Risen 25 hours played. Level 14. Still in Chapter 1. :)

elkston

Sentinel
Just an FYI. LOL. I'm a hunter with the Don Esteban's group and I finally decided to quit exploring a bit (still a BUNCH more I haven't seen) and move the plot forward.

Now at the monastery ready to talk to the Inquisitor

Just letting people know that there is no reason to rush through this game.

EDIT:

Oh, and not one single crash. Plus you can ALT+TAB back and forth without incident. Game is stable as a rock. (I have Vista 64-bit).

Last edited:
I'm on a similar path so let me join in the bragging :biggrin: .

- Level 10
- Have not chosen a faction yet (3/4 for both the Don and the Order) but I have unlocked the secret passage out of the harbor city and can come and go as I wish.
- 2,000+ gold plus probably hundreds if not another 1K or more in loot (haven't sold stuff in ages).
- I have only put LP in strength, lockpicking and pickpocketing so far. Have not upgraded any weapon skills yet. All options and paths remain open and possible.
- Current plan: Explore, do every quest and clear the entire map before picking a faction and advancing the story (wish me luck with those black wolves, ogres etc. ;) ).
- Then rinse and repeat in chapter 2, 3, and 4 (i.e. clearing the entire map again).

This is going to be one epic game. I'm in no rush at all to finish the thing :) .

Moriendor,

You're going to have a great "quick start" savegame when you finally decide to commit to a faction.

I do have a special save slot where I could go back and decide to go another route (besides the Don), but I was not as disciplined with the LPs as my character is more invested in archery and sword than the "clean slate" alternative you are working on.

Yeah, good luck on those Black Wolves. :) They seem to move twice as fast as regular wolves and bite harder. Also, if you see a Ghoul --- RUN! I cannot imagine trying to fight them without some sort of upgraded sword or archery skill. They simply move and strike too swiftly.

Is it obvious when you're about to take the final step in joining a faction? I don't want to join one too soon by accident.

Also, can I do quests for The Order without pissing off Don Estaban, and vice versa?

Yeah, good luck on those Black Wolves. :) They seem to move twice as fast as regular wolves and bite harder. Also, if you see a Ghoul —- RUN! I cannot imagine trying to fight them without some sort of upgraded sword or archery skill. They simply move and strike too swiftly.

Once you can carry a large shiled (I found a rune shield) you can block the wolves bites.

Moriendor,

You're going to have a great "quick start" savegame when you finally decide to commit to a faction.

Yes, that's the plan. Create a really nice all purpose "master save" :) .

Yeah, good luck on those Black Wolves.

Thanks :) . I can kill single black wolves with a little patience. The problem is the packs and the fact that it's really hard to single them out due to the fact that they chase you over such long distances.
That's why I'm killing skeletons and skeleton warriors now. Those are lots easier than black wolves.

Is it obvious when you're about to take the final step in joining a faction? I don't want to join one too soon by accident.
Yes, it is pretty obvious if you keep score. The quests that matter are all in the harbor city and unless you have activated the retro quest system (via editing the XML ini file) you will get a very clear quest message upon completion of one of the deciding quests.
It's four quests on each side and if you finish a quest for one side you get a "x/4" on-screen quest message. Once you get to 3/4 for any one side you will have to pay attention to not "accidentally" joining a faction. That's pretty easy though since the final dialogue line that completes one of the deciding quests always has "… (for the Order)" or "… (for the Don)" in it. If you already are at 3/4 for either the Don or the Order just don't click any line with "… for [x]" but just end the dialogue instead if you do not want to make a final decision yet.

what are your stats?

Well I'm trying to think what my stats were at the time I opened this thread because they are VERY different now.

If I recall, I had 5 in sword fighting and 4 in archery. Str was 38 and dex was 40, though I had a +3 dex ring to boost this. Had learned sneak and had open locks at maximum level of 3.

That's pretty easy though since the final dialogue line that completes one of the deciding quests always has "… (for the Order)" or "… (for the Don)" in it. If you already are at 3/4 for either the Don or the Order just don't click any line with "… for [x]" but just end the dialogue instead if you do not want to make a final decision yet.

I just found out that isn't always the case. I had to reload after accidently joining the Don because I was at 3/4 when I gave the Brugelweed packages to Weasel. It didn't say "For the Don" in the dialogue on that one.

As much as I'm enjoying Risen, I'm very disappointed in how PB set up the faction system. Reaching 4/4 on quests should simply give you the option of joining, not automatically make you a part of that faction. It's a significant flaw imo.

Now that I'm 3/4 for both the Order and the Don, I have to intentionally not finish that quest, which really hurts the role-playing aspect for me.

The option? Maybe they could give you the option at 2 or 3 out of 4 but at 4 out of 4, your deeds *are* your answer.

Back
Top Bottom