Risen Risen 2 info

It's never been possible to play a "jack of all trades" type character in PB's games, and I would like to see it continue that way.

Hmm... I don't know. That might depend a bit on one's playstyle. In previous PB games my character has always been a "jack of all trades" in a way (with the exception of magic... I mean you either joined the mage faction, or you didn't and if you didn't you had to rely on scrolls). If you used all of the available resources (rings, potions, stone tablets etc.) to learn and boost your skills then it was possible to pick up just about every single skill. I don't remember ever having to make a really tough choice whether I wanted to go this way or that way or have this ability or that other one. It was perfectly possible to pick up all of the thieving and acrobatics skills and still be a master of your chosen combat path for example. This is one area where I felt that their games could have always needed some improvement in the balancing. The replay value would be much higher if you were forced to make some tough decisions on which path to take. Well, maybe in Risen 2...

Hmm… I don't know. That might depend a bit on one's playstyle. In previous PB games my character has always been a "jack of all trades" in a way (with the exception of magic… I mean you either joined the mage faction, or you didn't and if you didn't you had to rely on scrolls). If you used all of the available resources (rings, potions, stone tablets etc.) to learn and boost your skills then it was possible to pick up just about every single skill. I don't remember ever having to make a really tough choice whether I wanted to go this way or that way or have this ability or that other one. It was perfectly possible to pick up all of the thieving and acrobatics skills and still be a master of your chosen combat path for example. This is one area where I felt that their games could have always needed some improvement in the balancing. The replay value would be much higher if you were forced to make some tough decisions on which path to take. Well, maybe in Risen 2…

Anyone could learn the miscellaneous skills like animal skinning, acrobatics, etc., but I'm talking about mastering the higher levels of magic vs melee and vice versa. There was always a clear distinction between those paths.

I don't think something like thieving, which has always played a minor role in PB's games, should be exclusive to one path.

Sounds a bit more like Witchers approach: you are largely a fighter, with some additional tricks to choose from. While I hope that won't be what PB does for all eternity, I think it should be fun enough for one or two Pirate-themed games.

It's always been possible to be a "jack of several trades" in PB games, except in NotR or G3 with the community patch. By several trades I mean melee + either bows/crossbows or magic. In the original Gothic, for example, it's entirely possible to max out both bow and melee, in addition to 100 strength and dex. It's a bit harder when it comes to magic, but a Templar with 100 strength, max 2H and circle 4 magic is capable of playing almost like a mage.

It is possible to complete PB games without putting any points into melee, but I rarely do it. I always get at least expert 1H fighting + some basic fighting stats.

Apparently the game will feature quick time events.
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/60794-Risen-2-will-have-QTE

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have to say I´ve finally stopped feeling cautiously optimistic about the game, too much stuff I´m not really enthused about has piled up.

I'll need to see more info before passing judgment. QTEs don't bother me if they're handled the right way, like in TW2 for example. I'd be surprised if PB were foolish enough to make it a common occurrence.

I'll need to see more info before passing judgment. QTEs don't bother me if they're handled the right way, like in TW2 for example.
Can´t say QTEs in TW2 really bothered me, but I would still prefer the game to be without them. They certainly didn´t make the game a better RPG and I would argue they didn´t make it a better action game either, just a better "cinematic game".
They´re disconnected from character stats/abilities and player-character control feels very indirect and arbitrary. I was glad that after the Kayran encounter designers pretty much dropped them.

I'd be surprised if PB were foolish enough to make it a common occurrence.
Well, this thread (in german) seems like the initial source of the info and apparently there will be two types of QTEs in the game.
First type is the usual cutscene stuff and is supposed to be rare.
Second type happens in normal combat - the poster (Fraus) provided an example of alligators which can grab you in mouth during combat and you then have to press space frantically to fill a bar fast to be released, otherwise you die.
Supposedly some other monsters have this kind of special attack as well.
No doubt there´ll be more precise info later, but for now I tentatively think this is stupid (not that I like the notion of cutscene QTEs in a Piranha Bytes game either).

Last edited:
Ok, this is bad… Is there a demo planed? I suddenly feel the urge to wait a bit…

P.S: Why the hell do they keep adding this crap to every new RPG ?! Is there some sort of market study that indicates a public demand for crappy features of this kind or something? All I see is people saying that they are not a game breaker to them, at best, when they are being discussed :mad:

P.S: Why the hell do they keep adding this crap to every new RPG ?!

Keyboards, gamepads and mouses vendors request them.

/joke

seems like the initial source of the info and apparently there will be two types of QTEs in the game.
First type is the usual cutscene stuff and is supposed to be rare.
Second type happens in normal combat - the poster (Fraus) provided an example of alligators which can grab you in mouth during combat and you then have to press space frantically to fill a bar fast to be released, otherwise you die.
Supposedly some other monsters have this kind of special attack as well.
No doubt there´ll be more precise info later, but for now I tentatively think this is stupid (not that I like the notion of cutscene QTEs in a Piranha Bytes game either).

Arrgh. I agree regarding the witcher 2, QTE didn't bother me much there, but I sure don't see it as a positive thing either. Not good news.

Because the storytelling can become more cinematic if you have to press a predefined button at a certain time. You get more involved, etc.

All BS.

Ok, this is bad… Is there a demo planed? I suddenly feel the urge to wait a bit…

P.S: Why the hell do they keep adding this crap to every new RPG ?! Is there some sort of market study that indicates a public demand for crappy features of this kind or something? All I see is people saying that they are not a game breaker to them, at best, when they are being discussed :mad:

You can thank consoles for that. Imo.

Yeah, and well, I know the reasoning as Gorath pointed out but I was wondering why everyone and his dog thinks it is going to make their game more successful/is a killer feature…

I have to assume people over at the IGN/Gamer something forums are positively swooning and raving about them and only we relics here view them as something less than desirable. :-/

Back
Top Bottom