that describes you, then don't walk away mad, just walk away. :D

cute

Thanks.

What pirates do, their motives and the rest is not of my concern.

All the gnashing of teeth over the online requirement is really getting tiresome.

Look, early on this development team made the unilateral decision that Diablo was, at it's core, a multiplayer game. From that moment on, all design decisions centered around that basic pillar. And it's inarguable that the online-only requirement provides huge, huge, HUGE benefits to the people who enjoy playing Diablo in a multiplayer setting. Playing with my friends has never been easier or more fun.

Maybe. Not my case. I cant see how online multiplayers games can be played but by being online. Players who can lan are scarce and well, that is one possibility given by the Internet.

So yes, online only requirement is somehow a told when one thinks of MU gaming.
Especially when it comes to PC when sharing the platform is not common.

So yep, MU has to be online. Hard to argue otherwise for now.

What next? PC gaming happening on PC platform?

I know many here would disagree with the emphasis on multiplayer enjoyment, and the subsequent priority shift in game features that happened because of it. But the reality is that the title of this game may as well be, "Diablo 3: Single Players Need Not Apply." Sure, you can do it, but even the huge Diablo fan in me has one simple question: Why?

Does the game contain a campaign, a SP mode? If so, then resources were misallocated as by your say it is supposed to be a single player need not to apply.

You might have had more content for the same price if they had forsaken the SP side.
What amuses me is the uproar this causes in the hardcore RPG community, who generally aren't interested in multiplayer, and ironically are usually some of the biggest critics of Diablo to begin with! I can remember vividly many of the flame wars that surrounded Diablo 1 & 2 in their prime, about whether they were really RPG's, about how Diablo ruined the RPG genre, and about how nothing could be more boring than simply clicking on things in a pretty world to advance through a game. And to be honest, I agree with a lot of this. At least as it pertains to the single-player experience. It really is kind of a pointless endeavor

That would mean that Diablo was a RPG, which it was not.

Whatever, so far, games can be played SP or not. Requiring online connection for any SP game is the trouble, not Diablo in particular.

So in the end, I really don't see the need for all the fuss about what Blizzard has done here. Many here have clearly seen where Blizzard has placed their emphasis, and have chosen to sit this one out. And that's totally cool, more power to you. It's not like we have a shortage of RPG games to play.

They could as well have made Diablo 3 a multiplayer game only. Which would have cut down the controversy. And would have allocated more resources to the MU developpment.
I'm having fun with D3 for what it is: A multiplayer RPG-lite game that I can play and have a good time with my wife, my daughter

You live in the same house? Because being forced to go through an Internet connection when the other players are just next to you, that is one of the most wonderful things ever in terms of performance.

Yeah, nobody forces him to use these features but everything forces him to pay to support the developpment of these features.

After Skyrim, is it serious to sell the auto patching feature as an advantage? You know, when you get your game to be patched with a patch that brings in new bugs? This without even noticing it?

And no, Steam no automatic update feature is not reliable. The only reliable way is, guess what, disconnection from the Internet. What a revolution.

Useless to try by the way, client system like Steam or a permanent online connection brings nothing to a SP gameplay. Nothing. Try as hard as you want.

But if you're not interested in an MP experience, there's really no reason to buy this game IMO. If that describes you, then don't walk away mad, just walk away. :D

And this is where the cookie crumbles.

I am somewhat a unique figure among the gamers I know personally. Why? I really LIKE the lore and the "story" of Diablo 1 and 2. I think it is an interesting world I want to know more about. The non-canon books were all crap, but the pieces about the Sin War, The Dark Exile and Horadrim were excellent IMHO.

I want to play them, enjoy them, even if they are shallow and scarce in between endless battles against stupid critters. I don't want to play MP, because I want the world to rotate around me - and noone else.

Installing another "Client" or requiring a BN registration that I don't want? No Sir, can't have it, because STEAM and Origin won't get it, too.

I'll buy the game (buyed both D1 and 2) the day a working private server client is released. And I won't consider it piracy.

I just want my game back - that's all.

Yeah, nobody forces him to use these features but everything forces him to pay to support the developpment of these features.

After Skyrim, is it serious to sell the auto patching feature as an advantage? You know, when you get your game to be patched with a patch that brings in new bugs? This without even noticing it?

And no, Steam no automatic update feature is not reliable. The only reliable way is, guess what, disconnection from the Internet. What a revolution.

Useless to try by the way, client system like Steam or a permanent online connection brings nothing to a SP gameplay. Nothing. Try as hard as you want.

Well, first of all the more common these features become the less they'll cost to develop. Second of all none likes all features of every game, but they still have to pay for them anyway. Third the more people that pirate games, the higher the cost will be for the people who actually pay for them, so always online DRM is a win-win as long as they fix the technology as to not bother the player.

It doesn't suprise me that Betheshda make crappy patches they make crappy games too IMHO.
However I wouldn't expect Blizzard to put up a crappy patch and if they did indeed release such a thing I am sure they'd release an automatic fix just as fast.

Last edited:
Good ol Chien, always going on and on about those dastardly developpppppers, lol

I actually have grown to love the always online-DRM thing for DIII. It was a pain in the ass the first couple days when literally millions of people were flocking to flood BLizzard with cyber cash, but then it settled down and has since been smooth as silk. I love all the doomsayers, thanking me (by the way, youre welcome!) for helping to usher in a whole new era of DRM Nazis From Hell. Just the drama alone is worth it, I'm starting to like all the negative attention that us bad-boys and girls are getting for simply buying a game that we wanted to play. Are you really that fumed up at me Couch Potato? Will you ever forgive the dastardly developpppppers, chienaboyer?

What do you RPG Puritans want to do with a pretty action-RPG anyway, arent you supposed to be playing some shitty Spiderweb game or Fallout for the hundredth time? Why are you even worried about new games at all?

Well, first of all the more common these features become the less they'll cost to develop. Second of all none likes all features of every game, but they still have to pay for them anyway. Third the more people that pirate games, the higher the cost will be for the people who actually pay for them, so always online DRM is a win-win as long as they fix the technology as to not bother the player.

First, it changes nothing. 1cent is still one cent too much. That is transfer of wealth from players who are not interested in these features to players who want these features.

Second, every buyer buys a game. Appreciation of gameplay related features is personal. What is not is the appreciation of non related gameplay features. No weaseling out here.
And third, does it mean that games with an online requirement will cost less in the future? Let me guess: it will be said more content for the same price.

It doesn't suprise me that Betheshda make crappy pathces they make crappy games too IMHO.
However I wouldn't expect Blizzard to put up a crappy patch and if they did indeed release such a thing I am sure they'd release an automatic fix just as fast.
Coding is what it is. The minute buyers offered the opportunity to developpers to get their quality testing performed by buyers, it was written that patching would be that way.

Skyrim is just one example among many others. By forcing patching, any player is forced to play a version of the game (even when the player prefers a previous version)
And with Steam, there is no rolling back.

Back
Top Bottom