Sins of solar empire rebellion

Nameless one

Wizzard
Sins of solar empire rebellion came out yesterday downloading on steam now.I am so excited but it's unlikely that I will play before weekend because I than I will have enough of time required for playing grand strategy such as sins of solar empire.

I have the original SoaSE packaged with maybe one of the first expansions. It has fallen low on the backlog list, since its an RTS and not as well received as others on my list such as Homeworld? Would you agree?

I heard among fans its very popular. I wonder if rebellion is as tediously long as the first one is rumoured to be.

Took me a while to get into Sins of a Solar Empire, but I love the game now. I always liked the feel of the Galactic Civ games too, so that probably helps even though they're different type of games they do, in my opinion, share a lot.

I have the original SoaSE packaged with maybe one of the first expansions. It has fallen low on the backlog list, since its an RTS and not as well received as others on my list such as Homeworld? Would you agree?

I wouldn't compare SoSE to other RTS it's more comparable to other 4x strategies like Galactic Civilization II or Civilization V(on largest maps game can last equally long too)

Hmm, It could help but its still quite a different beast, if you feel up to it I would suggest looking at grabbing Galactic Civilization 2. The complete edition is fairly 20$ on steam.

Hmm, It could help but its still quite a different beast, if you feel up to it I would suggest looking at grabbing Galactic Civilization 2. The complete edition is fairly 20$ on steam.

Agreed.I consider Galactic civilization 2 to be one of best strategies ever made(along with Europa universalis III).If you plan to try civilization skip IV and take V(also new expansion coming soon)or III

I am hesitant to get GCiv 2. I've heard many opinions about it being boring. I'll need to understand why that is before investing time in it.

Also I am trying to avoid adding more unplayed games to my backlog. ;)

EDIT: Regarding SoaSE:R - minimum specs don't include XP. Does that mean it won't run on XP SP3 like the earlier versions? Stardock, Bizarre...

Last edited:
Maybe Stardock just doesn't have any more machines running XP? That's a mighty old OS now.

I played the first Sins and liked it but it just made me want to go play Gal Civ 2 more. Sins is a hybrid 4X/RTS game. Saying it's a 4X game with a few RTS elements would be like saying Deus Ex is an RPG with a few shooter elements. I've never been able to get into RTS games so I guess that's why I could never quite warm up to Sins.

Gal Civ 2 is solid 4X gaming. There's lots of races plus great flexibility in customizing races (your own and enemy races). You also have huge flexibility in designing how your ships look. One thing I really like is the ability to take over other planets via superior cultural influence. The big minus, though, is that it's all strategy. The tactical battles are completely hands off.

Sword of the Stars 1 (not 2… at least not quite yet) trades the ability to customize races with races that use very different modes of transport. One race will have the typical free movement you normally see in these games, another follows warp tunnels, another builds gates that will transport instantly - once they finally get built, and so on. It also switches into something of a mini-RTS when there's a tactical battle.

I liked both Civ 4 and Civ 5. Civ 5 has more radical ideas. It's the only 4X I know where it isn't always to your advantage to get bigger. (Though I guess we saw some of that in Civ 4.)

Oh, and Endless Space is hanging around out there, too. That's kind of a 4X-lite, which is something the industry could certainly use. Great game for people who've never played a 4X game before.

Well I'm waiting for three 4X games coming out this or next year.

1 Endless Space -http://endless-space.amplitude-studios.com/

Interesting this games uses model similar to kickstarter games things like voting,more community involvement creation process,opening earlier versions of the game for those involved.

Edit:All 3 games look like they have potential but I am not sure they are pretenders to throne.

So GC 2 is more like MOO? I loved MOO, but have yet to play MOO 2. I've heard MOO2 is better than both, and it's already payed for. ;)

Well I consider GC 2 to be best 4x game and one of best strategy with this many MOO 2 funs will disagree.Anyway if you like MOO you definitely should try GC 2 even if you don't like it more I am sure you won't be disappointed.Also GC is one of rare games where on higher difficulties AI actually gets smarter.

MOO2: BAA was mighty good but it's also mighty old.

Sword of the Stars Wiki can point you to a demo for that game.

Back
Top Bottom