What games are you playing now?

So far I am few hours into Mars war logs,I decided to give ti try after positive impressions of some forum members.My impressions are not as good as most people here.Gameplay is ok but nothing to get too excited about, dialogs are badly written(writing overall isn't good), and voice acting is poor.I didn't think I will be finishing this one at least not now.I delayed playing Cat lady because of this,so I am returning to that now.

I finished the main quest of Dragonborn, which was altogether a really good add-on, so I'll probably play a bit more Skyrim to test out the new goodies, then move on to something else. Undying's been giving me the eye the last few weeks.

I got in a few hours of Neverwinter. Since I am not a MMO guy I don't expect to be a long-timer, but I am impressed at how much better the open areas at the start are handled than Star Wars The Old Republic. The gameplay feels naturally suited to fit the fantasy action-RPG setting. Not bad at all - especially for free. But note it is a 4GB download, and it has required a patch every time I launched ...

Having been in the beta so long, I forgot all that. I personally love the game. I think the patches will slow down a bit and I was glad I waited a couple days to jump back in after hearing about all the long queues. I like the crafting and the fact I can tinker with it and do crafting jobs using the gateway while I am at work.

I did the tower dungeon with a group last night and a great foundry adventure and I gotta say the user created mod was impressive. Good writing, the guy used an existing area instead of creating his own. A floating in the air ship you had to board and destroy. very creative and I got better rewards there vs the dungeon.

Since it's on Steam sale I've bought The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

And since I couldn't install for whatever reason pink FarCry3 yesterday, installed this adventure instead.
And it's awsome! The story is thrilling, graphics/sound is great (except for odd lipsync issues, but okay, I won't be nitpicking) and puzzles scale from easy to hard (took me a few minutes to "crack" chessbased puzzles, but I believe I've wasted 2 hours on a certain bank chest puzzle). The hintsystem is also added and nicely presented as Sherlock's "sixth sense". If you don't want to waste your time on some puzzle, or if that puzzle seems too hard for you, there is also an option to skip it (well, I won't be doing that, but a nice feature for ppl who just want to see what happens next). Also a thing more I haven't seen elsewhere, based on facts you collect throught the game there is a table with all facts presented where you build a tree with deduction choices - in the end you reconstruct what happened at the certain crime scene.

If the rest of the game is of the same quality as the first few locations, this baby definetly deserves 10/10 - unlike other S. Holmes games I've played, this one contains also humor!

Joxer: maybe you can try The Cat Lady next - my wife liked it alot and from what I heard it is unique.

Back to topic: I am playing Red Faction Guerrilla - what an amazing game! It is an open world game on Mars where your brother was killed by the bad EDF since he was part of the Red Faction resistance movement. You then recieve missions from your safe house to acomplish in any way you please. You have a large array of vechiles to drive and a large array of weapons to buy, upgrade and customise from the salavage that you collect from making damage to EDF structures. Oh, forgot to mention one tiny thing: EVERY STRUCTURE IN THE GAME CAN BE BROKEN DOWN AND DESTROYED using Volition's GeoMod2.0 engine. Damage is also persistant, and as you destroy more EDF facilities, their influence reduces and the morality of the people increases. This is very important, because then you can liberate more regions from the EDF and people can also help you during your misssions which is vital as many missions are difficult to accomplish alone.

I am very impressed with the reactivity in the world, freedom given to the player in terms of approaching missions, the large world, and the contiuous plot/weapons/enemies development in this open world structure. There are also many side missions and achievements scattered on the map that you can follow.

Very impressive world reactivity, and the graphics, sound effects and music are all well done and ahead of their time. It is sad that this game did not get the recognition it deserves (I think it came out the same time as Farcry 2 and Fallout 3).

For me, this is a 9/10 game - the minus one beause of the large/consoley user interface.

I thought about buying TCL when it was released but seriously didn't like the rough yet tried to be turned into pop art graphics style. I've added it to the notes what could be good (to buy eventually), so thanks for the suggestion.

Guerilla you say… One question before I (waste more cash on nonRPG and ;)) buy it - are those vehicles you mention required to drive in missions? I uninstalled Mafia because of stupid formula mission as I despise car simulators. On the other hand, I adored Mako (jumps) in ME.

I thought about buying TCL when it was released but seriously didn't like the rough yet tried to be turned into pop art graphics style. I've added it to the notes what could be good (to buy eventually), so thanks for the suggestion.

I got the game from one of the previous Groupees bundles, so you don't have to buy it now and chances are you will find it later on as part of an indie bundle.

Guerilla you say… One question before I (waste more cash on nonRPG and ;)) buy it - are those vehicles you mention required to drive in missions? I uninstalled Mafia because of stupid formula mission as I despise car simulators. On the other hand, I adored Mako (jumps) in ME.

You don't need to waste money, I bought the Steam code over ebay for £0.99 ($1.4) which is the best best deal in my life. Regarding vehicles (cars, lorries, garbage trucks, taxis, WALKERS (big hulking robots!), EDF armoured vehicles with mounted turrets, Mouranders (savage) vehicles .. etc.), you drive them to reach mission location, pick up guerrillas to raid locations/safe houses, smash into buildings and structures, load them with bombs and drive them into buildings!, but no driving simulation - just pure fun. Also you can have as many jumps over the hills as you want - it is so much fun.

