Project Phoenix - Kickstarter Launched and Funded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Project Phoenix has started their kickstarter and is already funded in one day. Who says JRPG's are dead. Here are the details of the game.

Project Phoenix is a SQUAD-BASED, REAL-TIME STRATEGY GAME combined with strong Japanese RPG design influences, brought to you by top Eastern and Western creators who have worked on many blockbuster game titles.

Platforms: Mainly for Windows, Mac and Linux via Steam and our website. iOS and Android will have a different version to the PC counterparts due to limitations.

We are also working to have the game released on PlayStation 4 and other platforms but is yet to be confirmed.
More information.

Is the game going to feature cute doe-eyed kids with spiky hairdos and over-sized weapons? Will it be dripping with saccharin sentimentality and sadness?

Keep in mind, it doesn't take much to get your funding met on KS.

What does take a lot is putting a completed product out. People seem to have trouble doing that.

200k with "only" 3000 backers makes 666$ per backer. Isn't that extremely high or am I mistaken?

200k with "only" 3000 backers makes 666$ per backer. Isn't that extremely high or am I mistaken?
Well they show how many bought each tier so no not correct.:) The few hundred who purchased the larger tiers are probably the reason. The project already doubled it's initial goal in just two days.

I love jRPGs so I was ready to pledge... until I saw it is actually a RTS game, so not for me.

In there own words-
Project Phoenix is a JRPG with a squad based RTS game design
It is a JRPG there just changing how the combat works. Innovation is the one thing lacking in JRPGs the last 5-10 years.

Well, even if it's not using pure rpg turn-based combat, if it's really successful it could still be the gateway to the future for more 'pure' jrpg games coming about, much like Double Fine's success spawned Wasteland 2 getting put up and funded, which also encouraged Project Eternity to give it a go and then Torment, with all of them indicating there's still a market which helped Might and Magic along, and so on.

Until I see proper 3D models of characters and environments I will not pledge. I don't like to play characters with large heads, big eyes and small bodies with fluffy animals (or pokemons) around them.

Last edited:
The one image I saw on the site of a concept game scene didn't look that exciting. But it sure seems to be going gangbusters right now. Might even set a new record.

0397dc54a18b01f458e25ae6337be0e4_large.jpg

In there own words-
It is a JRPG there just changing how the combat works. Innovation is the one thing lacking in JRPGs the last 5-10 years.

True, but CIA hasn't revealed enough about the combat system to show that it will be innovative. Right now their pitch is basically "Hey, look at all of the big names working on this project. Give us money!" All we have been told about the combat system is that it is real time and the characters will "behave intelligently when they are not under your direct control". Do we have any input as to how they behave? i.e., Will it be like the gambit system in FFXII (tactics in Dragon Age: Origins)? I think we need more to go than vague promises that it will tactical and innovative.

How can the combat be "tactical"l if 3/4 of your party is controlled by AI? It's always disappointing to me when I see RPG developers dismiss turn-based systems as "archaic" as if being a real-time "action RPG" automatically means it will be superior.

^ Perhaps they'll reveal more in future updates?

I certainly hope so. Some people have asked for more info about the combat in the backer comments and all they've said is something like "We can't compare it to any existing games because there aren't any like it". The vague plot outline and gameplay concept they have presented has clearly been enough to get almost $300K in pledges in just two days; of course some of those people could cancel their pledges if they aren't satisfied with the updates, but perhaps they won't be motivated to reveal more if the pledges keep coming in. Hell, AFAIK inXile still hasn't revealed whether Torment: ToN will have turn-based or real time w/ pause combat.

although it seems interesting and promising i will wait since im not big fan of JRPG and secondly they didn't show anything from the actual game except some concepts

This Kickstarter reminds me of Project Eternity: a solid trailer built primarily on nostalgia, lacking in original ideas.

Back
Top Bottom