Venetica - Review @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The first major English review for Venetica is out at Eurogamer and while the score is only 6/10, it definitely sounds worth a look if you like lite RPG/adventures. The combat and beautiful locations are noted along with a general lack of polish:
In spite of all this, Venetica has some soul. Don't expect an RPG of depth – it's heavy on the action, light on customisation, and rewarding loot is rare. It's also in desperate need of more time in the womb, and the results of that are felt all over. But by and large, the sense of location and the constant weft of combat meant that I spent much of the fifteen hours it took to complete in a state of gentle enjoyment – and that definitely counts for something.
More information.

He says here that it was a 15 hour game. Can anyone confirm or deny?

15 hours? The reviewer must have been rushing like a mad man. I think I needed more than 30 hours the first time through. With quick save patched in I would say 25 hours is realistic.

Over 30 hours for me …
and
rewarding loot SHOULD BE rare/hard to find in a good rpg.

There are difficult chest-finding quests in Venetica.
I think you need more than 15 hours for the game if you
want to find these chests.

Rushing through a game and then critisizing it, for something
you have missed, is unfair.

I guess that this is viewed as any other action RPG : Loot has to be lots, and to be dropped by every enemy.

Thanks Gorath and Hidden, that is reassuring.

I had pretty much crossed it off my list at 15 hrs. No point in going through the trouble and expense of importing, especially at a 6/10 with a game-breaking glitch (I'm hoping for some better reviews in the future). But 25 to 30 hours is not so bad. I'm past the day when I can enjoy a 100+ hour game. 30 enjoyable hours is just fine.

I'm slower than most players, but I was up to hour 8 or 9 when I defeated the first boss and had completed around 6 quests in the city. The city is full of them. For him to just bypass everything and finish it in 15 hours is ridiculous. I know I'm slow and search every nook and cranny when playing, but 15 hours??? He must of skipped everything and just did the main quests.

Don't go by this guys rating. It's a good game. The only problem I had with it was that it was too easy. Trying it out on hard a little later might help with that.

Oh and the fact that spells are useless against the bosses. That sorta annoyed me as well.

10/10
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Fable 2

9/10
New Vegas

7/10
The Witcher

6/10
Risen
Divine Divinity 2

All you really need to know about eurolamer and their mentality. For some reason they literally love to suck off some developers and equally love to give some perceived underdogs hard time.

The bigger the developing studio, the higher the points ?
This is how it looks at me.

10/10 for Oblivion , very intriguing ! i will search for the review .

*IGN does the same with studios BTW , still the best information for any game are the hate posts in official forum and criticism on same genre gaming sites .

I ve seen some gameplay videos of Venetica and it includes some nice swordfighting , i think i 'll like it.

Back
Top Bottom