Hipsterrun Returns

S

Sacred_Path

So I've sunk a few hours into this. Obviously, there will be differing opinions about the art direction, but for me, the cartoonish style really takes me out of it. Together with the writing in the dialogues, it seems like they were catering to two groups of people: those who'd really like to play in a dystopian setting, and those who want to play ironically.
The combat wouldn't be interesting at all if it wasn't turn based. Playing a Physical Adept, doing the straightforward popamole routine is totally feasible. Melee may be more risky on a higher difficulty, but the question is, does this campaign warrant another playthrough?

I'd advise people to wait until more good fan-made content is out til they buy this, unless they're really starved for TB combat.

Clever title you got there.;)

For a game under $20 I can't fault it, and knowing that the editor will allow more content is icing on the cake. I sometimes wonder what the game could of looked like if it earned $5+ million or more also.

Hipsterrun? No I don't think that is appropriate. The game is disapointing in some ways, but I'm enjoying it, and I'm not enjoying it ironically. I don't know what your expectations were, but it sounds like they were out of proportion.

I don't know what your expectations were, but it sounds like they were out of proportion.

My expectations/ wishlist:

- grittier art direction

- dialogue that doesn't sound like taken out of baby's first crime novel

- more depth to combat

dunno if that's out of proportion.

My expectations/ wishlist:

- grittier art direction

- dialogue that doesn't sound like taken out of baby's first crime novel

- more depth to combat

dunno if that's out of proportion.

None of that warrants the hipster label though, does it?

I would have like more depth to the combat as well, as well as more exploration and less linear experience. The art is pretty much what they have been showing the whole time though, and the writing is fine.

I expected a good game, not a great game, and I think I got that. Not much of an rpg though. Shame if you are disapointed of course, hopefully other kickstarter games will be more to your liking.

The art style isn't as bad as I thought it was prior to release. I'm about 4-5 hours in now, and I don't think the visuals are bad at all. The only thing that bothers me about the environment is how static it is.

I would have like more depth to the combat as well, as well as more exploration and less linear experience. The art is pretty much what they have been showing the whole time though, and the writing is fine.

I expected a good game, not a great game, and I think I got that. Not much of an rpg though. Shame if you are disapointed of course, hopefully other kickstarter games will be more to your liking.

We can agree to disagree on the writing, but I also think it's an ok game. I got my 15(?) dollars' worth I'd say. It's just not in the league where I'd say "if you like TB RPGs, get this", but rather "wait and see what the community comes up with".

We can agree to disagree on the writing, but I also think it's an ok game. I got my 15(?) dollars' worth I'd say. It's just not in the league where I'd say "if you like TB RPGs, get this", but rather "wait and see what the community comes up with".

Pretty much my conclusion too. IMO, it's not bad but it's not great. After messing around with the editor a bit I'm convinced the best of this game will come from the community. HBS did a great job loading it up with extra art assets and it is capable of doing things the main campaign doesn't do (ie non linear stories and lootable corpses). Still glad I grabbed it, looking forward to a less linear Berlin campaign and hoping it all sells well enough for them to continue making games publisher free.

It's got that hipster/facebook/phone art style that I hate so much. It comes off even worse for something that's supposed to be gritty. It's like doing a cell-shaded version of dracula. Yegods.

It's got that hipster/facebook/phone art style that I hate so much. It comes off even worse for something that's supposed to be gritty. It's like doing a cell-shaded version of dracula. Yegods.

The developers actually commented on the art-style in an interview. They said that they went with this one, rather than a photorealistic one, because this one was considerably cheaper to make, and they could make it look relatively close to the current pen & paper artwork. And it's not that far from something that you would expect to find in a Shadowrun rulebook.

Yeah I know it's cheaper but I'd rather have it look like 8 bit than that sort of fake cartoon look that seems to be everywhere.

Except for Torchlight I haven't played any other games with a similar comic look, so I can't say I feel overloaded, personally. Now, the 8-bit look, that really is Hipster today - all the wannabe artsy indies do it ;)

Except for Torchlight I haven't played any other games with a similar comic look, so I can't say I feel overloaded, personally. Now, the 8-bit look, that really is Hipster today - all the wannabe artsy indies do it ;)

Yeah, that is true. I should have said 2D or lo fi but realistic 3D. But I do like 8 bit stuff if it's not all cuted up.

Back
Top Bottom