A small warning, if you piss the EDF and the warning level increases, there will be many EDF (respwning) soldiers coming after you until you hide and stay away for a while until your warning level comes down again.

I played few years back but I remember there are some driving missions in main quest line,but those weren't particularly hard.Optional driving missions are lot harder.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate. First time since it came out umpteen years ago. I never finished this game. I got to Baldur's Gate and was overwhelmed with how big it was and just quit :) I also hated nearly every companion in my good-aligned party except Minsc and the female elf mage chick. Imoen was tolerable.

I started a multiplayer game and have a paladin, mage, thief, and Imoen in my party now. I've met Jaheira and Klutz and I guess I'll take them until I find someone else.

Playing Don't starve, old school gaming not in mechanics but in spirit.

Nintendo revival mode, been playing since sunday:
Super Mario Brothers - about 10 hours
Ghost and Goblins - about 6 hours
Aliens 3 - 2 hours

Just got Karate Champ, Defender 2, and Joust in the mail. I'm having so much fun playing these old games!

Ha! Great minds and all ... Charging up my DS Lite and DSi and put together a bunch of games GBA and DS to bring of my work trips this week and next to revisit. Shooters, RPGS, puzzle, strategy, etc.

Finished Hitman Absolution. A bit less Hitman than earlier games and a bit more Splinter Cell, but it still had the Hitman feel particularly on the larger levels like Blackwater. I thoroughly enjoyed it to the extent that I replayed to get all the challenges.

For a change of pace, I remembered I had Grim Fandango sitting in my "to play" box so am just starting that, with the aid of new installer compatible with 64 bit Windows. Digging the humour and the cartoon graphics haven't dated badly at all. Just reached the land of the living...WTF, this game is bizarre, in a good way :)

Last week I spent my gaming budget on Fez and Avernum series from GoG.com. 8 games, $22, not too bad. So I've been playing Fez quite a bit. I have only spent a little bit of time into Avernum 1 and 6, to see how they play out. Not sure if I'm going to start with 1 like I did Geneforge or not.

Fez is an interesting platformer, with the twist of being able to change the area layout by rotating it. It's mostly a puzzler, with difficult (Mega Man-esque pixel-perfect jumps) platforming. Which puts it right up my alley. No enemies, so you're pretty much relegated to basic platforming.

I've also been playing Normality as well, which is a first person point and click from the 1990's. It's mostly a parody of 1984, or also our current US government. I find it amusing, and it's puzzles are not too difficult so those new to the adventure genre or those who just suck at puzzles like me can get through fairly easily.

Normality? Wasn't that the predecessor of Realms of the Haunting? :D Yes, I think it was.

Fez is an interesting platformer, with the twist of being able to change the area layout by rotating it. It's mostly a puzzler, with difficult (Mega Man-esque pixel-perfect jumps) platforming. Which puts it right up my alley. No enemies, so you're pretty much relegated to basic platforming.

I tried fez for around 2 hours and honestly I can't see how it got so many 9s and 10s on review scores.Puzzles are very simplistic(not necessarily bad thing Limbo have relatively simplistic puzzles but they have good design) and not very well designed ,similar goes for platforming.There is nothing wrong with game everything works as intended but I just think game core mechanics aren't good enough imo.

I have only spent a little bit of time into Avernum 1 and 6, to see how they play out. Not sure if I'm going to start with 1 like I did Geneforge or not.

Others correct me if I am wrong, but #1 was remade as Escape from the Pit, if your worry was the antiquated graphics. That's what I've been playing - the game is immense and I really love how the story continuously develops. The difficulty spikes mid-dungeon I could do without, however…

Last edited:
Others correct me if I am wrong, but #1 was remade as Escape from the Pit, if your worry was the antiquated graphics. That's what I've been playing - the game is immense and I really love how the story continuously develops. The difficulty spikes mid-dungeon I could do without, however…

I am the last person you can call a graphics whore. I still play many of the old DOS classics which had rough visuals even for their time, like Phantasie. When I say I'm seeing if I like it or not, I mean gameplay in it's entirety.

For me, as long as the graphics are clear and concise, and I can tell what I'm looking at (sometimes an issue with 3D games or early 2D games), I have no issues with them. I don't mind Avernum's graphics at all.

I tried fez for around 2 hours and honestly I can't see how it got so many 9s and 10s on review scores.Puzzles are very simplistic(not necessarily bad thing Limbo have relatively simplistic puzzles but they have good design) and not very well designed ,similar goes for platforming.There is nothing wrong with game everything works as intended but I just think game core mechanics aren't good enough imo.

TBH, I can't see it deserving 8 or 9 either. Maybe 6 at best, 4 or 5 most likely. I'm more conservative though, and my reviews back when I was doing them tended to be 3-6 for the most part, with very very few breaking 7-8.

However, IMO it is a solid platformer, if needing a bit of polish. Some of the platforming is too pixel perfect, which is a bit much. And this is coming from a Mega Man veteran, whose beaten all the original MM and MMX games repeatedly.

Normality? Wasn't that the predecessor of Realms of the Haunting? :D Yes, I think it was.

I have no idea. The engine was used in Realms of the Haunting, though I don't know if anything else carried over. It doesn't look like it though, just the engine.

Yes, the engine. It was the game Gremlin did before RotH.

Back
Top Bottom