Divinity 2 - Review @ PCGames

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
PCGames have reviewed Divinity 2 and rank it at 80%. The story gets a thumbs down as do the battle system (especially when using arrows) and the user interface( maps, qeust & shop interfaces). A thumbs up goes to the quests, music and voiceacting, the possibility to create your own creature and the flexibility in creating your character.
If your German (or your translator) is good enough; the full review can be read here.
More information.

I have to say it is funny, the two by far most talented people involved in the game is the quest designer and sound/music composer..... no wounder it is these parts to get much praise... I also know both of them personally quite well :) I am sure they will move on to even greater tasks in the future!

What you say GG indeed shows how the dev/designer/composer/etc' skills translate through to the end product.

The final result is the sum-of-the-whole and it is the weak links that then stick out like sore thumbs by comparison - dragon flying, levelling etc'.

I remain unsure -waiting for english critical reviews :-/

Imho the quests and the environments were - in my opinion, of course - always the strongest points of the Divinity-Games.

I cannot say much about the music, because it wasn't that important to me, then.

I trust these reviews very little. The original DD was panned in the U.S. by the so-called "professional reviewers" and yet I know many here loved the game.

I trust actual gamers reviews such as the people here who play the game miles ahead of the professionals.

Yes, especially since that first dungeon was the main part of the demo ...

...but like many, thought the opening dungeon was a little weak. Bad first impression faked out a lot of people on that game.

I loved the first Divine Divinity game. But I agree, quickly putting the player underground in that looooooong to complete dungeon was a mistake.

I love a good dungeon crawl as part of a broader CRPG experience. But one thing a lot of CRPGs do is quickly put the player in an underground environment right at the start.

It might just be me, but I really would prefer to remain on the surface when I first start a CRPG before I do a lengthy romp underground.

I think everyone agrees with that but, fortunately, the game is worth surviving that first dungeon for the latter gameplay.

My memory is that the serious major NA sites reviewed DivDiv quite well, all things considered.

From memory, the major gripe in the US was with the Title!! :)

I actually really enjoyed the first dungeon of divdiv. It wasn't so hard if you ripped of the market wizard of his level 30 book and id5 dagger before you went at it. I guess that it really wasn't the first dungeon - just the closest one to where you start. :)

I just remember ... well, frankly not much, because it got very little attention at the time.

I trust these reviews very little. The original DD was panned in the U.S. by the so-called "professional reviewers" and yet I know many here loved the game.

Not true at all really, Divine Divinity actually got pretty good reviews in general over here, even from the so called "mainstream" sites.

I just remember ... well, frankly not much, because it got very little attention at the time.

That's "basically" how I remember it going down. It was the word of mouth that worked in favor of this game. Yes, there were some favorable reviews, but there was a ton of gamers saying- bar the opening dungeon-this game was an all time classic. The reviews didn't make me want to Div Div, it was the powerful word of mouth that got me on board.

So the 80% review will be totally ignored by me. But because DD2 is a day one purchase for me, I won't be waiting for gamer word of mouth.

Let me also add the music was spectacular in Div Div. It boggles my mind that it wasn't noticed by some.

I actually really enjoyed the first dungeon of divdiv.

It's not that I didn't like the dungeon. I just would have preferred not being put into it right at the very start. I really wanted to explore the overworld more before being put in a long dungeon romp.

Let me also add the music was spectacular in Div Div. It boggles my mind that it wasn't noticed by some

????? it won several awards for outstanding achievment in music awards ?????? so how is that not noticed by some?

That's "basically" how I remember it going down. It was the word of mouth that worked in favor of this game. Yes, there were some favorable reviews, but there was a ton of gamers saying- bar the opening dungeon-this game was an all time classic. The reviews didn't make me want to Div Div, it was the powerful word of mouth that got me on board.

Admittedly, this was before I 'came back' to the RPG fold and was mostly immersed in FPS games ... but still, I certainly knew about NWN and Diablo II etc.

I can't give all the reviews but there were those that panned the game. I think it would have sold even more in the U.S.
I think you're letting your personal opinion of video game critics influence the truth. As others have noted, most critics gave it a great review, it has a Metacritic score of 82%. In fact, I recall the opposite happening. Critics gave it relatively positive reviews, but the general gaming public either looked at those reviews or played the demo and dismissed it as a low budget Diablo ripoff with a bad name. The fact it was released by a smaller publisher at around the same time as Morrowind, Icewind Dale II and NWN probably didn't do it any favours, either.

Back
Top Bottom