Gothic Brand New to Gothic. Questions on Class/Character Build for Gothic 1

Who? Cavalorn? He has a hut. Go out of the main gate, turn left, run 100m and follow the main path down right.
You can find the exact location on my maps on GothicDot.

Who? Cavalorn? He has a hut. Go out of the main gate, turn left, run 100m and follow the main path down right.
You can find the exact location on my maps on GothicDot.

Sorry, I mispelled his name. I have found his cabin. But he is nowhere to be found. As I mentioned earlier, I even loaded saves from previous days and still nothing. I even checked last night and he isn't there. And yes I made sure I talked to Fingers first where he could be found.

Cavalorn really doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's still strange that he's just gone. Don't think I've ever seen that.

did you look behind his hut? did you try going there without Mordrag? load up a save from almost the start of the game and go to his hut and see if he is there... if he is... then that means that someway he was killed... I don't have any other ideas... try those and tell us what you found

Calavorn (Cavalorn ? I don't even remember his name correctly ... Alas ! my bad memory for names !!! ) gone ? That's indeed strange.

Wasn't he the hunter ? In his area are several bigger beasts, so he could've been killed by them ...

did you look behind his hut? did you try going there without Mordrag? load up a save from almost the start of the game and go to his hut and see if he is there... if he is... then that means that someway he was killed... I don't have any other ideas... try those and tell us what you found

Sometimes he's in front of his hut, but also sometimes in the back. I don't know if he came to the cave behind his hut. I think there were molerats over there.

I always saw him in front but who knows.. the world of gothic is a mistery :p. try what I said...

I have checked both front, back and around. And regarless of the save I load he is gone. Oh well, nothing major I would say and since he wasn't around after all the hours and hours of gameplay I went ahead and lockpicked his chest and I found his key. Nice find.

All this talk about Gothic makes me want to replay it... I think I'll start it just now... at least until I get bored

Rills, you can finish the game without him. People die in Gothic since it is a realistic roleplaying game compared to most others.

On my first play through a guy vital for the main quest fell of a ladder and died. Luckily I had an old save. But do not worry if someone important would die and you don't have any old save. You can bring them back to life by using something called Marvin mode. Do not worry at all! Just play and enjoy! and accept that people could die!

In windows add&remove programs select gothic and of the three choices select "repair" this will check every file and correct to default where required, could take a couple of minutes in serious cases or mostly just a second. Saves will not be affected.If this does't put Cavalorn back into the game there is a possible file deletion or corruption.
Alternatively use the marvin console and the following command near to his hut to insert him if you wish. After he walks to his spawn point do a B42B in the console, save and exit G1, then restart this will continue your game as normal. As only one instance of Cavalorn will function, should you find the another Cavalorn somewhere later, just kill him, no harm will be done.

insert STT_336_CAVALORN
.........................................................................................................................................
For a first timer to G1 Cavalorn should not be outrightly ignored, he is the only npc to teach the sneak skill which is pre-requisite to another skill. It is classed along with hunting skills and stays optionally open throughout the game. Iv'e tested the the bounding box distances in the past and it doesn't make the slightest difference whatsoever to the detection distance when sneaking up on prey to be killed . Some players go as far as to say it is a complete waste of time, yet there is a requirement that can be done only with the skill. Cavalorn says use it for sneaking up on someone from behind in their huts but you must *never get caught* (not even once) or a trigger is dropped permanently ever after. There are some little known quest item/s that can only be got by pickpocketing and sneaking and of course no violence which if enacted would negate the allegience to the guilds triggers (both with sect camp and new camp) a factor which is ignored by even some of the most devoted and ardent G1 players.

Let us know how it goes
Good luck Rills. ;)

One infamous game walkthrough I encountered in the official JoWood forums regarding Gothic 1 favoured to kill EVERYTHING and EVERYONE - except important quest-givers. As a means to maximize the amount of experience points.

Later, after reading this "walkthrough", I wrote a bitter parody of it.

I couldn't understand or see any sens in killing everything alive in a game except quest-givers to maximize one's power.

Of course, one *can* do it, but this is a way I greatly despise, because it's just hack & slay to me, then.
And that in a rather role-play oriented environment like Gothic !

There are more than enough games out there that are based on the role of a killer, a destroyer, an annihilator. I don't need just another game with this theme. I'm overfed with it.

One infamous game walkthrough I encountered in the official JoWood forums regarding Gothic 1 favoured to kill EVERYTHING and EVERYONE - except important quest-givers. As a means to maximize the amount of experience points.

Later, after reading this "walkthrough", I wrote a bitter parody of it.

I couldn't understand or see any sens in killing everything alive in a game except quest-givers to maximize one's power.

Of course, one *can* do it, but this is a way I greatly despise, because it's just hack & slay to me, then.
And that in a rather role-play oriented environment like Gothic !

can you give me the link to that? I want to see your parody! I bet it's funny hehe

Uh, if I can find it ...

I tend to wipe out the Old Camp, but only when "the time is right". The little experience you get from clearing the Swamp Camp and New Camp is hardly worth it, and will most likely end up with having to outrun Cor Angar or Saturas (immortal unless you cheat to make them mortal, even at the end). I suspect you'll get an extra level or so for doing it, but the 10 skill points is certainly not needed.

When building a character in Gothic my main advice is to save the stat boosting potions for your chosen primary stats until you already have 100 in the relevant stat. You can only train str, mana, and dex to 100. I accidentally crippled a mage build by using too many permanent mana potions too early:(

Otherwise it is quite hard to mess up in the game with the last patches. I've only had the game break on me in the dungeon that you explore together with a templar (which is full of event and dialog triggered mini-cutscenes), but any seasoned RPG player would have a save from just before entering that dungeon. Just avoid unprovoked killing and there wont be any problems.

Back
Top Bottom