Arcania - Producer Q&A

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A canned Arcania interview from JoWood has been released, with Producer Philippe Louvet responding. World of Gothic has posted the piece and here's a sample:
I. ArcaniA - A Gothic Tale is the 4th iteration of the Gothic series, we’ve seen some videos and images at E3, could you please tell us at which stage is the game?

Since E3 we took some higher ground to maximize the great game we have in our hands . We refocused the entire production on the core elements of the game and we will have a beta version of the first fifth of the game in september. We are in the process of finishing this first 'chapter', we're working on the combat and magic system. We're polishing the quests and translating the texts to work simultaneuously on English and German versions We will use this first version to test the game play with different user groups all over the world. We aim the game play to be enjoyable on consoles and are working in this direction, but don’t worry we’ll have many surprises on PC too...
More information.

IX. Risen is to come out later this year, how do you plan to differentiate ArcaniA from it?

By making a very high quality.

Ouch. That's some unnecessary roughness there.

Bad PR. I would have said something like: ArcaniA's developers wish all the best to Risen. We hope both games are really good. However, we want to make sure that you know ArcaniA is not Risen. Both games are being developed by different developers and Spellbound is an expert team that has worked on games throughout the years and will make ArcaniA a unique gaming experience.

Something like that shows that the hostilities between the games have gone, both games can be good, BUT don't forget Spellbound is a great team that has made a lot of good games...

IX. Risen is to come out later this year, how do you plan to differentiate ArcaniA from it?

By making a very high quality.
Shots Fired?
That was unexpected.

You are taking that quote out of context and if you read the rest of it rather then being an attack against PB they are just ignoring the correlation between Risen and Arcania.

You are taking that quote out of context and if you read the rest of it rather then being an attack against PB they are just ignoring the correlation between Risen and Arcania.

Not really. That quote is a complete sentence ending with a period.

Not as it is written. Maybe there's a German version that reads differently but - intentional or not - there isn't a different context as presented.

Why don't we try to remain neutral about this game until it's actually released. Maybe it's not very good, as I'm sure we're all suspecting, but is it really necessary to make up these theories about how it's an attack on Risen?

It's supremely obvious that the interview in question suffers from questionable english - and reading it literally as "Our game will be high quality unlike everything else." is definitely a mistake. No one would ever say something like that in public, unless they were extremely arrogant - which we have no reason to assume. More likely we're talking about some kind of language barrier - or a media related error.

I like to remain unbiased - even if it's kinda hard in this case. But it could go and surprise us - though I've seen nothing to suggest that :)

Unlike Dragon Age - where Bioware have done all they can to cram down my throat that it'll be mass market entertainment, I've yet to see ANYTHING concrete about Arcania that tells me it won't really be for me. I SUSPECT it won't - but I just don't know.

I think that part being a sentence is probably an error since if you read their entire answer they speak like they are ignoring the correlation between Risen and Arcania. It reads like they are trying to say that Arcania is a great game that can stand out among other rpgs. It doesn't read as an attack against Risen or any other game and doesn't directly answer the interviewers question.

PS. People are to quick to judge and it is better to take a neutral stance to something like this when there is a language barrier.

The writing about the plot has been very, very poor (on their website) and in this interview... your village is burned? Really? I must have flammable footwear the way this keeps happening to me :(

And combat is the focus, er... that would be Diablo, not Gothic...

Eager to be surprised (and probably a must buy anyway :) but expectations are low.

Back
Top Bottom