Atari - New D&D Game Rumoured

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Just saw this rumour at Blue's News, and as Atari have the rights to quite a few new domains with Neverwinter in the title...
It seems a new day may soon dawn for Atari's Neverwinter series of Dungeons & Dragons games, as superannuation expands upon a Gen Con 2010: D&D New Products Seminar article on Critical Hits with a cryptic mention saying: "Atari has an announcement coming about some kind of D&D video game but they couldn’t talk about it here." They offer a bunch of domains they've sleuthed out that likely relate to this, which are visitneverwinter.com, neverwinter-game.com, neverwintergame.com, play-neverwinter.com, playneverwinter.com, save-neverwinter.com, and saveneverwinter.com.
More information.

Normally i would excited about this news, but, with the direction of RPG's these days, i don't have very high expectations. It will probably be a console with a PC port at best.

Guess it's was about time all those NWN MMO rumours to be made official. Otherwise at leas some of all those newly register domains would have a 3 in the title ...

Really, these days you hear D&D and it might as well end up being a shooter.

If you can DM in it and create your own worlds, sounds good to me! Otherwise, I'll pass...

-g

Agree with the pessimistic comments, not excited about this, probably another idiotic MMO. The professional rpg industry is in a funk, at least there are indies though filling the gap. I'm thinking of what the developer of the Eschalon games could do with a serious budget...

Its another "QUICKWIN" bullcrap , new Cryptic&Atari are trying to pull.

Just like Star Wars Online and Heroes online.

This "Newervinter Online" was rumored several times allready...

Why oh why didnt WOTC allready cancel Atari licence :mad:

The most painfully obvious route, would be to make a 4E MMO - since 4E is already based on the MMO mindset.

A dreadfully boring concept - but that would be my guess.

Isn't the online part of NWN already some kind of MMO ? Only with GM and players. The modules are the "instances".

Isn't the online part of NWN already some kind of MMO ? Only with GM and players. The modules are the "instances".

You think this is about providing players with a quality experience?

Nah, it's about subscription fees or microtransactions.

NWN is "free" in that regard - so they need to provide a new incentive.

No, I rather thought in terms of mechanics.

No, I rather thought in terms of mechanics.

The persistent server feature has a pretty severe limitation in terms of player-capacity. I believe something like 64 or 128 players online at maximum.

Hardly "massively multiplayer" - and besides, the technology is old and requires too much player involvement.

Wouldn't fit the casual market - and we all know that's the ultimate target.

Definitely hope for a non-MMO. Really, I don't care what edition the rules are, so long as it is party based and has a really good story!

An MMO or multiplayer NWN might be fun. Haven't seen it yet so so it's hard to know for sure. I tried NWN1 multiplayer w/a comprehensive mod six months ago and found it promising but to my liking.

I just hope it's an action game, in the tradition of the P&P ruleset.

Back
Top Bottom