Pricewatch!

I agree, even though they "helped" because it was profitable for them. Still, I'm grateful for Visceral Games, the developers of the Dead Space franchise, which started out as EA Redwood Shores.

Do you honestly think that companies should help others if it is not in their own interest? And if a good doctor finds a cure for a disease you have that other doctors didn't find, and this doctor charges you money for it, did he not help you?

Do you honestly think that companies should help others if it is not in their own interest? And if a good doctor finds a cure for a disease you have that other doctors didn't find, and this doctor charges you money for it, did he not help you?

The 'indie' tradition is about creating games for the love of the game - and the feeling that you are serving an ignored niche. That doesn't mean that you take a vow of poverty, just that your initial motivation is 'the art'.

For EA, their first, middle and last motivation is money - since 'Indie' is hip, they are exploiting it for more profit.

What JDR is saying is that the end result is good ... even if the motivations are exploitive.

The 'indie' tradition is about creating games for the love of the game - and the feeling that you are serving an ignored niche. That doesn't mean that you take a vow of poverty, just that your initial motivation is 'the art'.

For EA, their first, middle and last motivation is money - since 'Indie' is hip, they are exploiting it for more profit.

What JDR is saying is that the end result is good … even if the motivations are exploitive.

I understand that. And my point is that help is help, even if it is in the helpers interest to offer help. And that's a good thing. In fact, I can't think of an example where helping others does not have some sort of self-serving motive. Money is just one of those motives.

New Indie gala is out, and this is a very good one. It is organized into 3 tiers, based on how much you pay (which in turn is based on the current average):
Tier 1 (anything above $1):
Making History: The Calm & The storm (Steam)
Beat Hazard (DRM free)
Razor 2 (Steam)
Ironclads collection (5 games in total) (Steam)

Tier 2 (Average, I would guess)
Space Empires IV Deluxe (Steam)
Battle Mages (DRM free)
World Rally Championship Racing (DRM free)
Bad Rats: Rats Revenge (Steam)

Tier 3 (More than average, I would guess, but I don't know how much):
Disciples II: Rise of the elves (Steam) (Previous parts of Disciples 2 was in the last bundle, but this one is standalone)
Puzzle Kingdom (Steam)
Ninja Blade (DRM free)
SBK X: Superbike World Championship (DRM free)

This is probably the most games ever seen in a single bundle.

Alice: Madness Returns is on sale at Steam. The original game is one of my all time faves, I cannot vouch for the sequel but i bought it!

LOL
Yay, I say too, one can never get enough boobs to see. ;)

How well has the first three Tomb Raider games aged? I only played a little bit of the first one back when it was still new (and I was horrible at it). Would these still be worth it for someone with no nostalgic ties to the series?

Would these still be worth it for someone with no nostalgic ties to the series?

I doubt it. They were never great games to begin with, imo. I remember finding the original Tomb Raider mildly enjoyable when it was released on the PS1, but you would be better off playing the remake.

How well has the first three Tomb Raider games aged? I only played a little bit of the first one back when it was still new (and I was horrible at it). Would these still be worth it for someone with no nostalgic ties to the series?

Definitely no. If there is no nostalgia involved then you will want to try the newer games like Legend or Anniversary.
I kind of have to disagree with JDR on them not being great games to begin with. They were awesome games for anyone who is/was into this kind of experience.
You just have to like the particular style though. If you don't then there's no way you're going to enjoy these games since they are all very similar in structure and are based on the same formula.

If you enjoy action adventures that require some pretty serious mouse/keyboard skills including a good sense of timing plus some fairly complex puzzles then the Tomb Raider games are all you will ever need.
Also back in the day the level of exploration with climbing, swimming, diving and vehicle usage was just about unmatched. The first game was also visually very pleasing (not just because of Ms Croft ;) ) if you had a 3dfx card.

The series kind of went downhill after part deux but the newer games, Legend and Anniversary, are pretty good again. If you like the style then you'll get tons of enjoyment out of beating the levels including the Croft manor (Lara's home which is a whole level in and of itself). It's also fun to hunt for the optional unlocks like bonus outfits for Lara etc.

That is pretty much my take - played a bit on a friend's console of the original and was kinda 'meh' on it myself, but very much enjoyed Legacy and Anniversary. Skipping the GoG release ...

Thanks, I'll skip the GOG releases then. I'm actually playing Anniversary right now (got it on the last Gamer's Gate sale), and it is a decent enough game, good platforming action, some nice puzzles, but it has some quirks that I don't like (like how you can't land on a pole/pillar when a wall trap that will hit it is activated, even if the trap itself is retracting).

the new humble indie bundle (numero 5) is just awesome!
www.humblebundle.com

after a number of so so bundles we now got
- bastion
- amnesia: the dark descent
- limbo
- psychonauts (from doublefine)
- superbrothers sword and sorcery EP

not really RPG (except for bastion), but i didnt think it worthwhile to create a new thread for every indie bundle out there.

Bought wing commander 3 and 4 for nostalgic reasons, man it feels weird buying a game twice....it still looks cool for wc3:)

Back
Top Bottom